Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:11:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689495
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Project: Skirmishes in the New World - UPDATE: First Figures Completed  (Read 2383 times)

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
  • With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo
Ok.  So I’m starting a new project based on Gringo40s excellent Mayans and Conquistadors.  However, I’m a bit stumped for rules.  I want to have a skirmish game with 5-10 figures per player and 1-4 players per side.  The rules need to handle both primitive and early gunpowder weapons and preferably have some “character” in differentiating figures.   Ikm nt above modifying different period rules to fit.    Anybody have anything to nominate?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:43:08 AM by RichBliss »

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
Re: New Project: Skirmishes in the New World -rules suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 09:59:13 AM »
Maybe En garde! or Gloire? Both work well for conquistadors.
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 10:23:08 AM »
I was thinking Gloire - and there's the 'Beyond the war parties' expansion that might work well for Aztecs.

There is also Song of Drums and Tomahawks(?), which is aimed at the FIW, but has expansions for the 1630s Pequot war which I believe adds in rules for primitive black powder weapons.

An off the wall suggestion - Mordheim? Lots of different weapons distinctions (too many really), and small forces (~6-15) with a mix of characters and 'units' of similarly equipped troops. There were fan rules for fighting in Lustria and other WHFB settings, some of which might be useful? biggest issue I can see if making the Aztec list

For what it's worth, I use Donnybrook for early North American skirmishes - 1580s-1650s sort of time. But that's 25-50 figures a side, albeit with characters and assorted units.
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 01:55:03 PM »
I'd vote for Fistful of Lead or more likely Dracula's America? FfoL is meant to be usable for a variety of settings, and DA is a hugely under-appreciated great system that I think would do very well for what you are looking for.

Offline MartinD

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 06:07:51 PM »
Something I've been wanting to do for a while. I thin En Garde could be right for you. I've got Gloire and the expansion 'Beyond the war parties' - the expansion a series of (very) small scale scenarios. They have stats for Aztecs etc I believe, but the meat is the scenarios. Some rather unusual scenarios using a handful of figs but with some wince inducing terrain demands (anyone got a full underground Aztec temple complex?).

It feels more like an rpg expansion than a wargaming one, really. Gloire seems very crunchy and rpg-like though anyway.

En Garde has about a dozen or so figs per player at most - the generic scenarios are more traditional wargaming fare,and the rules are more modern and streamlined. The Tribal rules are Aztecs etc fighting amongst themselves rather than for colonial actions, btw. There's another set (whose name I've forgotten) by the makers of the Panzer Korps rules I picked up - which looks interesting but incomplete.

I was considering TSATF or Pikeman's Lament for larger scale actions, but I'm keeping an open mind 

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 02:49:06 AM »
Thank you all.  I’ve bought PDF versions of En Garde and Gloire and I already have a copy of Fistful of Miniatures somewhere.  I did look at Dracula’s America and I might steal, er borrow, the activation rules, but the book seemed to be mostly fluff for $25 so I passed.

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 12:27:12 PM »
You could take a look at Flint & Feather. Written for pre European contact North America but being expanded to later.
https://www.cruciblecrush.com/store/view_detail/14/780/66101_Flint_and_Feather_Rulebook/

As suggested En Guarde provides a good game.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 10:56:41 PM »
Try looking at Song of War and Tomahawks.
Written by Mike Demana, who posts here on the Forum.
I have played the rules many times and always have a fun game.
His website is posted below.

http://www.firstcommandwargames.com/
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 07:11:14 PM »
A bunch of good options have been suggested, for Aztecs vs. Spanish I'm looking at one or more of the Ganesha Games series, it may be a mishmash of SDT, Song of Drums and Shakos, and Song of Blades and Heroes when all is said and done.

GG's pirate and three musketeers game, Flashing Steel, could work too, particularly for more cinematic games, but for things like the ECW I stuck to the slightly crunchier SDS.

Chris

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
I finished the first set of Spanish.  Mayans to follow. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:44:44 AM by RichBliss »

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
They look great!
Mix of Foundry, Eureka and Frostgrave plastics?

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Very inspiring, thanks for sharing. :)

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
They look great!
Mix of Foundry, Eureka and Frostgrave plastics?

Frostgrave Metal wizard and a Gringo40 as well.