Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:29:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames podcasts  (Read 767 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Wargames podcasts
« on: May 24, 2019, 01:27:22 PM »
I was wondering if anyone could recommend any interesting/informative/entertaining wargaming and/or history podcasts. I've finally sorted out my hobby room and could do with something to listen to whilst I paint!

Offline skirmisher

• Librarian
Re: Wargames podcasts
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 04:49:47 PM »
The Lardy Oddcasts are  nice, affable listen

http://toofatlardies.libsyn.com/

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 04:51:56 PM »
Meeples & Miniatures. Also The WSS podcast (Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 09:05:59 PM »
Thanks gents.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 09:15:37 PM »
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - always a selection of free episodes and sets, as well as episodes to buy. He is amazing. He basically picks a military history subject, reads about 20 books on it, then delivers an extended, insightful and hugely entertaining lecture on that topic, spread across 5 or 6 episodes, with each episode lasting 4 or 5 hours. Absolutely perfect to paint to. His series on WW1, 'Blueprint for Armageddon' is simply brilliant. All 30 hours of it  :o 8)
https://www.dancarlin.com/product-category/hardcore-history/

Meeples and Miniatures on the other hand...  ::)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 07:26:39 AM »
Could not agree more about Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. I've been a keen listener since I was recommended his Punic Nightmares series when it came out all those years ago. Ghosts of the Ostfront is my absolute favourite series by him, I wish he'd covered that conflict later so we got a Blueprint for Armageddon sized serving! That said, BfA was an astounding series! They all are, really!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:52:00 AM by Gibby »

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 02:29:34 PM »
Thirded for Dan Carlin. Do not take his stuff as gospel (his Ghosts of the Ostfront is rather behind the curve in historiography these days), but great listening none the less.

Listening to him is, however, dangerous business. I listened to his episode on Jutland in Blueprint of Armageddon and somehow ended up with the complete order of battle for Jutland in 1/6000. I still don't know how it happened...

Offline Huascar

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 09:39:59 AM »
Depends what you like to play. There are many game and company specific casts: No Dice No Glory, SNAFU, A Few Brits and the Hobby, Down Order, Juggernaughts, Cast Dice, Warlord Podcast, The Veteran Wargamer, Paint all the Minis.......and many more. If you are going to start somewhere Meeples and Miniatures is one of the oldest and best.