Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:34:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - a D&D Cleric  (Read 7391 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - a D&D Cleric
« on: June 11, 2019, 08:13:42 AM »
The last couple of weeks I've been having some fun finally finishing some paint jobs that have been lounging unfinished in the back (and bottom) of my display cabinet for far too long.

I started out with a squad of Griffin Miniatures Greys, which rekindled my mojo after a painting drought of several months.

And with the flame burning again, I decided to take on a similar project; a Heresy Miniatures Customs team. These too had been lingering half painted on my shelves for years, and now they're finally finished.

But this brought with it the embarrassing realization that there are just way too many of these unfinished projects collecting dust. Some of these were abandoned because of the next shiny thing, while others were because the reality of (RPG) gaming overtook my painting queue, but unfinished they all still are...

With the above results under my belt, I've come to the resolution to start finishing all those lost projects. There are entire regiments in there for mass battle games, but also single display pieces, and everything in between. This thread is here to chronicle my struggle to correct all those past wrongs.

So to start off this thread, I took out this single Warzone miniature. I received it as a birthday gift from my mother at least a decade ago; maybe even more. At the time, I did not know what to do with it, so it was stored. Several years later, in a bout of inspiration, I decided to paint it as a Weird World War miniature; I created a fancy base, undercoated him black and got as far as doing the skin when the project stalled. And he's been sitting idly for many years ever since.

Warnloser Angriff Rache Gruppe (WARG) Soldat, Model 3.7L. A mechanically and biologically enhanced German super soldier. He's the result of the V6 project, initiated when it was clear that the war was already lost. As part of an enhanced Werewolf program, these super soldiers were to be entombed all over the country, waking up at specific signals, ready to wreak havoc in the occupied fatherland, tirelessly attacking Allied and Russian troops until they were destroyed or spent. Armed with night vision equipment, advanced weapons and armour the equal of tanks, these completely ruthless automatons would be the ultimate terror weapon, long after the Reich had fallen.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 07:14:52 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
Re: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - WARG Soldat
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 03:05:02 PM »
That paint scheme works really nicely - I really like the dark armour against the pale skin and camo. I've always mentally parked Warzone figures as being a little too chunky and over the top, but seeing this guy is making me think again!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 08:17:55 PM »
Nice painting!
I too have a load of unfinished projects(some of which include Warzone,Imperials and Lutherans). Great start!
PS your basing is fab :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 07:11:54 AM »
Many thanks, guys :)

I only now have come to the conclusion that the pictures are a bit dark; I really should take the time to properly photograph my minis instead of quickly putting them on a piece of cardboard with a desk lamp over it and snapping away with my phone-camera.

The grey of the armour is not as dark in real life; it's VMC Basalt Grey, highlighted up to VMC Luftwaffe Grey. Also, the transitions of the highlights are completely washed out in the pictures, but rest assured; they're there. The same goes for the wood grain on the gun's grips and stock.

PS your basing is fab :-*
Cheers; that's high praise from somebody who makes such absolutely awesome terrain... 8)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 08:34:07 AM »
I really like the painting on the Warzone guy.

I've been sorting out my painting room (which had become a junk room) and I've been scandalised by the amount of unfinished and some even unstarted projects I have. I need to stop buying new stuff and actually paint some of the old things. So many good minis untouched and unloved.

I suspect many of us are in the same boat 😂

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 12:44:26 PM »
ALmost 3 years ago, some forum members got the crazy idea to create a Space Marine chapter based on this very forum. Some brainstorming occurred, and the result was the founding of the venerable Lead Legion.

Some of us got around to painting some miniatures for this chapter, the idea being that we'd create an avatar of ourselves within the Legion. I went with being a Scout Sergeant, and was the first to complete a marine in the chosen colours of the chapter.

However; this was a bit of a rush job, in my race to be the first. Additionally, I did this painting while on vacation, and I had brought only very little supplies with me. Also, the lighting and conditions were, let's say, less than optimal.

So it had always been my plan to revisit this first guy. And I had built the rest of his scout squad too, but they lingered in WIP state for several years, with just the skintones completed, but very little else.

But in keeping with this thread, I eventually got to finishing them off, and they're now ready for action. In fact, they had previously been used (in their WIP state *gasp*) in a (watered down) game of Lost Patrol with my little girl (her scouts actually won the day too ;) ), and I intend for them to be used in that capacity from now on.

First, here's a shot of the entire squad:

Then there's the Sergeant. I changed very little to him, but I did replace the hamfisted, hand painted chapter badge and the alchemical symbol for lead on his right kneepad with decals I printed up for the squad.

I managed to foul up the application of the chapter symbol a bit though (too much Microsol while still repositioning the decal ::) ), so I had to retouch it by hand. And I just noticed a bit of a mistake there, which I will repair, but that was only after the pictures were taken, so bear with me on that...

Then the first scout. He's armed with the traditional scout load out of a Bolt Pistol and a Combat Knife. The colours on his left kneepad have been inverted, to indicate that he's the senior scout in the squad, and has command when the sergeant is not there. Obviously this has nothing to do with the fact that this decal too was ruined during application (it tore in at least 3 separate pieces) and I had printed no spares, so I had to use a GW issued number that unfortunately was white. No sir; nothing at all... lol

Like his brethren, he bears the Lead Legion scout symbol of the X-Acto blade on his chest, and the alchemical symbol for lead on his massive belt buckle.

As tradition demands, his Bolt Pistol bears markings for all kills made with it, in this case, 11.

The Scout bearing number 3 has been given the honour of wielding the squad's heavy weapon, a Heavy Bolter in this particular case. This venerable weapon is a relic of the chapter and proudly displays its kill markings; 7 vehicles and 23 enemies. It also bears an Imperial Aquilla as an honour marking for enduring effective fire under combat conditions.

The Scout is further armed with his standard issue Bolt Pistol, sporting 3 kill stripes.

The following scout, bearing number 4 on his knee pad, has been allowed to carry a brand new Bolt Gun into battle, to whet the weapon's spirit's thirst for heretic blood. In this scout's hands, it has already issued the Emperor's wrath onto two enemies.

He has rounded out his armament with a rather ornate Combat Knife, no doubt issued to him for acts of bravery.

The final scout in the squad, bearing number 5, brings a particularly effective close quarters loadout of a Shotgun and a Combat Knife. The Shotgun is brutally  effective against groups of enemies, often resulting in massive kill counts, as is evident from the gun's impressive 22 kill markings.

This scout also sports a crude tattoo of the Imperial Eagle on the side of his head, probably acquired before his induction into the Lead Legion. However; it is still a mark of pride.

Like all of his Scout brethren, he wears two gold ear studs. Only after they have been initiated as full Battle Brothers, will they be allowed to shed these trinkets, to indicate that they are now capable of exchanging all of their gold for lead.

And finally, here is the squad in action. They find themselves in quite a pickle, as their Patrol is Lost in the jungle, and their search for a certain Escape Pod has stalled, as they are being beset from all sides by Lurkers in the undergrowth...

Yes; another WIP project finally completed! :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:47:34 AM by Daeothar »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - Lead Legion Scout Squad
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 01:12:34 AM »
Cracking work mate,love the scalpel insignia  :-*

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 04:39:54 AM »
Love it. Well done and love the back stories.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 11:53:21 AM »
These look great and I love the Lead Legion idea! The next Space Marine I paint will definitely be a member (no promises about when that will be, but the intention is there...)

I would be a bit nervous about getting the insignia wrong though - there appears to be more detailed info on the appearance of this chapter than there is on most historical forces!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 12:00:48 PM »
They look great  8)

Totally forgot about this. I've still got my techmarine somewhere  ???
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 08:23:06 AM »
Thanks guys!

These sculpts are still pretty good, despite being decades old, and I had a lot of fun with them.

...there appears to be more detailed info on the appearance of this chapter than there is on most historical forces!

So true; that's what you get when a bunch of wargamers get to invent a unit; they're all so read up on military history, you'll get a complete history and background, famous commanders, battle honours and distinctions, uniforms, heraldry etc. Hey; it's what we do... lol

Totally forgot about this. I've still got my techmarine somewhere  ???

[SCOUTSERGEANT]Well don't just stand there, son! Get cracking, or I'll have you scrubbing the Latrinium with your toothbrush! Go, go, go!![/SCOUTSERGEANT]  ;D

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 12:24:38 PM »
Great stuff, both the WARG and the scouts!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 09:20:12 PM »
Well, being locked down has its pros and cons, and even though it has unexpectedly turned out to be a quite stressful period, I did find myself some time to actually do some painting!

I first did another 20 Necron Warriors for my OOP all metal Necron army. But more on those later, as I still need to take the time to take pictures of them.

Then I did my D&D character for our new online RPG campaign, set in Eberron; a Warforged Paladin. But same story there... ::)

And yesterday I finished a bunch I had already started a thread on, here on the LAF, but obviously never finished; my Death Guard squad for Kill Team.

The theme seemed morbidly appropriate, and I wanted something to really go to town on after the Necron assembly line, so off the shelf of shame they came.

And what an absolute blast they were to paint!

I did most of the work with washes and glazes, as those techniques seemed the most appropriate, considering the subject matter and the look I was aiming for.

In the end I found these guys to be the most enjoyable painting project in ages; it feels like forever since I really got into my painting, focussing and doing sittings of many hours at a time.

Yes, I'm really happy with how they turned out, and I'm actually considering doing up a small 40K army of them now!

So here they are; the plasma gunner is my absolute favourite...  8)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:55:52 PM by Daeothar »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - Death Guard Kill Team
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 02:40:53 AM »
Those are truly hideous.  Well done!
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Re: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - Death Guard Kill Team
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 07:11:04 AM »
You're on a roll dude.
Just think of all the gaming we can do when this is over.
I've had some supersparklyspace-elves waiting for some kill-team action for a while now and, with all the scenery I've been building of late, have plenty of stuff for them to fight your pussballs over.

Cool to see everything you've been finishing.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'