Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:56:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Info on the Japanese Self Defence Forces 1950s-60s  (Read 813 times)

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
Info on the Japanese Self Defence Forces 1950s-60s
« on: June 05, 2019, 04:41:24 PM »
Hello all, I've been searching the web for photos of the JSDF from the 1950s, although I've found a few bits and pieces I'm hoping some of you may know some particular sites that you can point me toward.

Also does anyone know anything about their neckerchiefs? Were these worn by all units? Only for parade etc? Equipment, weapons etc. ( I know they would have used American kit in the early days).

And finally if anyone can suggest any books on the subject that would be great. 

I am looking for some distinct differences to set JSDF figures apart from US figures from the same era.
"Morning!"

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Info on the Japanese Self Defence Forces 1950s-60s
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 12:40:00 AM »
Very interesting subject to choose. I would like to know more myself. Do you have a project in mind for this subject?
Now for your question, I only have access to my phone at the moment so looking go images is a little limited at th time. But I was able to find this video from the U.S. military show called, The Big Picture.
It shows some field exercises and parajumps..etc
No one seems to be wearing the neckerchiefs and all seem to being uniformed like US troops of that time.
Now if your going for some domestic disturbance or invasion in the 50's. I see no problem with a few units or individuals in a unit wearing a few neckerchiefs for unit ID.
I am sure warlord games will release some ROK figures that should work just fine the JSDF or maybe Empress might work for 28mm when they get around to doing the early ARVN who were kitted out with US surplus.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 04:10:45 PM »
Thanks commissarmoody,
the intention is to have them in our Invasion X 1950s/60s Sci-Fi range. They feature in the upcoming expansion book. So far, the look I've gleaned is US style fatigues buttoned up to the neck. Thigh pockets in the trousers, US WW2 webbing with a Garand rifle. Although I might push it and give them Howa rifles.

This is what they appear to wear in the old Sci-Fi movies.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 02:06:12 PM »
going from memory...

the neck scarf  is in unit color, usually was used with the olive fatigue, I haven't seen pictures of it with the new camo uniform.

Basically in the 50 they were clothed in US style uniform and webbing and M1 helmets/Ridgeway caps (but the uniforms and webbing were manufactured locally). Weapons were US made. In the sixty you have the switch toward Howa Type 64 rifle, still with browning M1919 around for LMG role.  If you want to get a more unique look go for the Howa approach, they could be used until the 80s.

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 05:34:34 PM »
Cheers Arrigo,  so when they switched to the howa 64 what webbing did they use? Still the WW2 US?

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 06:18:54 PM »
I fired a query to my local connections...

when they changed to the Howa, as with everything it was a gradual process (like when the British Army switched to MTP, first people working in the supply chain, last the combat troops...  lol ).  Technically after the type 64 come into service the army also changed uniform from US style to the Type 65 Uniform (basically US Vietnam style, but dark olive).  The webbing followed pattern.

so you have 60' style US uniform, first uncovered, then covered M1 Helmet, Howa 64.

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 06:36:40 PM »
That's great mate, much appreciated. I've already got 60s US dollies so could make some simple alterations. Although I would probably want new sculpts so they would be a bit smaller than the Americans.