Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:33:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691094
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Is there a dragon in the Lake District? UPDATED  (Read 5908 times)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Is there a dragon in the Lake District? UPDATED
« on: June 23, 2009, 05:43:36 PM »
Ilustrated London News, 23rd June 1889.

Following curious reports from the Lake District of flame arcing into the night sky and the ground vibrating we sent our intrepid reporter Milton Keen to investigate. Farmers in the environs of Lake Windermere have reported disturbing and thunderous vibrations eminating from the ground beneath their feet to the extent that one farmer has claimed structural damage to his out-buildings and boundry walls. Even more curious are the reports of ribbons of flame arcing into the night sky from the direction of the army training grounds to the west of the lake.

Armed with his photographic equipment Mr Keen has furnished us with some amazing images which will astound our readers and strike fear into the cold hearts of Britains enemies. The first plate was taken by Mr Keen after he witnessed what he described as a prolonged violent vibration beneath his feet. He then saw a mighty contraption pierce the earth and rise towards the sky:

While observing the mechanics of this contraption come to a stop Mr Keen's attention was arrested by movement in nearby trees. He then saw men in what can be described as breathing suits moving towards him, one appeared to be armed with a weapon we are at a loss to identify:

Although the images are not entirely clear we at the Illustrated London News believe we have solved the mystery of the Lake District dragon. The contraption witnessed by Mr Keen appears to be a type of tunneling machine while the strange weapon carried by the soldier in the breathing suit is probably a device for projecting flame.

P.S More pics in colour are available on request
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:34:08 PM by Thunderchicken »
Don't!

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
Re: Is there a dragon in the Lake District?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:51:35 PM »
I like the the story and the pictures. Is there a complete machine or just the coming out of the ground? More pictures please..

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 06:27:22 PM »
That's dashed unfortunate, damage to the farmer's outbuildings you say? What the duce are the Admiralty up to, Eh What?

Marvellous stuff. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »
Good stuff Thunderchicken!   :D

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:51:09 PM »
Thanks chaps. More pics to follow.

I've stored the pics (including the ones above) on Photobucket but I want to make them larger. All Photobucket will do is let me downsize them to 'smaller' or 'tiny', it wont even let me manually resize them. Any clues or suggestions of another storage medium anyone? 

Edit: SORTED!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:30:15 PM by Thunderchicken »

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 06:53:35 PM »
I like the the story and the pictures. Is there a complete machine or just the coming out of the ground? More pictures please..

The mole is from Ramshackle Games and is only coming out of the ground. I'll get some more pics for you. If you want a complete one I think Scheltrum has one.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 07:56:27 PM »
Its not a dragon, its me and Danny The Chimp on our Chaps Annual Outdoor Expedition Avec Parafino Weekend.

Great little story TC! No doubt the Devil Doctor is up to no good again.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 08:00:11 PM »
Its not a dragon, its me and Danny The Chimp on our Chaps Annual Outdoor Expedition Avec Parafino Weekend.

???

Nice one TC. Any chance of a different pic of the infantry chaps?
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 08:36:07 PM »

???

Its not an acronym. Its just us getting monumentally baked on exotic booze and crashing about in the woods.

Or it would be if it were real.  :(

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 09:14:24 PM »

???

Its not an acronym. Its just us getting monumentally baked on exotic booze and crashing about in the woods.

We could make it real!!  ;D

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 09:26:34 PM »

???

We could make it real!!  ;D

Dont be stupid, pre Missus JollyBob maybe but not now you wont :D :D

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 09:29:19 PM »
Right, here's some colour pics:

The mole:

This is the infantry. They are Gas Gunners from Scheltrum. I've adapted half of them to carry rifles to give fire support to the Gas Gunners. Basically they will operate in squads of ten men and be transported in the mole to be used as shock troops. The Gas Gunners carry all manner of chemicals and gas on their backs which allow them to project flame up to a range of 80ft. Not a bad range but naturally they are quite dangerous to use and there is a slight chance the operator will explode while merrily going about his business. The suits provide protection from the heat and flame and they are presently being adapted for off-world expeditions.   

(Sorry to spoil the moment but I cant help thinking the Gas Gunners look like they might be playing a guitar at a Status Quo gig).

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Is there a dragon in the Lake District? UPDATED
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 10:12:34 PM »
Nice one Neil. I must get one of those moles from Curtis.

Meanwhile, following the Prussian occupation of Kent, the Royal Engineers have relocated their base from Rochester to the Brunel works at Swindon. From their new base it is rumoured that, under the direction of Major Ironside-Hobart, the Engineers have developed new vehicles to break the siege of London. More news soon .....
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 10:41:07 PM »

Meanwhile, following the Prussian occupation of Kent, the Royal Engineers have relocated their base from Rochester to the Brunel works at Swindon. From their new base it is rumoured that, under the direction of Major Ironside-Hobart, the Engineers have developed new vehicles to break the siege of London. More news soon .....

Ooooooooooh!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 08:22:50 AM »

Ooooooooooh!

Hurrah, God Save the Queen (Gaud Bless 'Er) :)

Sir Henry Bullshott- We were wondering where you were and what you were up to ;)