Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:19:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: March or Die  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Oldboy

• Librarian
March or Die
« on: June 08, 2019, 09:00:01 PM »
Good evening.
I am currently collecting foreign legion figures to fight Arabs. A search of the web shows that there is/was a set of basic rules called March or Die where the playe is the legion and the arabs are controlled (I think) by dice.
Is this still available I cannot see it for sale anywhere or can anyone recommend a similar set of rules suitable for a wargames virgin to cut his teeth on. Not really too fussed, at this stage, about historical accuracy but obviously want the game to feel right. I will be playing solo.
Many thanks
Frank

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: March or Die
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 09:14:00 PM »
If you can’t find March or Die it would be worth having a a look at The Men Who Would Be Kings by Dan Mersey, from Osprey. Covers FFL and Arabs (amongst many others), its a large skirmish game, around 50 figures a side, builds off the Lion Rampant rules, but with several improvements, and a focus on the Colonial era.

Also for a solo gamer it includes the Mr Babbage chapter which provides a mechanism for controlling  the native troops.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 12:15:19 AM »
The Men Who Would... is okay if you don't mind 'buckets' of dice.  And someone will certainly recommend The Sword and The Flame, with its wonky movement rates and too slow melee mechanism (that its fans love, though) and sit around and wait forever for a turn if there are a lot of players. 

For March or Die, check and see if anyone at Redoubt might have a source for the rules.  I think they might have also appeared in an issue of Savage & Soldier (I think that was it?).

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 12:41:45 AM »
As one of the many fans of The Sword and the Flame, I have to respond.  The game was designed as a two player game, with the European player having ideally no more than two units, and the Native four to six.  If you keep it at that level, the game moves quite quickly.
As far as movement and melee go, the mechanics are part of the game's charm.  Years ago, I played many a game with Redoubt FFL vs. Tuaregs.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 12:58:35 AM »
March or Die was one of the B&B Miniatures rule sets. Long OOP sadly.

B&B is now owned by Mac Warren and as far as I know still active (superb range of 20mm figures)
http://www.bandbminiatures.co.uk/index.htm

There are contact details on the site, perhaps he may be able to help you source a copy.

Closest thing to it these days would probably be "Patrols in the Sudan" from Peter Pig but you will need to create the force lists.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 01:03:11 AM by robh »

Offline Oldboy

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 07:43:30 AM »
Thank you to everyone lots to follow up. I have the men etc but have not played it. Just liked the idea of the game driving the enemy which is similar I think to thw another game I haven't played. Sigh.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 06:34:53 PM »
Frank, there was a game write up in an old Courier or MWAN where they used The Sword And The Flame rules but the Chinese were controlled by a chart taken from the rules Pony Wars about the America West and the Indian Wars. I'll see if I can find the write up.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »
This rule-set is awesome buddy:

The Men Who Would Be Kings

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 10:18:38 PM »
This rule-set is awesome buddy:

The Men Who Would Be Kings

This.

I have the men etc but have not played it. Just liked the idea of the game driving the enemy...

TMWWBK does this.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 10:05:58 AM »
Frank, there was a game write up in an old Courier or MWAN where they used The Sword And The Flame rules but the Chinese were controlled by a chart taken from the rules Pony Wars about the America West and the Indian Wars. I'll see if I can find the write up.

Ehm....could you include also me poor beggar of everything TSATF related into the sending of that document? ;) :) :) :) :)

many thanks

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 10:41:01 AM »

March or Die was developed from Pony Wars (also B&B ) so that would be extremely useful in trying to develop something similar.

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 02:36:36 PM »
What about using Howard Whitehouse's Sudan rules?
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 02:49:53 PM »
If you mean "Science vs. Pluck", they are almost the opposite of the solo play the OP is looking for, as they are designed for a bunch of players playing British officers and a GM controlling the Mahdists (and the rest of the world in general). Almost a hybrid of war game and an RPG. Very interesting concept, but perhaps not what Oldboy is after.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...