Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:54:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - a D&D Cleric  (Read 7395 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - a full regiment of daemons
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2022, 04:34:42 PM »
Nicely done mate! Very clever on the movement trays. 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2022, 04:44:51 PM »
Great stuff  :) The tray is a nice little touch  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2022, 06:32:28 PM »
The painting, basing and pile of skulls all look great. For me, though, the highlight of the post was your description of the process that took you to the end point. I’m pretty sure some coffee ended up on my lap, by way of my nostrils! I can very much relate about being distractable and wandering anywhere except where the current project is supposed to be going. I appreciate knowing that others share the same… condition.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2023, 07:14:29 PM »
A while ago, two of my colleagues and I discovered that all three of us are active RPG players, and miniature painters to boot! Obviously, this has lead to much more enjoyable and interesting lunch conversations than any of us used to have before, and we can show off our latest painted minis as well.

All this lead to the plan to do a one-off RPG session together. At least once, to test the waters and the most vanilla system obviously is D&D (5th ed). So after randomly determining who would be the DM (by virtual dice rolls), we decided on a date and place, and the DM has even already sent out a small teaser introduction.

Considering this will be just a one-off, I was not going to build a character from the ground up, but rather I decided to use an online character creation tool, and had one ready in just 5 minutes; a 5th level Cleric with scale mail, a mace, shield and light crossbow. We could also roll on a table for some extra magical items, and I rolled a healing potion and a potion of firebreath.

Now obvioulsy, even when doing just a one-shot game, we would need miniatures to represent our characters. I could let the DM handle this, but where's the fun in that? Also; I wanted to have some fun painting something I would normally not do, so I went online to find the perfect miniature.

But oddly enough, pickings were rather thin, especially since I wanted a WYSIWYG mini for our first game. So I then went onto Hero Forge, created my own cleric from the ground up, and downloaded the STL. Two hours of printing later, and I had my character ready for painting!

This was my first time using the service and I must say, for what they do, they are excellent. The choices in race, physical appearance, clothing, armour, weapons and accessories are nigh endless. And then we haven't even touched upon the poseability, which also is almost limitless.

The only complaint I might have is the fact that the eventual STL and print are both noticeably less sharp than the initial render. NOt horribly so, but especially during painting, this became clear and some areas were a bit soft. It could of course be my slicer and printer, but I've never had this issue before...

Regardless; I'm pretty satisfied witht he result, and I feel I might do this again for later campaigns, even with my regular group!

This the render on Hero Forge:

And here's the end result, printed and painted:

Finally, here he is, distributing justice to some undead with his mace:

Let's hope he's as fearless in the game next week :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - a D&D Cleric
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2023, 09:09:00 PM »
That hero forge figure came out nice.  I am sure that the softer details are noticeable IRL but here it looks fine. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Re: Daeothar's Home for Abandoned Paintjobs - a D&D Cleric
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2023, 10:02:14 AM »
That sure is one sweet glamour shot.
Let's hear all about how he fared during the game when we meet up.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'