Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:45:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Has anyone tried battletech in 15mm?  (Read 5122 times)

Online Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Re: Has anyone tried battletech in 15mm?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 08:56:07 AM »
Those look pretty damn cool.

I've been tempted to add some 1/100 mechs to my 15mm sci do armies but right now I think they'd be tripping over the mechanised platoons.

If the purpose of the game is to be mech heavy it could defo work: provides a lot of opportunity for Mech duels and characterisation.

Looking forward to see how this progresses!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 04:13:28 PM »
Stratos Minis has a nice line of full scale 15mm mechs. Many "not Battletech" versions too.

https://stratominis.com/product-category/hardwar_15/

A little pricey, perhaps, but they sure look nice. I've been eyeballing their 6mm stuff as a stand in for smaller robot/power armor type suits. Most seem to stand 40-50mm which works for 15mm, I think. As long as you aren't thinking giant fighting robot and more like personal armor.

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 04:39:23 PM »
Yes I have tried BT in 15mm
I've done a few more since i took these photos, I'll dig them out. I've got vehicles and infantry as well

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 07:41:56 PM »
Any ideas of kit bashing cheap robots, and labeling them accordingly?
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 08:57:00 PM »
Oh... and there is this site: https://souldark.ru/category/battle-robots/

For kit bashing and chopping up cheap toys, this is the best. Not quite as big as the Strato stuff, but I'll bet most of these stand around 70-90mm depending on the pose. It would be easy to dice them up and alter the weapons, etc.

I bought this one as a combat walker for 28mm.

At $6 per, and pretty reasonable shipping from Russia (I think I got my order in under two weeks, which beats the hell out of ordering from the UK most of the time), it is hard to beat.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2019, 10:01:28 AM »
Oh... and there is this site: https://souldark.ru/category/battle-robots/

Holy cow!  :o

That link is awesome. I immediately ordered a couple of those mechs, just to see if they're workable. Plus, a set of their chibby mouse, paladin and skellie units each, because my six year old was watching over my shoulder when I was browsing the site.

Turns out I already have some of their stuff I bought on ebay, such as the minotaurs and ogres. Now I know the source, and it's even cheaper directly (no surprise there I suppose).

They have many very cheap offerings, and I might just be back for some of the not-BFG stuff as well...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2019, 10:23:49 AM »
Wow, that site has loads of stuff on it

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »
The paint jobs are pretty flattering, but for a $6 80cm mech, I don't think you can come close to the quality. Dollar store stuff looks like garbage by comparison, and these things have pretty good articulation below the waist, so you could get some pretty dynamic posing.

This is the mech I bought. Sorry the pictures aren't a bit better for showing scale, but hopefully you can rough it out in your head.

Mech, fully "squatted," compared to Primaris Marine. A more normal position would be a bit taller. Fully squatted the mech is twice the height of a space marine, easy.

So, most of the stuff from Souldark seems to be interchangeable. The missiles on top of the mech came with the tank set I bought. There are also radar dishes, smaller machine gun turrets, and plain round hatches that will fit into that peg hole. If the goal is to do some conversions, I think throwing $20 at a few sets would get you more than ample bits and pieces to make some magic happen.

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2019, 03:00:01 PM »
The Russian plastic kits tend to be over-the-top ridiculous, but those are much more in the realm of reasonable looking (I suppose because they ripped off Battletech designs). Might have to order a few, just in case. ::)

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2019, 06:50:13 AM »
Wow, all the mechs are really looking good and the russian side is a great find! I will order there too!

Meanwhile the gaming mats I ordered some days before have arrived. The quality is great as usual and the hexgrids are really big.
Printing aerofighters is not so simple as I have thought, the sparrowhawk is the first acceptable result.

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2019, 07:16:13 AM »
The second gaming mat for Battletech. As hoped, the Kallistra terrain fits in well.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »
That all looks great. You really get a sense for size and scale with that winter map.

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2019, 07:40:02 AM »
Trying to make some decals:

and finishing all the 3d-prints for the defender side: