Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:38:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Kite shields or heaters?  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
Kite shields or heaters?
« on: June 12, 2019, 03:06:55 PM »
Just starting out with a small force of Anglo-Normans c.1150-1250.

I realise heaters replaced kite shields around this time, but do we have any realistic idea about how long kite shields continued in use?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Kite shields or heaters?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 03:32:44 PM »
From my understanding, from the start of your period the kite shield started getting a flat top and then by the end of your period was largely replaced with the shorter heater shield, at least in Western European. It was doubtless a gradual progression with various warlords making the change as they saw fit. I think the kite shield was used for longer in the Levant and Byzantium.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 03:58:11 PM »
I would say that the closer to 1250 that most would be heater shields.  For 1150 I think a mix of kite shields and elongated heater shields (kite shield with top cut off flat basically in shape).  I am not an arms expert, but that is what I have done for my figures in this time period.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 04:34:55 PM »
My advice would really be go with what you think looks best. In the end I doubt anyone really would contest it.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:48:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice gents.

Would the Fireforge Medieval foot sergeants work for this period? They seem to have broad brimmed salets in among the helmets which I always consider more 100 years war...

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 09:55:51 PM »
Its difficult to find good miniatures for this time period. I use the fireforge ones but I kitbash everywhere i can. If you do go for fireforge i'd advice to at least sculpt your own necks on the miniatures with a bit of greenstuff.. it makes them look a lot more like humans that way.

some of the kettles and the flattops work I think.