Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:14:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Humvee´s....anyone?  (Read 1373 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Humvee´s....anyone?
« on: June 13, 2019, 06:02:00 PM »
I need some 28mm or 1/48 Humvee`s for Mogadishu but I struggle to find the best price/performance. I would be grateful for any advice!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:11:29 PM by traveller »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
Re: Humvee´s....anyone?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 10:06:37 PM »
Pig Iron Productions ones are pretty good resin castings for a similar price (includes a couple of variants):

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/vehicles-c-8.html?zenid=3t0sj7q6id15rrgjshqm9cm4b7

I quite like the ones from Spectre Miniatures due to the wide range of options (and they're more detailed) - but they're twice the price and as usual with Spectre out of stock.

https://www.spectreminiatures.com/collections/hmv

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 11:45:50 PM »
Empress have 1/50 scale HMMWVs.

The problem is getting pre 2000 models.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 01:18:13 AM »
Tamiya have a 1/48th plastic kit which turns up in model shops often. It has an interior if that's what you want, though probably not necessary unless you want to make a wreck (its a shame we're short on resin Humvee wrecks).

I'd go with either Empress or Pig Iron Productions (they're apparently similarly sized, Pig Iron being a bit larger). Those who follow my own Modern thread will know my opinion on Spectre's Humvee - i.e. the quality control was terrible with casting defects all over the place, even after sending a replacement out (and I've yet to buy a vehicle kit yet from there which hasn't been more work than any other resin kit from other manufacturers, even the better casts from them).

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 08:59:16 AM »
TAG produce a 1/50 HMMWV. Most of their vehicles seem to be OOP much of the time but I believe they cast them up once a year. Worth asking them.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 09:09:19 AM »
I'd buy from Empress Miniatures if I was you  :-* lol

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 02:36:41 PM »
Thanks all for your comments. Much appreciated! I think the TAG one is the winner so far(sorry Empress) I wonder though if anyone has any experience with the Maisto diecast model? I have seen it labelled as both scale 1/43 and 1/40 but it would be interesting to see it beside 28mm miniatures.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »
I wouldn't bother with diecasts unless they're your only option. If its labeled as 1/43rd (rather than 1/50th - which usually means 1/43rd to manufacturers anyway) then it'll be even larger than the already out sized 1/48th-1/50th models. I have some 1/43rd scale Humvees and bought a smaller Humvee to replace them as they just looked so huge.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 06:16:34 PM »
Thanks all for your comments. Much appreciated! I think the TAG one is the winner so far(sorry Empress) I wonder though if anyone has any experience with the Maisto diecast model? I have seen it labelled as both scale 1/43 and 1/40 but it would be interesting to see it beside 28mm miniatures.
I do not have a HMMWV, but I do have a 1/56 and 1/43 scale VW Beetle/Type 82E.

I will see if I can add the Tamiya Type 82E to the comparison.

Just for Captain Blood, William Killian on a 25mm base for scale.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 06:22:50 PM »
Have got a bunch of the TAG ones and they are great - I’d also recommend the Fenris Games ones as compatible...again, worth emailing Ian as I think they are out of stock but he does his own casting.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 07:03:12 PM »

Left to right: 1/56 Company B VW 82E; 1/48 Tamiya 82E; 1/43 die cast VW Beetle.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 07:36:09 PM »

I have the Maisto one and it is way bigger than the Brittania one - you couldn't put them on the same table together :( They're about the same height, but the Britannia one is shorter and thinner.

I think I picked the Maisto one up at a show, so didn't have anything to compare it to, but not my best buy

One thing to note with the Britannia one - the gunner figure is huge. You may be able to use him, but he is way out of scale to the rest of the model

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 08:40:54 PM »
Great comments! Seems TAG is the way to go. Many thanks!