Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:35:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Redwall/Mouse Guard/Forest Animal miniatures: need recommendations  (Read 16500 times)

Offline chuman

• Assistant
Re: Redwall/Mouse Guard/Forest Animal miniatures: need recommendations
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 12:23:21 AM »
Very nice indeed - but a tad too piratey as you already guessed. Thanks for the contribution nevertheless!

I've been thinking, perhaps you could go with some basic simple mice figures and customise the cloak and weapons to simulate the Mouse Guard look - shouldn't be too hard I'd imagine. But still, where do you find nice mice figures, which is at least standing up on two legs?

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 12:30:34 AM »
I would also recommend the Druid's Children from Splintered Light. They scale fine with 28mm humans. Now, if you want to play with 28mm figs and scale your terrain to those figs, etc, then maybe the other models.

As it stands, my Splintered Light next to my fantasy figures look just about perfect. Not too tiny, and obviously not as large as a man.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 01:47:29 AM »
I also think you are going to get more Mouse/Guard/Mice Templar/Redwally feel out of the Splintered Light's Druid's Children line.

I will also mention again that the Druid's Children is a "living" miniatures line and so if you are starting up a project with intent to expand on it, would be a wise choice. David at Splintered Light has told me that he has more expansions on the way with more to come if there is interest in the line.

-Eli
-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline marko.oja

• Scientist
    • My Photobucket
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »
Splintered Light  Children of the Druid is what you want

http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/splinteredlands.html

Did you have to do that? Just as I had decided not to order anything for a while?  >:(

Oh well, another day, another project I guess  ;)

Marko
Currently painting: Black Hat Three Musketeers range.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 02:21:26 PM »
Minifgs/GFI has a line of mouslings in 25mm that were originally done by Reaper. They are new sculpts added to the Dungeon Dwellers line.

http://www.minifigs.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=194_208_195&&page=3

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 03:03:21 PM »
Those look like they'd be pretty small too.

I'd be interested in seeing the relative sizes of the Minifigs, Lance & Laser and Splintered Light minis. :)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 05:05:59 AM »
I like the Redwall series as well and have always been on the lookout for appropriate miniatures.

Likewise, though it's a back-burner project. Got too many going already as it is. Still haven't obtained all the books, though I've read most of them regardless.

I'd suggest those Skaven things from Warhammer Fantasy for the rats. Maybe the Brothers White from Zombiesmith for some juvenile rabbit characters because they seem a tad small for the rabbits of Redwall. As for those, I'm a bit lost for suggestions. The others suggestions will be of a great help to me though.

Asmodeusssss!
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 07:59:33 AM »
I can second the Splintered Light minis. I have scaled them next to my 28mm figs and they definitely are not to scale for the sorts of animals they are. They do however make a huge variety of poses and animals and the range will be expanding.

-Eli

My friend has gone down this line and is struggling to paint up the rleases form Splintered light and I have to say with Bob Olley sculpting they are little beauties

Offline chuman

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 10:04:41 AM »
Some great suggestions so far - just wanted to say thanks for those who chimed in. In a nutshell, it doesn't look like there's a "perfect" range out there for what I'd like to do, but I think I'll go with the Splintered Light as well as some Lance & Laser figs (you can never have enough lead, right? ;-)

If anyone's interested I'll post up some comparison pics when I get these, although it may take a while since these minis will have to be shipped international for me (I'm based in the UK). In fact I'll probably start up a project website should anyone wish to follow.

Offline marko.oja

• Scientist
    • My Photobucket
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 11:32:19 AM »
If anyone's interested I'll post up some comparison pics when I get these, although it may take a while since these minis will have to be shipped international for me (I'm based in the UK). In fact I'll probably start up a project website should anyone wish to follow.

Please do, I'm always interested in stuff I could justify getting by thinking of them as child-friendly.

Marko

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »
Some great suggestions so far - just wanted to say thanks for those who chimed in. In a nutshell, it doesn't look like there's a "perfect" range out there for what I'd like to do, but I think I'll go with the Splintered Light as well as some Lance & Laser figs (you can never have enough lead, right? ;-)

That would be great, another small range I remembered are the rabbits from Zombiesmith

Offline chuman

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 09:01:51 PM »
That would be the Brother's White then:

I like the the two poses on the right. Says on the Zombiesmith website that they are 18mm from their toes to the tip of their ears. Not very big, but at $6.00 for the lot, a bargain IMO.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 10:20:11 PM »
Standard Games (they made a boardgame called Cry Havoc) did a range of animal figures a few years ago, I vaguely recall badgers, and possibly hedgehogs, but I think the moulds may have been sold on to Amazon Miniatures ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 04:37:22 AM »
I got to see the Splintered Light mini's up close this weekend and I was really impressed.  I wanted to get some just for the fun of painting.  Amazing detail in those little figs.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 12:14:28 PM »
Sorry to resurrect but think I have to get the rebels ;D