Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:10:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My new terrain project: modular DUNGEON  (Read 20704 times)

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Re: My new terrain project: modular DUNGEON
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2019, 11:26:40 AM »
I have a sword type wire cutter and it's great for hills and whatnot, but I had a devil of a time getting straight lines. There are table saw set ups that would be perfect but don't make enough terrain to justify the purchase.

This dungeon is looking great, btw. Can you soak/stiffen the foam with white glue where you plan to use the hinges? Or add a thin strip of balsa wood?

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2019, 12:31:49 PM »
Imo, speaking about the cheap side, bow/wire hot cutter Is the best. If you want to have (almost) straight Lines use a Stick ( mine Is wooden) as a guide. Otherwise if you want something perfect Just buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.it/Proxxon-Utensile-da-Taglio-Termico/dp/B0012BEKHU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=foam+cutter&qid=1568981858&sprefix=foam+cutter&sr=8-3

Btw mine Is this One https://www.amazon.it/GOCHANGE-Elettrica-Polistirolo-Elettronico-Trasformatore/dp/B07JYB55G8/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=foam+cutter&qid=1568981858&smid=AP624EJMED5MJ&sprefix=foam+cutter&sr=8-4

Yeah, I used both glue and a cover of plastic sheet but my hinges were too hard and small, EPS too soft so After some uses It breaks.

So I thought a more radical solution. Bigger hinges (that are super soft and open only with Gravity) but this means my maze Will have 3cm (not the normal 2) High walls. Not tested yet but if 1cm EPS won't work, I'll use my 2cm XPS for a kind of fortress/labyrinth/maze.

On the sewer side other problems. My 3d paste was not transparent, so I ordered specific products....

https://ak-interactive.com/product/water-gel-effects-100ml/
https://ak-interactive.com/product/water-gel-swamp-green-250ml/
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:33:53 PM by D. Brownie »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2019, 12:48:06 PM »
I'm with Dentatus. Here are my thoughts.

Build a dedicated "hinge end" out of balsa, (marked W for wood) and then run your normal toothpick spikes perpendicular to the foam wall. That way you would have material hard enough to screw into with the current hinge, and a way to mount the normal foam. I would also probably build the hinged section slightly (like 1mm) shorter than the mounted side so it swings "freely" without dragging the ground.

The lower tech solution is to ditch the actual hinge and simply run a spike (unglued) into the end of the wall and allow that to be the hinge. You could probably run a sleeve in the foam, like a straw/tube, so the spike isn't rubbing on the softer foam but just turns in the sleeve. Once all that is glued in place you wouldn't have any problems hinging/removing the wall altogether if you desired to do so.

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »
Thank you guys,
I didn't understood the balsa solution before... Stand the problem that EPS Is fragile and if you apply a moderate pressure breaks in 2 parts. And this Will probably happen since the small hinges are very hard. You should use a balsa wood Wall for all the sections that are subject to pressure (i.e. all the mobile Wall and a same lenght on the other side. - 5cm in my case).
Your second solution seems more feasible to me. I'll certainly try it, and if EPS holds I'll probably use it ;)
Very clever idea!!!

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2019, 06:45:24 PM »
Made 1st project returning home by train.... Too ambitious???
Every Square Is 1x1 cm and so the basic module Is 5cm.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2019, 01:31:49 AM »
Could you also do the same with some simple square pegs sticking out the bottom? (less visually obvious).  Pick up the wall...slot it in 90-180 degrees from where it was, etc.  I know it's tough to "plant" stuff in soft foam.  I could also see simple magnets in the bottom of the wall sections, etc.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2019, 05:14:19 AM »
Thank you!!!
This could be a solution if I can't make the automatic plan :)
Using magnets ( but not too powerful) could instead be a useful idea to stop automatic Doors in the right position. I bought years ago a magnetic roll that I never used... Maybe the time has come lol

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2019, 05:54:50 PM »
Yes, It works :D Now I have to think about aesthetic.
Bought an aluminium tube to cut and appropriate screws....

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2019, 09:30:50 AM »
Easy part done: really big basement... 2/3 cm bigger I couldn't put it in my box ::)
I think (if everything Will go ok) I could use It alone for small actions....

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2019, 09:50:40 AM »
The outcome on the pieces is somewhat shiny. Maybe Army Painter's anti-shine or similar product would help? Or even a very soft drybrush over the finish to take off the worst gleam.

But all in all, very nice to see another hand-made dungeon in the world of ready molds and 3d-printing!

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2019, 12:18:32 PM »
Thank you!
Army painter Matt varnish like all spray I think would melt Xps and EPS. Dry brushing over vynilic glue on the other side Is incompatible with my Little obsession for the invitable scratches that would happen by using the dungeon.... lol
I was worried by shiness at the beginning, but now I get used to It.
Ideal solution would be something like a vynilic glue becoming opaque when dried.

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2019, 01:48:16 PM »
Spray will not melt foam that is fully covered by layers of paint and/or glue. This only happens if you spray uncovered (or even partially exposed) foam. So, just be sure to cover the entire surface and you can spray without worries. I've done it kazillion times.

Try it on a test piece if you are unsure.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:51:24 PM by November »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2019, 03:34:29 PM »

If you look for Black Magic Craft’s video on YouTube, you’ll find that he uses a mix of Modpodge and acrylic paints as a base coat for all his foam construction… I’ve tried it and it work very well, it also gives a sort of "plastic rigidity" to the pieces...
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2019, 06:08:56 PM »
Thank you very much guys! Very interesting informations :)
I'll make experiments, but I think that this project Is too far ahead to change so radically. Otherwise I think I'll abandon glossy things for all my further foam projects. ;)

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2019, 11:41:01 AM »
Project translated from paper to the basement, cut the 10  3cm aluminium tubes needed for the 10 moving walls and made more experiments with them. I used magnetic roll and tacks and It works well.... Now I have to test It After covering everything with glue....