Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:56:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690702
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nick's 1st Bull Run project.  (Read 34699 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Nick's 1st Bull Run project.
« Reply #195 on: November 21, 2020, 09:34:43 PM »
Thanks to Covid, I've still not refought Bull Run.

But last March, my Antietam collection and first Bull Run Confederates marched out in a campaign run by Alan Perry. This is my division marching across Alan's table.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2020, 05:21:10 PM »
......and they look awesome doing so!  :o

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #197 on: November 22, 2020, 05:37:16 PM »
A cinema-like picture! Beautiful!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #198 on: January 31, 2021, 02:25:53 PM »
I've set the table up for a 1st Bull Run game, the battle for Henry House Hill. The figures are going to get a run out, hurrah.

I don't have a 6' hill, so the whole table is the hill, we'll mark the centre of the table as the crest.

Apart from the artillery and Jackson's Brigade in the trees, everything else is placed where they will randomly come on throughout the game.

Hope to play this out soon.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #199 on: January 31, 2021, 09:06:04 PM »
Looks impressive Nick. Best wishes for the game.

Cheers,
Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #200 on: January 31, 2021, 09:33:15 PM »
Nice set up and good to see them being used for their intended purpose.  Great project that keeps on giving!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #201 on: February 03, 2021, 11:29:11 AM »
great, 'proper' looking, traditional layout.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2021, 09:53:57 PM »
Great board, but I expected some news from your Campaign in the Perry-Catacombs? Is it still alive and only in a pandemonium break???
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2021, 10:07:23 PM »
It's not moved for a year due to Covid-19. Have you followed it so far on the Perry Mins Facebook page?

It's been so long I'll need a proper refresher to try and recall our strategies.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
« Reply #204 on: February 05, 2021, 08:23:40 PM »
It's not moved for a year due to Covid-19. Have you followed it so far on the Perry Mins Facebook page?

It's been so long I'll need a proper refresher to try and recall our strategies.
Yes I followed so far. Maybe you should try it via Video in c19-times. Jaye from Wiley Games made so great Online Games. After this Pandemic you can return this campaign

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #205 on: February 06, 2021, 12:04:07 PM »
That's upto the Games master to sort out. Personally I'd not be keen, the campaign is coming to a conclusion, I'd rather play the final big battle face to face with everyone. I haven't seen some of those chaps for a year now.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
« Reply #206 on: February 06, 2021, 05:02:20 PM »
That's upto the Games master to sort out. Personally I'd not be keen, the campaign is coming to a conclusion, I'd rather play the final big battle face to face with everyone. I haven't seen some of those chaps for a year now.
I know the problem. I also miss this meeting with friends and play a game. I hope that at the end of the year it will be possible to travel to Britain for our yearly meeting. I meet the guys one and a half year last time. Good chance to paint more stuff  :D ;)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #207 on: February 06, 2021, 08:16:14 PM »
Yep, get this Pandemic over with. The vaccines should really help, they can't come quick enough for me.

Anyway, I did play Bull Run in North Star's B2B game room.

I changed the table mat to a Geek Villain mat.

This is the initial set up

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #208 on: February 06, 2021, 08:23:15 PM »
The aim of the scenario was to take control of the 4 gun batteries, the winner being the one with the most at the end of 3 hours.

The battle begins with the Union Batteries moving up into close range with the Confederate batteries on the crest of the hill.

They duel it out for 2 turns, and then the first Union troops arrive. In the meantime, the Jackson Brigade move out of the treeline towards the hill crest.

I'd given the Jackson Brigade smoothbore muskets, so their range was only 6". The Union were carrying rifled muskets, with 6" effective range but long range of 16".

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2021, 08:44:53 PM »
The Union Batteries came off worse, both being knocked out after the artillery exchange. The 1st Minnesota pass through the batteries and open fire on the Reb gun crews, putting one battery out of action.

The Jackson Brigade crosses the hill crest to engage with the Union infantry. More Union regiments arrive, as does Reb reinforcements on the left flank.

The 33rd Virginia destroy the 11th NY with a roll of 2x 20s and a 17. In the rules this removed 2 of the 4 bases of the regiment, and 3 disorder tokens from a maximum of 5 and 2 morale checks on them. They were swept away, which was a shame because JEB Stuarts cavalry arrived the next turn and could have done the job historically.

We let the Union forces come on quicker than they did historically. If we'd delayed them more, then the battle may have gone more historically as Jackson's Virginians will have dealt with each one/ two piecemeal. As it was, realising their muskets didn't have the range of the Union rifles, the Rebs pulled back just over the crest of the hill to take on the Union advance within effective range. This gave the Union player time to line up his regiments in line, and advance fighting out a more normal ACW battle. The firefight along the line was more or less even, maybe more Union casualties but when the clock hit the 3 hour game end, each side owned their 2 gun batteries so a draw was declared.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:48:16 PM by nicknorthstar »