Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:55:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Alternative use for the Musketeer "British Civil War" figures?  (Read 7050 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
I have been drooling over the Musketeer "British Civil War" for too long  ;D

Have to buy them, question is only what to use them for... I am not so keen on "alternative history" and would rather find a suitable historical conflict to give them employment. The Spanish Civil War seems possible. What other conflicts using British kit and weapons would be possible?

Grateful for any help!

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
Re: Alternative use for the Musketeer "British Civil War" figures?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »
The conflict in Ireland for independence.
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »
Is the British equipment not too late for the Irish Troubles?

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 09:45:43 AM »
Any post WW1 conflect, say some up riseing in Africa or the old Norhtwest fronter. Or troble in Sengapore and china as a whole.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 09:55:12 AM »
The 1938 Belgian civil war...:

http://www.tsoa.be/html/titelblad_to_arms.html

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 10:42:46 AM »
Inter-war North-West Frontier.  There were still skirmishes and raids and all sorts of low-level activity going on in the 20s and 30s up there.

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 11:28:46 AM »
The armed civilians could be used for early WW2 Home guard.

Although the problem then is that as the Germans never invaded you would still be fighting "alternative history" to use them.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »
Spanish civil war
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 01:59:35 PM »
The armed civilians could be used for early WW2 Home guard.

Although the problem then is that as the Germans never invaded you would still be fighting "alternative history" to use them.

Indeed, but we've just put our (free) "fun Home Guard" rules online, exactly with that in mind:

and added a twitch whereby Hodges (the Air Warden Chief) is - as always - displeased with the HG performance and decides to create an armed "Civil Guard" from the AW ranks, in civy clothing but wearing the (black) AW helmets to do better...  Why the black version (and not the white one)?  Simply because I have painted my Musketeer B.U.F. militia's helmets black, and this way I can use the same figures for two different type of games.  We all agree Hodges & Mainwaring would not fire life ammo at each other (...) so I came up with the following:

"As soon as the Home Guard units had received proper uniforms and weapons instead of pitchforks and the like, it was realised that drill and practice at the fire range wouldn’t be enough to make real soldiers out of the recruits. Staging mock battles in the area to be defended would be crucial for their success. This was all very well, but how would casualties be simulated?
They couldn’t just open fire on each other, could they?… Fortunately for the troops in our area, Pvts Walker and Frazer came up with a brilliant idea which they named the “Grease Gun”: a combination of a rifle and… a grease gun, which they patented…
Walker had a sufficient supply of these from an overstock and Frazer engineered the combination in his workshop. These fine gentlemen (…) graciously agreed to produce the Grease Guns for a small fee (“to help with the war effort”). The principle was simple: the grease gun was attached to the rifle and a rubber tube (inserted airtight through the chamber in the barrel) guided the machine oil the grease gun was filled with (under pressure) in the barrel of the rifle. Aiming the gun and pressing the grease gun’s handle resulted in a beam of oil being “fired” at the target. Any opponent covered in oil would clearly be a “casualty”. “Wargames” could now easily be staged between different HG platoons or even Hodges’ “Civil Guard” without anyone being harmed beyond nothing a good scrub couldn’t mend…"

You can find a pic of the Grease Gun" at page 21 of the rules.

Rudi

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »
I used mine as Partizan's/Resistance  LINK
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 04:33:33 PM »
Any of the Civil Wars or Freikorps stuff in Eastern and Central Europe after WW1.

Nazi putsch attempts and political riots and violence in urban Germany in the 20's. There was a reason Adolf created the SA. Political parties routinely killed or beat their adversaries in Weimar Germany.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 06:25:02 PM »
Thanks for all your input. Question is if the British kit they are wearing can be used for anything else than British troops?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 06:37:36 PM »
Thanks for all your input. Question is if the British kit they are wearing can be used for anything else than British troops?
Hmm to be honest you will be stuck really with either Britian or its commonwealth countries for the equipment.
Some like the workers and the IWI IRA can be used more easily for SCW and Europe in general

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 07:34:30 PM »
Also useful for any pulp, BoB or Call of Cthulhu setting where you want heavily armed British adventurers. Men in civilian clothing with rifles and Lewis Guns would be perfect for adding fire support to fossil hunters in Mongolia and jiust think of the mess they would make of come of the CoC monsters  ;)

I had a look the stuff made by Musketeer today at the Bovington show. They have some very nice stuff along these lines. I am seriously tempted to get a couple of their lancia armoured trucks to support my BoB British.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 09:01:43 PM »
Is the British equipment not too late for the Irish Troubles?

A bit late for the 1920s, yes.
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.