Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:26:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlords new Korean range  (Read 12711 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Warlords new Korean range
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2019, 08:19:26 PM »
Yep.  I have a 1947 Soviet scout platoon mounted in BTR40s

I mastered the BTR and asked Jeff to cast me a few

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2019, 10:48:07 PM »
It's humorous to see some of the attitudes on this thread. Some people really hate Warlord yeah?

Hate? No that’s too strong a term and would suggest an emotional engagement, which simply isn’t there. Warlord are omnipresent and at times I buy their stuff occasionally. Mostly because it is available or is the only maker of a given item. Their plastics are a useful source of bits for the spares box. I even bought a copy of Wargames Illustrated, a notably poor publication, just for the free frame of bits. First time I’ve bought a wargaming magazine in 30 years.

What amuses and occasionally irks me is their laziness in terms of research. Their pricing is another cause of bewilderment. Exact same plastic vehicle, badged with Warlord is 1/3 the price again as the Italeri equivalent, who designed and produced the bloody thing in the first place.

To use a sporting metaphor,  I hate Fluminense and I loathe Vasco’s fans, dull minded fuckers that they are. Botafogo are the team for people who have no real interest in football, hence the absence of fans in the stands. I don’t hate Botafogo, they amuse me and I find their fans mystifying but anyone who could muster the energy to actually hate something as inconsequential as that probably should seek attention. :D
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2019, 11:02:39 PM »
Not hate, just expect better from a company that size is all. I am very happy that the Korean war is finally getting a book published along with models. But the figs still suffer fro silly poseing and arming them with sks' s I a rookie mistake.
But I guess we are lucky they didn't arm them with AK47's.... So there is that.  lol
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2019, 07:40:12 AM »
It's humorous to see some of the attitudes on this thread. Some people really hate Warlord yeah?
More serially disappointed.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2019, 08:10:43 AM »
Maybe the rifles are SVTs?
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline 88D

• Scientist
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2019, 09:41:56 AM »
Maybe the rifles are SVTs?
If you look at them closely they have the folding bayonet which the svt did not have.

Offline evil_steve

• Assistant
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2019, 06:46:57 PM »
Let's say the warlord Korea sculpts aren't completely accurate nite of the highest quality.  They are creating a market, where one didn't previously exist. Once people are actually collecting and playing 28mm Korea, other manufacturers will come around with better models for more discerning tastes. Say what you will about warlord,  but that situation would not likely have come about without their "bad" miniatures.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2019, 02:53:54 AM »
Let's say the warlord Korea sculpts aren't completely accurate nite of the highest quality.  They are creating a market, where one didn't previously exist. Once people are actually collecting and playing 28mm Korea, other manufacturers will come around with better models for more discerning tastes. Say what you will about warlord,  but that situation would not likely have come about without their "bad" miniatures.
We know that, doesn't mean we can't pick appart their shoddy research. Becase some where down the line, they had a discussion about what models to release, and no one stoped the sks, being oked. And some one decided that those posses were decent enough to sale to the public.
I will pick them up becase I have been wanting to play Korean war in 28mm for years.
But I do see the figs as hold overs tell better sculpts come along. And honinstly they are better then the few attempts in the past to put out lines for this cold war engagement .
Also I figure with sks' s I can use them well into the 70's for things like the 66-69 dmz conflict or the axe murder incident in 1976. Makeing some lemonade out of this.  lol

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2019, 08:29:37 AM »
The problem is that there are other periods being introduced (Vietnam being the obvious example) with well sculpted, accurate figures. That is what drives new interests.

The problem is that poor sales due to poor models might make other manufacturers shy away from venturing into the period.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2019, 11:24:50 AM »

In answer to the earlier questions about a Centurion.

Yes we will be doing one. ;)

Offline evil_steve

• Assistant
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2019, 01:15:06 PM »
Vietnam in 28mm has been possible to do for years with good quality figures and vehicles.  Korea hasn't been.  A miniatures range, while possibly not of the highest standards, with a wargame book and a pack of MASH characters, will make the period possible to do.  It's not like anyone else was doing Korea and I've been seeing posts with folks seeking to do that conflict in 28mm for years.
I used to spend 2 hours on each mini.  Every figure was a work of art in its own right and was an accurate representation of the time an place it was from.  Now I have a kid.  Warlord has Korea figs?  Cool, gonna slap some GW contrast paints on those and get something on the table before the wife wants me to watch the baby. 
It's be nice if the Perrys were doing this but that the period is possible to do at all in 28mm now is still a good thing.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2019, 02:38:16 PM »
In answer to the earlier questions about a Centurion.

Yes we will be doing one. ;)
But in 1/50 scale?

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2019, 05:50:45 PM »
But in 1/50 scale?

1/50 would be perfect

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2019, 08:35:36 PM »
Amusingly enough wikipedia also lists the SKS as a weapon employed in the Korean War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_equipment_used_in_the_Korean_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS

;D
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2019, 10:49:03 PM »
Amusingly enough wikipedia also lists the SKS as a weapon employed in the Korean War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_equipment_used_in_the_Korean_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS

;D

From the Wikipedia article on the SKS:
Korean War: limited issue[22]

22.  Rottman, Gordon L. (December 2002). Korean War Order of Battle: United States, United Nations, and Communist Ground, Naval, and Air Forces, 1950-1953. Praeger. p. 198. ISBN 978-0-275-97835-8. Archived from the original on 2018-12-09. Retrieved 2018-12-07.
(My emphasis).