Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:08:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zombie Horde (Part 3)  (Read 8254 times)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Zombie Horde (Part 3)
« on: June 21, 2009, 09:32:26 PM »
Another zombie horde base

Trying to find a cost-effective way of producing hordebases.

Horde Number One had 46 figures.
Horde Number Two had 29 Figures.

So...Horde Number Three has a mere 25 figures...

The minis are a mix of the new Brigade Games Civilians, Mississinewa, and ....yes, I bought a pack of the WF placcy ones... The dustbins are Fenris, the traffic cone & shotgun are Foundry, and the backpack is TAG.

The WF zeds are even worse than I thought they'd be - so far i've only used 10, and those are "hidden" in the middle of this base, so hopefully you can't see the mould-line heads, and the odd waists...

On the plus side, the cost of the latest base is <£20

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: Zombie Horde (Part 3)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 09:33:21 PM »
Group shot of the first 3 Horde bases - 100 zombies!

Offline Cranky

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »
They are impressive!

I made use of "swarm" bases in Spinespur because I like the idea of multiple models staying together in a game and allowing the painter to create a mini diorama.

I really like how your horde bases look and I think they would make quite the impact you are looking for on the gaming table! Bravo!

Online Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 09:54:38 PM »
The words nice and sick both portrai my feelings for your hordes... And thats a good thing. I like them a lot. You also did a good job hiding the WF ones, I only noticed them after reading they were in there...
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 01:29:09 AM »
You also did a good job hiding the WF ones, I only noticed them after reading they were in there...

I didn't, saw the fat guy, some of those WF faces and that beautiful flash-line up the side of another one's head. Like I said, 'flesh for the horde' and nothing more, right Akula?

Woah, look at the hand on that hobo-Zed! Otherwise, that's quite the peanut gallery you've got, Akula. How would those horde bases work in-game? Invulnerable, or just too many wounds/vitality points to make killing them not worth it? I like the idea for them, but could only see myself using them as street-control/mobile spawn-locations.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 07:37:58 AM »
Very nice, but the lower density of models is definately noticeable and the first one is the most impressive 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 08:07:03 AM »
Wow!

How many of those bases are you going to build?
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 12:12:37 PM »
How would those horde bases work in-game? Invulnerable, or just too many wounds/vitality points to make killing them not worth it? I like the idea for them, but could only see myself using them as street-control/mobile spawn-locations.

A slow-moving, virtually indestructible clump of undead. Think of it like the Herds in "The Walking Dead" Graphic Novels.

Rules wise, different types of zeds are activated on the turn of a card, in my homegrown set of rules.  The Hordes move at 3" (slow compared to other types), towards the nearest survivor.  Shooting has no effect (there are too many of them).  Anyone foolish enough to get too close, and coming into base-to-base contact is automatically EATEN (ie ripped to shreds by dozens of zombies).  They also act as a mobile spawn point, with the odd zed leaving the horde when it sees something tasty nearby.

I'll review the shooting rules once i've painted up some more Abrams tanks for my WWZ game, but even then they should pose a threat, as a tank trying to run over a horde is likely to get stuck!   lol

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 12:16:48 PM »
Very nice, but the lower density of models is definately noticeable and the first one is the most impressive 8)

I know - i've created a rod for my own back - if i'd made the 25 zed one first, nobody would think twice about it, but now i've shown you a 46 zed one, you all want more....more....MORE.... :D

Wow!

How many of those bases are you going to build?

I honestly don't know.  They make a change from painting single zeds....  I imagine that i'll paint more ,depending upon how large my overall zombie collection gets.

To put it into perspective, i've currently got 292 zeds painted, of which the 3 horde bases account for exactly 100.  Next up will be some more individually based ones (probably another 50 or so).

The same rules principles (see post above) apply for other types of horde bases, so maybe i'll so some undead rats or birds next....  ;)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 02:10:48 PM »
you could mix in some skeletons - perhaps the local graveyard was struck by the zombiefying beetles too? ;D

Offline Unforgiven

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 03:03:52 PM »
All you need now is a mob led by
zombiesmith's Michael Jackson Thriller zombie.

lol

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »
I'm toying with the idea of a few more "diorama" like bases, similar to these, but they'll probably be fixed spawn points ,rather than hordes.

Of course, above all else, I just need to keep churning out as many "regular" zombies as possible - particularly as my games table, just got bigger....  ;)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »
I love the idea of using those little mini sets as spawn points.  I think I'm going to have to steal that idea. 

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 06:22:25 PM »
Please do!

:)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 09:06:01 PM »

Those large groups of zombies look very formidable and cinematic: they remind me very much of the groups outside the "Winchester" in Shaun of the Dead in particular for some reason.

8)