Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:36:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 560
Total: 560

Recent

Author Topic: Mallos Old World (WFB) & Oathmark Project Log  (Read 17416 times)

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
Re: Mallos Old World (WFB) & Oathmark Project Log
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2020, 11:33:01 AM »
Spent almost as long doing the basing as I did painting the elephant itself! But otherwise the war elephant is done and ready to crush goblins! I will probably go back and add some more details as I progress through the army though. Working on the infantry next, I think.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2020, 04:36:09 PM »
Getting through my Albion army slowly but surely. Champion complete, though I'd like to go back and add some blue woad to the whole unit when everything else is done. I'm just not brave enough to try it now, if I mess it up I'll loose the momentum in painting it!

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2020, 11:28:11 PM »
I try to avoid doing box pictures, as they can be kind of dull, but it's been like christmas come early today. A huge, huge box (About 200 new minis- not really helping me put a dent in the backlog!) of Oathmark figures from the recent nickstarter(ish) came in and then these showed up from Heresy Labs:

It's a specially created Luther mini for Mordheim, which was done as a celebration of the Mordheim facebook group hitting 10k members. The added art was a nice touch and the dice were included free and are of superb quality. All for a great price too, about a fiver per mini. Even with all the problems going on in the world and all the set backs they had, heresy labs really delivered. I'm not really a fan of resin, so its going to take me a while to work up the courage to start on this, but I am looking forward to getting him painted. He'll probably lead a unit in my oathmark forces, but we cancelled a winter game of Mordheim last year, so maybe its time to think about putting that back on with some new characters!

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2020, 01:47:28 AM »
Merry Junemass.  lol   
Nice work on your Albion army.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2020, 04:27:28 AM »
Looks like things are coming along well for you and your Albion army. I am looking forward to seeing those Oathmark minis painted.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2020, 06:57:57 PM »
Merry Junemass.  lol   
Nice work on your Albion army.
lol haha I think I will make Junemass my new tradition!
Thanks, I'm getting through it pretty quick for me- but I keep getting distracted by other units under the Albion banner!

Looks like things are coming along well for you and your Albion army. I am looking forward to seeing those Oathmark minis painted.

Thanks, yeah its coming along nicely, except I keep hopping between units, but eventually I'll have more finished than I don't, so I can push to get all those odds n ends done! The oathmark boxes are great but I might have been a bit over eager ordering so many at once, but at least they are not all technically for me! I'm painting armies that my small group can all use!

I got distracted from my main Albion force and started on another unit or two of allies. I've always wanted a halfling army but never really found a model range that I liked. There's quite a few nice models out there but not an armies worth, at least not to how I wanted them too look. I like the more classic look of hobbits but with a dash of humour, but the most common ranges go to far with them being rotund and comical. Mixed with my recent oathmark order I also grabbed a set of the Wargames Atlantic halflings. The set is fantastic. There is a couple of niggles with the set, but overall exactly what I was after. Murmurs of a Halfling calvary set on their facebook page makes me hope that a 2nd set will cover the minor issues I've got with the current set, but overall I'll be buying more boxes in the future!

I've put together some conversions for the the Heroes & command for two small units. Had to source parts from a lot of other kits. I've loved spending time converting these and will try to convert a lot more, though I like the basic models enough on its own to use them 'as is' as well! Going to have to fill a couple of gaps in the arms and hands once they are dry, but that won't take very long at all, the gaps are tiny.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2020, 08:52:53 PM »
I have a sprue of the Wargames Atlantic halflings... not sure when I will get to them but I like the look of the pieces. Nice kitbashing you have done there yet again!

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2020, 12:04:29 PM »
I have a sprue of the Wargames Atlantic halflings... not sure when I will get to them but I like the look of the pieces. Nice kitbashing you have done there yet again!

Thanks! I really enjoyed making these, I just need to find some inspiration now for the rest of the unit! Definitely a kit worth the time to build, they were a real joy!

I've found I've been really enjoying these more down-to-earth and more historical based kits recently, that I'm almost disappointed that my own collection isn't now more LotRs/dark fantasy based. I'd hate to loose the more black powder/arcane tech side of my hobby though, but almost wish that kits like these halflings had been more common in previous years. I'm in too deep with the more advanced timeline fantasy now, but there is some real charm to putting together things like the halfling & oathmark kits and from the historical ranges. They tend to be a lot easier & quicker to paint as well!

Just need some priming weather so I can prime the halflings and get some paint on them!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2020, 06:29:54 PM »
I do miss some of the steampunk and gunpowder stuff Myself but my wife is not a big fan of such.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2020, 12:28:07 AM »
Been busy painting a ton of 6mm stuff recently, but back to attempting to make a dent in the ever increasing oathmark lead mountain.

Starting to get much faster at knocking out batch painted humans. It's village of the dammed!

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2020, 09:00:53 AM »
The last goblin paint scheme that I tried I liked and as quick as it was to do, any corrections or mistakes were a pain to fix and I felt it didn't suit my usual painting style- They looked too different from my Albions and I wanted them to at least feel like they were part of the same world. The ink and wash style of painting is fantastic and had this been a single army project, it would have been a winner. But as I'm painting every oathmark army myself, I went back to trials.

I've tried about 8 different skins tones in the end, including the bright green style of my GW night goblins. It just didn't look right at all for these more menacing looking goblins.

But I think I've finally cracked a scheme that is somewhere between the Bright green and dingy grey and remains somewhat fast to do (I'm already pushing 300 goblins models incoming)

I stuck to the same leather colours as before, as to have a small 'scout' like archer unit- muddied and toughened leather from being out on the road. But for the main units, I'm likely to reverse the black and grey clothing and change the leather boots/hats to a different colour, as too allow me to use black & red as the main colours. I think the redish leather I've subbed in here for the bracers and belts goes well with the more orange tone of the boots, but I don't think the more orange leather works well with bright red.

I've just had in a huge order of basing materials, so I can go back and base up my last unit of Albion fanatics and then get these based too. I'm starting on my final thesis this week, so whilst I'm still on target for 'Paint at least one model a week for 2020', I'm not sure how much more of my Oathmark project I will realistically finish this year.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2020, 01:30:10 PM »
Since I've have no time to paint or build since college started back in September I've not touched my Albion project since the last update.But that hasn't stopped me partaking in retail therapy and I'm now the proud owner of a hell of a lot more miniatures, including a large chaos dwarf army, which I ordered for my birthday back at the start of the year and due to the pandemic only just arrived!

But with so much work on, I finally snapped over Christmas. I packed up the work and took a much needed evening off which included settling down in front of a horror movie and getting some hobby done. I didn't want to work on something that was already a project, as I was worried that I'd screw something up as I'm still under a lot of pressure to get my work done and with it niggling at the back of my mind I wanted something mindless that I could just sit back and glue together and if it was rubbish, least I'd had a couple hours of peace.

And so behold, the new horror:

Orc fanatics. I'm still carving down some more shields for them, I do hate it when companies sculpt arms on to shields! I've a few more spare bodies, then the unit will have to wait till I've brought and built a new unit of human fanatics for more left overs! I like them, they are pretty goofy. My misses is getting sick of all the awful puns that go along nicely with them though. I might even be brave and try out some sculpting on these chaps to give them a few more details, to really set them apart from their human counterparts.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2020, 01:03:24 PM »
Nice! I've been wondering how this victrix fanatics would scale with fantasy bits and you just answered for me. Thanks for posting.

Fwiw, I recommend scheduling a little time on a recurring basis to destring your mental bow so to speak. It'll make the incessant work more bearable.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2020, 05:30:15 PM »
I like the colors scheme on the goblins!

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2021, 03:34:00 PM »
Nice! I've been wondering how this victrix fanatics would scale with fantasy bits and you just answered for me. Thanks for posting.

Fwiw, I recommend scheduling a little time on a recurring basis to destring your mental bow so to speak. It'll make the incessant work more bearable.

Cheers! Yeah I do need to make more of an effort to set aside some time every week, last year got pretty bad by the end of the year.

I like the colors scheme on the goblins!

Thanks! I keep changing my mind on it but one day I will just pick a colour scheme for them and have at it!

I'm 'back' to college again this week, for the final time. But I took a couple of evenings out last week to mentally prepare for it and spent the time painting up another unit for my Oathmark humans, using more victrix kits for some heavy armour warriors. I actually batch painted the whole unit of 10 in one go, which wasn't very pleasant (Thankfully the Xfiles on in the background helps a lot!) but it was great to have the whole unit done and dusted at the same time! I can definitely go back and add more way more to them in the future but I need to start whittling down the huge backlog of projects on the go! The weeds still need a drybrush as they tend to look a bit flat without it, but they are still drying when this was taken.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 03:35:38 PM by Mallo »