Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:57:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690622
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lanchester armoured car markings in Malaya 1941-42  (Read 4247 times)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: Lanchester armoured car markings in Malaya 1941-42
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 11:50:32 PM »
Great info on the Lanchester's and other vehicles
Have been reading a bit about the Hong Kong campaign and I think it would make a great PSC - and now I want armoured cars made from ships armour!]

It’s always interested me, not least because I was born and grew up there (one of many expat kids whose parents ran the colony).. For four years in the late 60s and early 70s we lived very close to the Gin Drinkers Line. As kids my friends and I used to roam those hills and the reservoirs, often playing ‘war’. We stumbled across several overgrown entrenchments and emplacements  and would find things like spent cartridges from time to time. One rock became well known to use because it had a few bullet rounds embedded in it, so deep we couldn’t prise them out. We’d often fantasise about how we might stumble on an abandoned machine gun position replete with abandoned weapons and equipment (never happened of course). During one dry season when the reservoir was low we retrieved the tail fins of a mortar round from the mud which caused great consternation amongst the parents when one of my friends brought it home.

We attempted to play the campaign using the ordnance survey map of HK and the WRG rules. We had nowhere near enough buildings and I recall we made up the city on some very patient parents’ living room floor using their Penguin paperbacks to make out the city plan. Golden days!

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 04:00:13 AM »
Ah well if it ever gets to development stage I will flick you a copy for feedback  lol

Offline Vis Bellica

• Scientist
    • Vis Lardica
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 09:05:23 AM »
I had a Lanchester in action playing Chain of Command at Operation Market Larden this weekend just gone.

Here's a link to the full report:

https://www.vislardica.com/blog/2019/6/9/aar-oml7-game-1-chain-of-command-in-malaya

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 04:18:37 PM »
Recently an HK publisher had a good game on the  campaign out. The title is Glory Recalled. I do not have it, I am trying to keep acquisition under control sadly, but people says it is good.

BGG link> https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/228686/glory-recalled-hong-kong-1941

A couple of years ago me and a HK historian, Dr. Kwong Chi Man, had talked about doing a design, then it fell in the back burner... but check Tiny Battle Publishing Lion of Malaya... (self advertisement!).

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 01:02:22 AM »
Thanks for the links Arrigo, very interesting

Oh and apologies to Pete for hijacking his thread  :-*

Back on topic how do you calculate the fire from the Lanchester's turret MG's in CoC?
Do you have to roll separately 6 HMG and 2 MMG dice?

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 02:54:51 AM »
VisBellica used one at OML7, so perhaps he needs to step up with an answer?

This has been a most intriguing query, I followed the Tapatalk link which went down all sorts of rabbit holes, some very intriguing including some pics of US water cooled .50 cal AA guns in the Pacific theatre. You will remember I was chasing info on these for Chindits some time back. The Tapatalk talk discussion was undertaken by just a fe posters but over some years, so very interesting.

Part of the intrigue involves the actual turret armament of a .50 cal and an MMG. A friend asked the question as to the AT capability of the .50 cal although the AT ammo for that was limited from what I have read. I believe the British .50 cal was inferior to the US .50 cal.

Bit OTT, I just got my Malaya book in the post. It is the Australian one put out by AWM, I think, looks interesting. Mind you also got Vol 2 of Black Berets, South African Armoured Forces history written by a Saffer. Vol 1 was excellent with lots of info on Marmon Herrington ACs.

Thanks for the links Arrigo, very interesting

Oh and apologies to Pete for hijacking his thread  :-*

Back on topic how do you calculate the fire from the Lanchester's turret MG's in CoC?
Do you have to roll separately 6 HMG and 2 MMG dice?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline ether_drake

• Bookworm
    • Blog: Ether Drake's Cave
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 10:52:19 AM »
I had a Lanchester in action playing Chain of Command at Operation Market Larden this weekend just gone.

Here's a link to the full report:

https://www.vislardica.com/blog/2019/6/9/aar-oml7-game-1-chain-of-command-in-malaya

Great stuff.

check Tiny Battle Publishing Lion of Malaya... (self advertisement!).

My group in Malaysia recently played this. We found it gave a very exciting and realistic historical game.

We have on and off again plans to run the Malaya campaign possibly combining Lion of Malaya and CoC.
Blog: Ether Drake's Cave

https://etherdrakecave.blogspot.com/

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 02:27:32 PM »
My group in Malaysia recently played this. We found it gave a very exciting and realistic historical game.

o_o

thanks! It was a little design and  quite nice to do. Not so sure of an hybrid game with CoC. But certainly you can track down  a particular brigade/regiment and then play CoC engagements with a platoon as a secondary form of narrative (but there are the excellent campaigns provided for CoC and IASBM that probably does better).  Certainly I can design a game on some specific engagement, slim river is a possible candidate due to the fact that the japanese force attacked each CW battalion in turn.  Certainly I would like to do a game where I can have Lanchesters armoured cars directly on the map. I think they have never been explicitly represented in any game except miniature ones.