Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:12:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Books on Medieval buildings and architecture?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Books on Medieval buildings and architecture?
« on: June 08, 2019, 12:41:41 AM »
I'm after a few books on medieval architecture and obviously would like to see what LAF has to say. Basically I want something with a lot of illustrations. I'd prefer black and white drawings as I find them easier to see.
So far I've found this Cambridge Library Collection - Medieval History: Suffolk and Norfolk: A Perambulation of the Two Counties with Notices of their History and their Ancient Buildings (quite a long winded title) but can't actually see into the book. It seems to have a lot of illustrations but is quite costly $50 NZ
Any ideas from anyone else?
I'm wanting this for a future kickstarter project for my buildings.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Re: Books on Medieval buildings and architecture?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 04:49:08 AM »
Look it up on Amazon - it lets you view the contents and some of the pages.  Looks like it has a lot of illustrations.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 05:08:31 AM »
Thanks. A the first illustrations look promising. Hopefully there are some more close up details in future illustrations

Offline Komsomol

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 04:04:22 PM »
The English Mediaeval House by Margaret Wood is pretty good and (at least over here in the UK) a very reasonable price (hardback from £1.10).

I have a 1994 edition and it is very useful- 576pp. 117 figures- b/w plans, drawing of features and  buildings, interiors and exteriors.  There are 32 plates of engravings, most with several pictures on each - giving 54 b/w illustrations and 60 photographic plates, most pages conatining multiple photographs to give over 140 b/w photographs.

The photographs are mostly by the author and the book was first published in 1965, so the quality of photographic reproduction may not be quite as expected now, but it covers a lot of ground in detail.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 12:32:52 PM »
Thanks for those. I'll look for that one Komsomol, however, jacques, that one may be out of my price range lol

Offline poulppy

• Scientist
    • Flags
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 09:54:25 AM »
In french : L'encyclopédie Médievale Par Viollet le Duc.

As it is a XIXth Century books, you can find it free.
* Miniatures diary at aleaminiatures.blogspot.fr/
* Flags banners blog at  https://flagspennonsandbanners.blogspot.com/
* My Other blog on Helmets : attenti