Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:43:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A talk about Werewolves.  (Read 17747 times)

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: A talk about Werewolves.
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 03:45:35 PM »

I am wondering what the new Wolf Man movie being released later this year with Benicio Del Torro will be like. From the picutres he is more human than wolf, in the style of Lon Chaney(as the film is a remake).
Last year there was a movie called "Skinwalkers" that was about that type of werewolf. It's was pretty good IMO.

Not heard of that one, will go look it up.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 03:57:03 PM »
There's also that werewolf trilogy with the two teenage sisters, "Ginger Snaps". Don't remember what the werewolf form looks like though.

Ah, found a few piccies:

On second thought, it looked kinda crap in the first movie in the series:

As a plus, the final part is set in an isolated fort in Canada in 1815. ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 04:06:46 PM »
I quite like the Dr Who werewolf in "Tooth and Claw", but the CGI wan't quite convincing enough. BBC TV budget as opposed to Hollywood mega-dollars budget? Good "design", though. The Van Helsing version was again, almost there, but not quite, for some reason. Googling for the Van Helsing and Underworld werewolves got me lots of pics of the lovely Kate, so that was fun  :D

Possibly Oliver Reed in "Curse of the Werewolf" is the least convincing ever, with Lon Chaney half a whisker in front  lol

The Micro-universe Dr Who werewolf is quite a good model, though and one I'm going to use in my first "Fear and Faith" try-out.

Offline Cranky

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 04:14:27 PM »
I have some werewolves in development for the second Spinespur book right now. As a rule we try to make 80-90% of the models attractive for multigenre play. We already have the Cerebeast:

We also have packs of wild dogs coming out that are all mounted on one large base. These dog's act as grunt troops with the Cerebeast.

The concept art for our werewolves:

These were victims who survived an attack from the Cerebeast. I really dig the face the artist put on it! I have him doing more angles on this one.

The idea then is to have the wolf strain get weaker with each generation. The ones who are attacked and survive werewolf attacks become "Feral men" which are like the Lon Cheaney wolfman or the ones from Skinwalkers.

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 05:24:21 PM »

Possibly Oliver Reed in "Curse of the Werewolf" is the least convincing ever, with Lon Chaney half a whisker in front  lol

Not wishing to be contrary but... I like the Oliver Reed version, not very wolflike, but a gruesome spectacle, (and then they put the make up on him , Groan.. lol)
An interesting take on the story, and set in Spain, original!

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 05:26:45 PM »
These are my favorite werewolves.

Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 05:37:20 PM »

Not wishing to be contrary but... I like the Oliver Reed version, not very wolflike, but a gruesome spectacle, (and then they put the make up on him , Groan.. lol)

lol The old ones are the best!

Don't get me wrong. I quite enjoyed the film, it's just that I thought the Werewolf makeup was particularly dodgy.

Blimey, just Googled the DVD and the cheapest I found at Amazon.co.uk was £25.00 plus shipping  :o

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »

lol The old ones are the best!

Don't get me wrong. I quite enjoyed the film, it's just that I thought the Werewolf makeup was particularly dodgy.

Blimey, just Googled the DVD and the cheapest I found at Amazon.co.uk was £25.00 plus shipping  :o

Do you remember back in the late 1970's/eary 1980's the Beeb used to run a saturday night horror double bill? They ran all the old Hammer films. I vivdly remember seeing the Ollie Reed version then and I found it a scary one , I was only a nipper mind you. lol

I think they were restricted by copyright on the make up look as they couldn't copy the old Universal films like Lon Chaney's Wolfman. Also special effects hadn't come on that far either.

Its not very wolflike but I think it has impact as a half man half beast, and it was in technicolour, so you saw lots of blood ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »
Do you remember back in the late 1970's/eary 1980's the Beeb used to run a saturday night horror double bill? They ran all the old Hammer films. I vivdly remember seeing the Ollie Reed version then and I found it a scary one , I was only a nipper mind you. lol

I think they were restricted by copyright on the make up look as they couldn't copy the old Universal films like Lon Chaney's Wolfman. Also special effects hadn't come on that far either.

Its not very wolflike but I think it has impact as a half man half beast, and it was in technicolour, so you saw lots of blood ;)

Oh yes, I think I watched every one! Sadly it was in the days before I owned a video recorder, or I'd have recorded them all.

Never mind. There has been the odd Hammer Horror film on obscure Sky channels in the early hours, so I'm hoping they keep showing them. All I need now is a 21stC brain to remind me to record them  ::)

It's a feature of the Hammer Horrors that they were quite bloodthirsty, but did not rely solely on gore like many modern films. They always made good use of the more "psychological" type of scariness too. The best are often very under-rated, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 07:19:22 PM by Gluteus Maximus »

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 09:57:22 PM »
Remember Jack Nicholson as Wolf? A laugh. The movie was cool, though.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 11:59:33 PM »
...Blimey, just Googled the DVD and the cheapest I found at Amazon.co.uk was £25.00 plus shipping  :o

Amazon.com has the movie plus seven more [Hammer Horror Series (Brides of Dracula / Curse of the Werewolf / Phantom of the Opera (1962) / Paranoiac / Kiss of the Vampire / Nightmare / Night Creatures / Evil of Frankenstein)] for $23.99 (about £12)!

Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 01:20:40 PM »

These were victims who survived an attack from the Cerebeast. I really dig the face the artist put on it! I have him doing more angles on this one.

The idea then is to have the wolf strain get weaker with each generation. The ones who are attacked and survive werewolf attacks become "Feral men" which are like the Lon Cheaney wolfman or the ones from Skinwalkers.

Cranky, this is a great idea, I like the way that works. Makes sense too.   8) :)

I think the Dog Soldiers weres were about the best I've seen in modern movies. I know they have quite spindly limbs, but then so do a lot of real wolves. Great massive powerful bodies but long, gangling legs. Y'know, for loping. Overall, the effect in the movie was pretty good, especially given the budgetary constraints. I prefer physical effects over CG any day too.

Funny, I was just chatting with Malamute about the Ollie Reed movie a couple of weeks back. Eerily prescient!

I don't really remember much about The Howling (I was off my face when I watched it) but I do remember Robert Picardo with hair (very weird!) and the final transformation of the love interest into some sort of pekinese. Utterly hilarious. But probably not meant to be.  :(

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 01:31:38 PM »

I think the Dog Soldiers weres were about the best I've seen in modern movies. I prefer physical effects over CG any day too.

Me too ;)

Funny, I was just chatting with Malamute about the Ollie Reed movie a couple of weeks back. Eerily prescient!

Yep spooky ;)

I don't really remember much about The Howling (I was off my face when I watched it) but I do remember Robert Picardo with hair (very weird!) and the final transformation of the love interest into some sort of pekinese. Utterly hilarious. But probably not meant to be.  :(

Werepekinese,  lol But that Elizabeth Brooks who strips off by the camp fire.... Whoooooooaaa! ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 08:22:13 PM »
...Blimey, just Googled the DVD and the cheapest I found at Amazon.co.uk was £25.00 plus shipping  :o

Amazon.com has the movie plus seven more [Hammer Horror Series (Brides of Dracula / Curse of the Werewolf / Phantom of the Opera (1962) / Paranoiac / Kiss of the Vampire / Nightmare / Night Creatures / Evil of Frankenstein)] for $23.99 (about £12)!

The problem is they are probably region 1 and I'm in the UK which is region 2. They are such a bargain I would otherwise definitely be tempted :(

Oh well  ;)

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
Anybody know anything about the TV series 'Werewolf?