Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:40:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690814
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help me find fun books!  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
Help me find fun books!
« on: May 29, 2019, 06:40:43 PM »
Hey there everyone. I've recently been listening a lot to the audio books of bernard cornwell during painting. It's very relaxing and I can recommend it greatly. however I just ran out of his HYW stuff and am looking for more things similar.

To be specific I listened to the entire grail quest and afterwards to Agincourt too (very cool that Thomas of Hookton gets mentioned).

Does anyone have any cool recommendations from a similar time period and similar style of books?

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: Help me find fun books!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 06:47:51 PM »
Not medieval but well written and detailed, I’d suggest the Witcher series. I’m listening to the audiobooks currently and thoroughly enjoying them.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 06:51:50 PM »
Conn Iggulden is generally a rip roaring historical writer in the mould of Bernard Cornwell. He's written a series set in the Wars of the Roses.

His fantasy novels are also very good. The Blade Itself l novels by Joe Avercromvie are also fantasy novels that I'd recommend if you like that sort of thing.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »
Both suggestions are on my digital bookshelve... I am a great fan of the witcher stories in the games and even got a very cool triss merrigold statue for my birthday.

I started Stormbird because I couldn't find anything so soon.

Thank you very much though! It's good to know both suggestions would measure up.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 07:09:47 PM »
Love Joe Abercrombie. Heartily recommend any of his works.
Conn Iggulden’s Wars of the Roses series are jolly storytelling but so full of historical tosh and period inaccuracies in arms, armour, tactics and actual history, that I found them incredibly annoying to read.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 07:16:39 PM »
Love Joe Abercrombie. Heartily recommend any of his works.
Conn Iggulden’s Wars of the Roses series are jolly storytelling but so full of historical tosh and period inaccuracies in arms, armour, tactics and actual history, that I found them incredibly annoying to read.

Ha that's interesting. I don't know a great deal about that period so that didn't annoy me. Although I do seem to remember having that reaction to his Roman books. I think that's why I generally preffered his Fantasy stuff.

New Abercrombie series starting in September. Can't wait.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 07:52:38 PM »
Bit of an oldie, but I really like 'The White Company' by Arthur Conan Doyle. It's also set in the Hundred Years War around a company of archers.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 08:16:45 PM »
Ha that's interesting. I don't know a great deal about that period so that didn't annoy me. Although I do seem to remember having that reaction to his Roman books. I think that's why I generally preffered his Fantasy stuff.

New Abercrombie series starting in September. Can't wait.

Yep. Ordered  :)
Also can’t wait.

I think Conn Iggulden is a prolific purveyor of historical potboilers. Some how Bernard Cornwell pulls this off with what feels like a good understanding of each period as he hops from one Millennium to another. Conn Iggulden feels like a rip roaring storyteller - but doesn’t really pay too much attention to the nicer historical details or period accuracy of his latest moneyspinner. He’s a broad brushstroke, big picture kinda guy... spin a great yarn and never mind the fact that it’s not much like the period he’s set it in. Details schmetails...  ;)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »
IMHO Christian Cameron is as good a writer as Bernard Cornwall, having read his Long War series set spanning the Greek Persian Wars.

I notice he has also written a Chivalry series set during the Medieval period which I expect will be an enjoyable read/listen if the Long War series is anything to go by.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 09:40:51 PM »
I second (or third) Joe Abercrombie, also Robert Low's Viking and Robert the Bruce series  are pretty good.
And if you want to go outside the period,hahaha; Ben Aaronovich's Peter Grant novels are brilliant!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 10:37:58 PM »
IMHO Christian Cameron is as good a writer as Bernard Cornwall, having read his Long War series set spanning the Greek Persian Wars.

Second this! Cameron is a fantastic writer - both his Long War and Tyrant series' are brilliant.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 12:40:12 AM »

A little far from your period, but listening to the History of Byzantium podcast got me through recovery from an eye surgery.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 08:32:23 AM »
Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I put a lot of them down on my digital bookshelve. I couldn't find everything but this should keep me going for several hundred hours of painting again.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 09:10:19 AM »
If I can also recommend Angus Donald's Robin Hood series, which follows Alan Dale from a young outlaw, through the Crusades and wars in France under the Lionheart and his crap brother.

I've just read the eighth and final book, I really enjoyed all of them, very Cornwell in style, but with a bit more swearing and boobs.

I'm not sure if they are available as audio books, but worth a read if you can. 

I also agree about Robert Low's viking novels - very atmospheric.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 09:54:26 AM »
The Norman Centuries podcast is very good but Lars Bronworth, the author/narrator, has a very soothing voice that makes you want to go to sleep so you might not get much painting done.

If you can go to an earlier period the Fall of Rome by Patrick Wyman is also very good and has some interesting perspectives/insights.