Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:10:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - a D&D Cleric  (Read 7394 times)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - Death Guard Kill Team
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2021, 09:20:21 PM »
Waay back in 2012, Hasslefree did a small sculpting competition, where contestants were sent a bare Hasslefree dolly, and they could then use that dolly as the basis for their entry. I jumped to the occasion, and entered with my own creation; the Night Nurse from Hell.

I actually had to resculpt part of the face, which had a neutral expression, so I could give her a smile. Because initially, I had been aiming for a representation of this depiction of the main character from Robotech Southern Cross; Dana Sterling (in one episode, the mecha squad commander dons a nurse's uniform in order to reach a hospitalized enemy pilot who was under guard IIRC).

However, my sculpting skills being what they were, the envisioned smile became more of an evil smirk, so I reset my goals and turned her into the sidekick of some sort of evil  doctor, or something like that. But I guess the tagline might still apply ;)

Not surprisingly, I did not even come close to winning, because the field was just filled with the most awesome of sculpts! But one of the perks of competing, was the fact that every one of the (castable) miniatures in the contest would be cast, and each participant would get one of each sculpt. The winner's sculpt would also be included in Hasslefree's standard catalogue, which was truly awesome!

I opted to get a few more of my own sculpt. I mean this was my first ever moulded and cast miniature, so I wanted plenty of spares. Especially since the original was damaged in the moulding process, so this was the only chance to get the sculpt.

But things being as they are, when I finally received my sculpts, they were inspected, shown around locally, and then stored, because of other projects taking front seat.

A couple of years later, I finally decided to paint one of them up, as a bit of a surprise for my wife, who was still a nurse herself at the time. But again, the project (as small as it was!) ended up on the WIP shelf, and has remained there for many, many years. I sometimes picked it up again, but for some reason I could not get into the flow of the miniature, and after a very short attempt, she would end back up in her spot on the WIP shelf again.

But this evening, after (yet more) sanding of more components of my first Imperial Knight, I just picked her up again and finished her. And all it took was highlighting her shoes and doing the rim of the base! I have no clue as to why I did not finish her a long time ago; she had been untouched in this state for at least a year (probably more)... ::)

But here we are, finally.

I found that the often interrupted paintjob is certainly not my best. I'm ok with the colour choice alright, but the execution does leave something to be desired. Also, the casting had some damage to the right side of the face, meaning that along the way, I decided to turn those into scars, as if she had her eye clawed out in the past by an unhappy patient perhaps?

I don't know if this feature is unique to this specific miniature, or if all of the casts have it. I need to check my bare metal spares for that.

All in all though, I'm happy now that nine years after the fact, I have finally painted my creation... :)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 09:23:06 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - Night Nurse from Hell
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 08:24:05 AM »
It is nice to get things off the shelves of shame.
Well done, the only figures I do are aliens & beasties,
that way I don't have to make them look human. :D

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 01:06:13 PM »
good job on a scary sculpt.

the plague-marine thingies above are great paint-jobs.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 02:28:01 PM »
Cheers guys :)

Almost 4 years to the dot, I posted this mech in a WIP state, accompanying a squad of DWAN Corporate Troopers I had just finished.

And this week, I decided to put it out of its misery and finish its paintjob, once and for all.

It actually took me longer than I had expected (dang, there's a lot of edge highlighting on this thing ::) ), but I'm pretty happy with the result.

I not only applied the decals I had printed for it back when, but I also raided the decals box, and came up with several suitable ex-aviation decals, that worked really well on the mech. And I even made sure I had two extra sets I put aside, because I have two more Firetoads to convert and paint to go with this one...

Next stalled WIP!! :D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 10:43:39 PM by Daeothar »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - DWAN Trooper Mech
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 10:18:56 PM »
Nice! Got some similar walkers kicking around,I’ll have to do something with them  :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2021, 08:42:46 AM »
Well sorth the wait.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2021, 09:15:55 AM »
Great work as usual mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2021, 09:49:07 AM »
Excellent paint job  8)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2022, 02:33:55 PM »
'After painting the Humans from my 3rd ed Bloodbowl set and playing a game with them, it was clear that they were in desperate need of some backup in the form of a couple of star players, because they could not hold their own against pretty much any team (except perhaps my Goblins lol ).

So I quickly put Griff Oberwald and The Mighty Zug on my painting table. But, as happens most of the time, other projects took prescedent, and they sat in my WIP cabinet for more than 3 years, untouched.

And obviously, Bloodbowl was not played in this time.

But for some reason, I decided to do them up a couple of weeks ago. So I stripped them (they had respectively a black undercoat and a badly stripped previous job on them), cleaned some remaining mould lines, based them and undercoated them. White this time.

And because I had made the decals when I painted the basic team, I had 4 star player decals left, one of which a rather big one.

So naturally I had to get me Morg 'n Torg as well, as he was the other star player allowed to the Human team.

He arrived quickly, and I gave him the same treatment as the other two in one afternoon, and started painting on the trio that evening.

It took a while, since painting time is at a premium these days, but I finally finished them off yesterday morning.

So here they are, after a 3 year hiatus:

And here's the entire bunch together for their first team picture :D

The only one still missing is Hoshi Komi. I know he's actually 2nd ed., but I have the model and I converted his stats and abilities to 3rd. I mean; a Kendoka/Ninja player in the team is just too cool not to be able to take, right?

Too bad I couldn't find the model when I started on these boys, because by rights he should have been included in the queue. Perhaps in another 3 years eh... ::)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 06:56:54 AM by Daeothar »

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
Re: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - Bloodbowl Star Players
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2022, 04:43:48 PM »
They sound splendidferous but unfortunately I can't see any pictures.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2022, 05:06:12 PM »
As usual, it's probably the lack of the latest certificates on my webspace.  ::)

Either try using Firefox, or opening the pics in a new window...

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2022, 07:09:44 PM »
opening the pics in a new window..

That's what I did, slower than being able to see them first time,
but take it from me they are worth it. :D

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2022, 06:32:35 AM »
Has it only been 3 years?  :D
You're further along with them than my planned dark elf conversion. Best I could do was open the boxes and look at the sprues.

Lovely blue and skin tones. Best to not foul those nice uniforms up with too much skaven blood.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2022, 09:36:11 PM »
Ok, so technically, this guy was never abandoned; it was a prepainted miniature that I got only last week, but I didn't want to start an entire new thread just for this little fella...  ::)

He started out as a prepainted Raven Guard, but now he's a Black Templar. from basecoating the mini in black till completion really only took a couple of hours, but it was a fun little side-project, and now it will probably sit beneath my monitor at work. I mean; it's not as if he would even see actual battle...  lol

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - Tiny Templar
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2022, 05:37:36 AM »
Nice, & dare I say it...Cute. :)