Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:56:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Thing inspired. Pulp (WIP.)  (Read 4232 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
The Thing inspired. Pulp (WIP.)
« on: June 17, 2019, 09:02:38 AM »
Rather than muck around doing 'Not' figures.I spent a little time looking at the also ran concept drawings for the film.To find a little inspiration and some different takes on the subject as I wanted something that nods at the film but can be used in a more than the one setting.
This is getting there but still needs tweaking.Whilst musing on how to make it a usable figure .I couldn't resist going full retro and having a play with the 50's version.( at some point I might have a crack at the original 30's book version's)
Mark.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:50:35 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Thing inspired. Pulp (WIP.)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 05:31:35 PM »
Oh go on & admit it, you pressed the wrong buttons on the 3D printer.
Very nice though. Want to see it painted.

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »
That's brilliant Mark! Absolutely love the 50's version, great touch with the 2x4 and dog :D

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 11:01:57 PM »
No it's definitely clay lol (don't tell anyone but I spent the entire build trying not to end up with a polymorph . Its all that kept popping into my head and the urge to make a Mr Dibbley   flask and all  ;))
with the 50's version I added a couple of little nods to scenes in the movie. (the dead dog and the plank.) But I think it needs a couple of figures to give it context.
I won't be painting it up for a while (as Chris Abbey wants it for Sally 4th.)
The 50's version will probably end up in my Follies range at 1st Corps as I've an urge to build a few more 'black and white movie'  themed monster's No idea which but thats nothing new.

Offline Hoser

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 12:45:08 PM »
Please keep us updated on the production status of these horrible figures!

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 09:45:26 AM »
Thanks Mark, awesome sculpting as always.

As Mark mentioned 'The Thing' is destined to be an early stretch goal in the next Sally 4th Classic Movie Miniatures campaign.
Episode 3: Whiteout.
Classic Movie Miniatures are miniatures inspired by some of our favorite movies. Episode 3 is all about cold places (and a bit of spy-fi) on the side. 'The Thing' worked it's way due to links to an Arctic Base.

The campaign starts in 5 days (29th June).

Lot's of photos of the other arctic goodness on the gallery pages.
http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/ClassicMovies
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 12:12:55 PM »
If the 50's version is a stretch goal just tell me now how much I need to pledge and I'll unlock it myself for everyone  lol lol
Must have!!

Online DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 02:59:26 PM »
Very nice! It’s one of my favorite movies- at least the first two versions.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 02:01:25 PM »
Just to let you know, Classic Movies Episode 3:Whiteout launched yesterday and was funded in the first couple of hours and quickly smashed through the first five stretch goals, so the critter inspired by the 1980's version has been funded and is available now.

We are currently £116 away from funding the 1950's version, so I'd expect that to be available to by the end of the day.

Full details on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179272384/616441270

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 07:26:22 AM »
Just a quick update to let you know that the 1950's Thing got funded and that we are also looking at an objective / plot point pack based on 'The Thing', including The tail fin from the flying saucer, the block of ice they found the Thing in (making it with the electric blanket on it would probably be the easiest, but a melted version with the ropes over his outline could be fun too!), maybe Tex's radio desk or Dr. Carrington's computer console, Scotty's camera sitting on an oil drum, or maybe the plant box with the plasma bags on them.

Full details on campaign page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179272384/classic-movie-miniatures-episode-3-white-out/description

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 08:59:01 AM »
This looks great. Fantastic work!
Paraquat Welcomes Careful Drivers a sort of narrative blog.

Slag Valley Bullett in the grim darkness of the far future, there is a newspaper.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 11:47:23 AM »
Quick update.
Both the 1950's and 1980's inspired versions of 'The Thing' got funded and are available through the Classic Movie Miniatures Kickstater which finishes on Monday morning (15th July).
Last night we passed an additional stretch goal which means that we are also making available a five piece plot point / objective marker set inspired by the 1950's version of 'The Thing'.

This will contain models off:

Tail fin of saucer
    'The Thing' in ice block
    Radio Transmiter
    Camera on Oil Drum
    Plants in seed trays being fed by plasma bags

Full details on campaign pages @ https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179272384/classic-movie-miniatures-episode-3-white-out/description

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »
Just a quick reminder that there in now less than 12 hours until the end of Classic Movie Miniatures Episode 3:Whiteout Kickstarter campaign. A stack of new models have been added to the campaign including a DB5, miniatures inspired by the 1950's and 1980's versions of 'The Thing', Soviet Paras in Arctic Kit and loads more pulpy / spy-fi miniatures, vehicles and terrain.
If you want to take a look before the campaign ends, this is the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179272384/classic-movie-miniatures-episode-3-white-out

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 09:04:25 PM »

This is the set of five plot points inspired by the 1950's version of 'The Thing'
        Tail fin of saucer
        'The Thing' in ice block
        Radio Transmiter
        Camera on Oil Drum
        Plants in seed trays being fed by plasma bags

This is now available to pre-order on Gamefound: https://gamefound.com/projects/sally-4th/whiteout

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 09:56:59 PM »
Really looks good!