Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:19:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: working with resin?  (Read 761 times)

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
working with resin?
« on: July 09, 2019, 02:53:50 AM »
How do you glue resin building pieces together?  I washed them in warm water with soap, and then tried to glue them together, but it doesn't seem to work.  I am trying to use a bottle of LocTite Gel Control glue, but it doesn't seem to hold at all, am I using the wrong type of glue?  Am i just not waiting long enough?  There just seems to be no connection at all. 

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: working with resin?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 03:17:16 AM »
I just used Gorilla Super glue. If it is a larger piece then 5 minute epoxy stabilised with clamps or rubber bands should work.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 06:11:08 AM »
I stick with two-part epoxy, usually the five minute variety.  Resin to resin is plastic to plastic so you must use an appropriate glue (not familiar with the one you are using).  The usual way of bonding plastic to plastic is to actually affect the molecular structure so it stays together in chemical bond.  Thus both super glue and even epoxy are not going to provide permanent bonds.  But epoxy works pretty good within my experience.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 07:29:33 AM »
Don’t use gel superglue, use the thinner variety but make sure you know how the pieces are going to be positioned first.

Epoxy will work as well of course but personal experience leads me to say to only use it on large contact surfaces (couple of inches or bigger).

Resin to resin is plastic to plastic so you must use an appropriate glue

No, it really isn’t. With gluing plastic it’s best to use solvent based adhesives, this just wont work on resin.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 07:58:06 AM »
Roughen the glue surfaces up with sandpaper (this is what I do....).

DJ

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 08:46:31 AM »
As above, but I also use a super glue activator which ensures it sets in seconds.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 02:06:49 PM »
Resin is a type of plastic - though there are many types of plastic.  Wasn't sure how solvent glues would work on the normal hobby type resin products.  Which is why I use epoxy.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 04:26:43 PM »
I agree with many of the suggestions her like sanding the surfaces to roughen them up, using thin superglue vs gel and using two part epoxy resin on the big bits. Pinning as with metals also helps.  If the problem persists it could be a case of the resin not being fully cured (read poorly mixed and partially set) leaching some oils out of the surface.  In the past I have also had some success cleaning the surfaces with alcohol to get a good bond on parts that refuse to set properly. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com