Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:54:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689809
  • Total Topics: 118297
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What Makes You Back a Kickstarter?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: What Makes You Back a Kickstarter?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 01:02:44 PM »
First thing has got to be the subject matter - does it interest me and is it not just new shineys to keep thinking i need to paint them.

Second it's got to be good value for money as you are paying up front and as such expect a bang for your buck

Thirdly - I don't mind waiting a year but over that and I think the companies are a little too unprepared

With stretch goals and add ons display them in a way that they are easy to understand - I've ignored more than one as a result of a badly put together page.  Regular stretch goals are great for building excitement during the bidding period and probably help sales overall.

As there is time to do things right with the correct amount of funding (unless you've buggered your numbers up) then i expect a premium product for the investment and time waiting

One thing I liked about the Carnevale kickstarter I backed is that they kept up regular (weekly) updates until the project was completed.  This kept the interest levels going which I think is important over the time span they can take.  One thing I would say is be honest as early as possible if there is a delay for whatever reasons. People may be peeved but they'll be more so if you leave it later.

The last thing I would say is make sure you get the kickstarter people fully shipped before you release retail - As an advance investor they deserve to have it before anyone else

Good luck

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 03:16:54 PM »
As others have said, obviously the product is the key element.
Secondary to that, I would usually expect a decent saving over retail - otherwise just release the damn thing at retail!
Vastly preferable that the product already exists - some exceptions would be Reaper bones or other companies with a good track record.
Delivery time is usually not that important to me. I've backed approx 60 kickstarters with almost zero bad experiences. Some of that is luck, some is that as others have suggested, credibility in the presentation and company history is really important.
Clarity of description, comprehensive imagery, and a thoughtful consideration of risk (not just a one-liner!) go a long way too.

My 'model' kickstarters are the Midlam miniatures ones. They have a core set of already-sculpted models, just one stretch goal which typically is just one further model, and usually run for a short period of perhaps a week. Nice and simple.
E.g. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662635043/waylaid-by-bandits

For a what-not-to-do:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rgdgaming/help-us-make-28mm-hard-plastic-fauns-for-your-tabl
I've backed this but only because the creator posted on this forum quite a bit over the last year or two showing the WIP etc. The campaign has been unfortunately rather all over the place in terms of consistency and clarity.
What they are doing well however is listening to feedback and offering regular updates.

Hope the above is of some use.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 06:25:38 PM »
Wish I have an answer... mostly, the product and the company. If the product excites my imagination and I trust the company, there is a good chance that I jump in.

It is very, very important that the people after the KS keeps a good communication, show enthusiasm and regular updates. Good photos of the product are really helpful.

Also, shipping costs and potential taxes have an impact in my decision. It is more probable that I jump in a KS that is EU friendly than in one that it is not.

Rewards are enticing, but they must be really interesting to have a meaningful impact in my decision to participate.

Finally, I appreciate when the company makes a honest assessment of the risks involved and, specially, the timeline. I rather prefer they tell me that the product will be received in one year after the end of the KS, than it will arrive in July and then don't receive it until May... next year!

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 07:00:46 PM »
Like said earlier -

It has to excite my imagination.

Tony