Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:12:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690455
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My 15mm Italian Wars project for Furioso  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Leman

• Scientist
Re: My 15mm Italian Wars project for Furioso
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 12:36:15 PM »
A few more bits and pieces featuring some old and some new pieces to enable Impetus based figure to be used with Furioso.

Two more condottiere from my original project. I shall leave these as they are rather than rebase.

A universal Italian skirmish unit by painting up two additional QRF figures for a half base, making a Furioso three base unit.

A Venetian skirmish unit.

Two skirmish screen bases for the Romandiole pike. Furioso allows a pike unit to have a skirmish screen base for every complete four bases in the pike unit. The Romandiole have eight bases.
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 05:20:27 PM »
These look good.

I was wanting to give Furiso a whirl, but having recently rebased huge amounts of figures on to 40x40mm squares, which would give 2 Furiso bases, but deep rather than wide like yours, I was a bit short of skirmishes. But seeing how few figures are needed for skirmishers, I should be able to get some 40x20mm bases done.

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 05:56:28 PM »
These bases are in fact 40x30. When I first did Impetus back in 2008, the base size for 15mm skirmishers was given as 80x20 or 30. I opted for the deeper base having suffered from narrow bases too easily flipping over in a game. Consequently the half Impetus base, representing one Furioso base, can seem a little deep but the depth keeps it steady and allows for more diorama effects, which i really like in my games (although I appreciate it is not to everyone’s taste).

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »
Leman,

Very nice

I love the Imputus basing scheme and have used it for my recent ancient projects and and am rebasing old project, including Great Italian Wars.  The size of the bases and the figure numbers used make it really appealing

Keep up the good work

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2019, 10:44:39 AM »
The basing is nearly dry on my first new unit of gendarmes - Milanese lanze spetzate - from Rank and File figures long gathering dust. However not wanting to waste time I had available I knocked up some test markers for Furioso, borrowing an idea from the ACW rules, Altar of Freedom (pretty sure Greg won’t mind). The front figures are infantry and cavalry casualty markers. Sometimes markers can get lost on a crowded battlefield, so I have given them a border of red. The two at the rear are cavalry disorder markers, bordered yellow. I wanted the markers to be simple but effective, so for those I was able to rebase I used rounded corner bases and a simple yellow green painted base with the border. The three mounted bases were too nice to start prising the figures off for rebasing, so I simply painted the borders over the previous texture.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 10:46:17 AM by Leman »

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2019, 05:29:20 PM »
Finally completed my first unit of Milanese cavalry. These are Rank and File figures that I have had unpainted for about 15 years. The army pack contained 12 knights and four lighter cavalry figures. I decided to use the light cavalry as outriders for the knights so that it gave me 16 figures for the four base Furioso unit (and two Basic Impetus units).

I used some superb flags from Petes Flags on Ebay (search using petesflags). These are typical condottiero flags, this one being Condottiere 10. I also put a couple of Peter Pig Wars of the Roses casualties on a couple of the bases to represent ridden down enemy pikemen.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2019, 12:17:26 AM »
Nice one. As a gamer who prefers knights over pike, I support your choice in basing.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2019, 09:31:10 AM »
Indeed - I went for a red and white theme as these chaps will be coming up against Venice’s Romagnol mercenaries. I have also decided to enhance the base with a couple of dropped pike, so still not quite finished.

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 09:09:05 AM »
A second unit of Milanese heavy cavalry/gendarmes. The original centre base features and eclectic mix of Minifigs, Essex, Mirliton and Foundry figures. The two supplementary bases are Minifigs from the lead mountain again.

The two Foundry 15mm figures are in this close up picture. The one with the blue painted helmet and the one with the tall red plume. This was a short-lived 15mm range sculpted by the Perrys. They appeared in the late 80s IIRC but along with other 15mm Foundry ranges were withdrawn after a couple of years. The figures were exceptionally good and their withdrawal was a pity.

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 09:46:40 PM »
I have now expanded the first of my mounted Impetus Venetian units for Furioso. The original was all Venexia apart from the standard bearer who is a Mirliton figure. The two expanded wings are a mix of Mirliton and Essex.

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 11:48:18 AM »
I’m going to take a short break from painting IW figures, whilst concentrating on an expansion to my 10mm SYW armies, in order to provide some club members with a Maurice experience. I’ll be back here when I have played the trial Furioso game, but until then will be over in the big battalions.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 12:45:04 PM »
I just caught up now with this thread. You have done a great job here, congrats!
I'm a fan of SYW, I'm sure your expansions will be very interesting!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2019, 04:18:03 PM »
First up will be the Prussian 5th Hussars, followed by another unit of Prussian cuirassiers, a unit of Prussian infantry then some more Prussian artillery and cavalry - all based up for use with either Maurice of HOW.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2019, 06:51:07 PM »
See you then again, either at the Big Battalions section, or at HoW forum! Cheers!