Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:36:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mortis  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Mortis
« on: December 22, 2022, 06:45:49 AM »
 I found a good deal on a bunch of second-hand titans so snapped them up. 

They had already been assembled and some were partially painted.  As I've pretty much all I need for my current titanicus projects, I decided to use one of the Warlords to make a second Warlord for my Tiger Eyes, my main force, and use the rest to convert into zombie titans for the Siege of Terra events depicted in the novel Mortis.

I finished the first one today. 

The painting had been started on this Reaver and one of the Warlords as Astorum titans.  So, I decided to let them be and just finished up the painting after doing some damage conversion to it.

The fatal wound was to the titan's head.  A well-placed laser hit the titan there, killing the crew. 

Most of the damage was done with a pin vice and clippers.  I just chipped away pieces of armour and put weapon damage holes in various places.  I cut one of the fingers off of the power fist and added some tubing into it to make it look broken and distended and chewed another up with the clippers. 

The Gatling blaster had a couple of barrels clipped off and a hole put in the arm.

Obviously, as the Warp Runners are a brave and canny legio, there is no damage to the titan's rear.

For rules the titans will have some damage to them already, probably we'll roll a d3 to see how many locations are damaged and then roll them on the location dice and then have a chart to see how much damage there is.

None of the zombie titans will have shields and the weapon from the Warlord Sinister will kill them with one hit no matter what. 

When they die, their engine is already shut down so there will be a slightly different catastrophic damage chart 

I'm hoping to have a Warlord, two Warhounds and another Reaver added to the one above for when we finally get to play the game. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Re: Mortis
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 07:40:51 AM »
I finished another zombie titan and got a game in.  I'll post the pics from the game later.

This is another Reaver.  This time from the Nova Guard.  I like the color scheme.  Not enough to do a whole force of them, but for a one-off zombie titan for an amalgamated force, it was fun to paint. 

The left arm gatling blaster has become so damaged that it had to be secured with chains before being sent back into combat.  The weapon counts as a chainfist in play. I figure it still may be able to fire, just at a reduced rate and maybe only shoots as it smashes into an opponent. 

On the right side I gave him the laser blaster.  You can see where the natrix shock lance pierced the rear of the titan.  There is a hole in the front where he titan was finished off while shut down from this attack.

So far this has been a pretty fun project.  We used them in our first game tonight and I'll report on that tomorrow as well as posting pictures of the Warhound that was done too. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 07:55:17 PM »
Here is the third of my zombie Titans.

This one is from the Imperial Hunters and is, appropriately enough, a Warhound.  This titan went down after being holed in the flank after receiving three close range shots from a laser blaster. 

Hauled from the mud on Beta-Garmon III and infused with new life Inexpiabile Canem wages war on its former comrades on Terra itself. 

It is armed with a pretty standard pairing of the vulcan mega-bolter and the plasma blaster. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 05:30:50 PM »
We tried the rules for the zombie titans in a scenario similar to what I want to do for the Mortis game, except on a smaller table. 

We started with 1000 pts of traitor stuff against 1000 pts of loyalists.  The loyalists could then bring on 500 pts every turn and the traitors could bring on 3d6 x 100 pts of stuff each turn.

As expected the zombie titans didn't last long.  Without shields titans are pretty vulnerable and these already had damage on them on top of the lack of shields.

They shuffled forwards, fired the weapons they could and managed to bleed some shields from the one Warlord.

It wasn't long before the first one of them was down.  One round of shooting from a Reaver brought down the Solaria Warhound without it even firing a shot.

The two Reavers lasted until the second turn when a second Astorum reaver arrived and put the boots to one of the zombie reavers, shooting its head clean off.

The Astorum Warlord took out one of the Mortis Warhounds while the two Astorum Warhounds finished off the last of the zombie titans.  They didn't do much damage but it seems they drew enough fire. 

The Mortis warlord managed to take out the first Astorum Reaver, while the remaining Mortis Warhound ran up on the Astorum Warlord firing point blank with both plasma guns.  The Warlord died, firing wildly and then falling on top of its killer, crushing it, so that Warlord ultimately accounted for both Mortis warhounds.

After it arrived the second Astorum Warlord contributed almost nothing to the loyalist cause.  After knocking the shields from the Mortis Warlord it failed to connect with 5 of 6 shots from Volcano cannons and fell victim to a charge from traitor Atrapos knights. 

The Mortis Iconoclast arrived and charged straight across the battlefield, ignoring all incoming fire and only pausing to crush two loyalist knights that had charged it.

It made it to the enemy deployment zone, ripping a loyalist Reaver in half when it got there. 

Another loyalist reaver fell to the Mortis Warlord and with that the game was over.  The loyalists had lost about 1500 to 1000. 

Overall the zombie titans worked like they seem they should have worked.  They absorbed some hits, dealt out some damage but were not much of a threat overall.  We use a slightly different catastrophic damage table which allowed them to do more morale damage than physical damage on the higher rolls.  They still fell over and wild fired as other titans though.

It was a pretty fun game.  I'm going to take some time off from zombie titans now though as I prepare for Spring Necromunda league by building a bunch of terrain. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 03:51:22 AM »
I've managed to finish the Warlord titan for this set.  It took a while because it was the most heavily converted, plus Warlords are just big and I had other stuff to work on. 

Our rules for zombie titans don't allow them to push their engines.  Since it is required to do that to fire volcano cannons I decided to convert the volcano cannons to power fists.

The one fist just has a giant axe welded/chained to the cannon.  The other one is a massive flail.

This one is more rusted up than the others.  I wanted it to have been one of the first Warp Runners titans to have fallen during the Titandeath and just to have rusted out almost completely.  It has been dedicated to Khorne, more so because I had the bits than any other reason.  The close combat aspect did also play a part. 

These titans tend to get shot down pretty quickly, as they should.  It is just neat to have them there because I like the idea of the zombie titans and the horror they inspired in the loyalists.  My most regular opponent plays Legio Astorum and the person I bought the titans from painted them that way initially so that is why two of them are Warp Runners.

I have one more Warhound left from the batch I bought.  It is a Warhound so I'll have to decide which Legio to make it from.  I might do a War Griffons one because I have War Griffons. 

I'm almost finished with a Legio Furreans Warlord, but I think the next titan I'm going to start on is going to be my Warlord Sinister.