Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:16:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Big little Napoleonics project - updated 5/3 Austrian light cavalry  (Read 12203 times)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
Re: Big little Napoleonics project
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2019, 03:31:15 AM »
Yes I know!

I'm planning 2 bases per base along with a command base as each base represents a brigade. I might cut some in half so I can represent some of the smaller units.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2019, 06:49:31 AM »
I've finished 2 French brigades and these are slightly different from my previous French as I have command bases in front, instead of Skirmishers.

I also painted all the pom-poms pink except for the Light and Grenadier companies.

I don't think the French would have had 2 flags like this but the effect is good.

And here's some spare command stands I modified and printed. I took the Epic infantry base and added a flag and then removed figures, using Tinkercad. The bases have been flocked as it is easier when they are not mounted, but edges will get finished once they are mounted on a proper base (like above).

For the rest of the bases I'll use use these on stands where the main battalions don't have a flag.

Cheers

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:52:35 AM by 6mmfan »

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2019, 02:37:24 AM »
The next set of bases I've finished is 4 bases of Austrian Napoleonic Grenadiers. The figures are the FMS “2 to 1” figures which with the taller pointy hats, suit the Austrian bearskin hats better. They look a little plain from the front with flags or skirmishers but i used a number of different colours on their bearskin hats, to represent the different parent regiments. Also I painted some with blue pants to show the Hungarian regiments.

Thanks for looking

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2019, 08:27:18 AM »
And another 2 bases of French Line infantry with Skirmishers. Hopefully soon I will switch to Cavalry and commanders as I almost have enough foot bases for a small game.

I still have a bit of mental block  on the cavalry though  :(

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »
The next batch of figures are complete - about 650 of them including white crossbelts!

Looking at French OOBs for Wagram and Aspern it seems that there was often a light brigade per corp (well at least for the Grande Armee rules).

So I painted 5 bases worth of Light infantry brigades.

The figures were given a medium blue watered down coat over a white undercoat. Next I painted the backpacks and then blacked out the heads. the next strep was to paint the face, gold shako plate and a green pom-pom, followed by touchups. However the figures looked very plain at this point, so I came up with the crazy idea to paint the white belts on the figures. I used a very fine brush and painted "X"s on the front of the figures in the front rank. This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and the figures looked much better.

Not the greatest photos but I hope you like them

Offline Forwardmarchstudio

• Librarian
Re: Big little Napoleonics project - updated 30/11
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2019, 10:34:10 PM »
These look awesome, as usual.

I created that same OOB from the Grande Armee scenario using little painted blocks for infantry and some of my earliest 3D printed models for everything else.  The scenario looks really impressive when it's completely set up.  The French are a single, huge blue wall.  The Austrians are spread out, but with a potential death blow hanging over the French left.   Very dramatic, even as a game.

I'm working my way through the Wagram OOB at the battalion level now - but I'm using my micro-scale figures, so it is a bit less work that it might sound like.  Doing these really detailed OOBs gives you a lot of knowledge about the armies before the game even begins.  Did you try any cavalry yet?

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2019, 10:52:41 PM »
I'm halfway through some Advanced Guard brigades for the Austrians. They will have a mix of Cavalry, Jaegers, Grenzers, and Line, so kind of yes.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2020, 11:12:12 AM »
Its been a while as its summer here and I was away on a long camping trip.

I've finally cracked my first batch of cavalry - 12 strips of French Dragoons (but only 5 in the photo)

Very happy with them and I even managed to paint the white crossbelts on the backs. Its hard to tell as I realised that the figures are shiny and haven't been given a matt varnish yet.

I found the best way when painting to avoid going over parts again, is to start by painting the horses and then the legs and body before moving onto the face and headgear.

The backs

Also I remembered to use my light box so the lighting is much more intense!

Next up some more heavys in the form of French Curassiers and Carabiners, and some buildings.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
Re: Big little Napoleonics project - updated 09/1
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2020, 10:33:05 AM »
Next up is a sample batch of 2mm buildings from the Forward March range. I found these hard to paint and the windows gave me a lot of grief, but they were early prints, so the quality was not so good.

Also I have to figure out how to model towns and cities and Zachs pictures of his cities are very inspiring.  I want to make them reasonable flexible but still have some of the smaller details like walls and hedges. I have lots 1.9mm plywood for bases I my initial thoughts are a mix of different shaped bases (that can interlock) with some features such as castle walls, bridges, rivers with lots of space to add buildings.

How do others model 2mm towns and cities?

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
Re: Big little Napoleonics project - updated 08/1 with cavalry
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2020, 08:08:25 AM »
I've printed out some of Forward March's Castle walls, towers and an entrance which I plan to use for towns and cities. These are great designs which will look amazing painted up.

I haven't figured how I want to base them with my current thoughts being to create semi modular city sections with walls that line up.

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2020, 07:53:36 PM »
Sort a cool! While 6mm is not my "cup o tea" since I like to paint the bigger figs I can see this as being great for lots of reasons, folks who are on a budget, people who have little storage space, or say the ability to do those "big battles" and have a much better visual/figure count on the field. Years and years ago I remember reading in on of the popular wargaming mags an article where a gentleman was describing doing almost the same concept with cut up ladies hair rollers! the type with all the little points or "nubs" sticking out, cutting them lengthways, then "just a few dabs of paint in the national color" and you have a cheap, fast, army! lol

Offline Forwardmarchstudio

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2020, 09:26:08 AM »
His name is 6mmfan, but the figures are actually 2mm:  www.forwardmarchstudios.com
I'm looking forward to seeing his terrain bases.

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2020, 07:39:46 AM »
His name is 6mmfan, but the figures are actually 2mm:  www.forwardmarchstudios.com
I'm looking forward to seeing his terrain bases.

Well that makes sense and I guess I should have known that but I guess the name fooled me! The "hair curler" armys were in fact 2mm as well!

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
    • baconfatblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2020, 01:08:11 AM »
I hate when it's obvious the painter didn't even attempt to paint the eyes!

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2020, 09:41:14 AM »
Yes they are 2mm although I like 6mm!

No eyes or moustaches i'm afraid

Back onto some buildings. This is my first batch of random FMS buildings and a few other ones I found on thingverse and resized. Every batch will have 1-2 colours to save time, and I went with light grey and yellow. The extreme closeups are not very flattering but from 2ft, they look great.