Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:46:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 55 Days at Peking  (Read 1000 times)

Offline princeman

• Librarian
55 Days at Peking
« on: June 07, 2019, 02:41:33 AM »
Thinking about resurrecting my 55 Days at Peking game for Little Wars 2020.
Here is a link to our play test 16 years ago.
http://gregslittlewars.blogspot.com/2013/05/finaly-we-play-game.html
I would be adding more Chinese figures, about 250, and revising the rules.
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Greg
A man aughta do what he thinks is best.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: 55 Days at Peking
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 06:22:39 AM »
Rules look pretty simple - though could use a bit more explanation.  Looks like, roughly, 2.25 Chinese for each European legation force.  Seems a bit low but must have worked out okay.  A bit much with the division but, hey, that's why we have calculators.  Buildings look good for the time you started collecting.  Much nicer stuff available now but since the available reliable information is a little on the short side, who is to say what is right versus what isn't?

Working on my own Massive variation using the wonderful Bluemoon range of 15/18 mm buildings plus troops including the old Old Glory ranges and Cell Mate Miniatures figures (defunct) with some Lancashire figures.  Already built a 12' long wall, just need to add the ramp and then its off to painting time. 

Seems a very popular period.  Good luck!

Offline princeman

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 03:06:34 PM »
Thanks FifteensAway. I will be adding more Chinese  (250) to the mix. The Chinese keep recycling throughout the game. Rules are simple to get the game completed in 4 hours for conventions. Would like to see your set up.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 05:12:00 AM »
Well, then, that's easy enough.  Just go hear: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=117312.0  With a bit of luck, I hope to get the ramp for the Tartar Wall built this weekend.

Obviously, you have a lot more ready to play stuff than I have - but progress is being made.

Offline princeman

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 08:19:21 PM »
Wow! Very impressive. That has to be the most detailed rendition of the Legations I have seen to date. When I started to collect my figures there were only 25mm figures available and not too many choices at that. Are you using the Blue Moon figures to populate the table? I also like your 'U' shaped table approach.
Thanks,
Greg

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 12:11:05 AM »
A great many of the new Bluemoon figures are awaiting paint, a bunch of Old Glory 15s in that group, as are a number of Lancashire figures, and a smattering of Cell Mate figures (defunct).  Taking a break in mid-afternoon as I type and then going to get started on the ramp. 

Flowering plum tree so overloaded with fruit it broke two limbs.  Neighbor came by and asked if he could pick some fruit - I said sure, he and I picked 4 gallons and then I picked a couple more gallons to lessen the burden on the remaining limbs.  Time to rest a bit before tackling the ramp.

I may have more detailed questions for you regarding your rules - since I like there general simplicity and might adapt them for my game.  Though I will have figures based in threes, three abreast for the European troops and maybe the Chinese regulars (but unlikely the Imperials, uncertain with the Kansu Braves(?)).  The Boxers and probably the European armed civilians and certainly all the civilian figures will be on a square base and mixed about to avoid a regular formation.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 06:02:39 AM by FifteensAway »