Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:04:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690914
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hicks Barons' Wars sculpts - kickstarter at post #100  (Read 28637 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Hicks Barons' Wars sculpts - kickstarter at post #100
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2019, 10:41:06 AM »
And it wouldn't take too much imagination to use them for the Third and Fourth Crusades, either.

My main interest in the range is using them for the Third Crusade; it would take a little bit of conversion work but there's no reason that with a little effort this range couldn't be mixed with the Perry (First) Crusade range with head swaps and conversions etc.

EDIT: They will mix well too as many of my older Claymore Castings fit brilliantly with my Perry HYW collection. Mix and match.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:50:54 AM by Atheling »

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2019, 11:35:25 AM »
Just to let everyone know all the figures have now been sculpted. So there will minimal fuss to get this KS to the backers, as long as we hit our goals!
Not long now!

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2019, 03:09:47 PM »
I will be in this one.... great looking sculpts!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2019, 07:37:59 PM »
I love these sculpts - Paul Hicks at his best - but know very little about the Medieval period.
I see references to their possible use for the Crusades/Crusader Kingdoms. Could somebody give me a brief bit of a background as to exactly which Crusade they are suitable for and also who would make suitable opponents for them.
I assume the Kickstarter is not gong to include Saracens or whatever. many thanks
Curassier

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2019, 10:03:46 PM »
I love these sculpts - Paul Hicks at his best - but know very little about the Medieval period.
I see references to their possible use for the Crusades/Crusader Kingdoms. Could somebody give me a brief bit of a background as to exactly which Crusade they are suitable for and also who would make suitable opponents for them.
I assume the Kickstarter is not gong to include Saracens or whatever. many thanks
Curassier

Actually, they are not intended for the Crusades, but for the 1st Baron's War. Succintly, it was a rebellion of English nobility against King John Lackland. The nobles got the Magna Carta from John, but that didn't end the war. King Phillip of France was involved and a French army disembarked in England, siding with the Barons. After John's death in 1216, his son Henry III, ascended to the English throne. Most of the Barons turned against the French and supported Henry. If memory serves me, I think that it was in 1217 (after defeats at Lincoln and at Winchelsea) the French suffered severe losses and were forced to ask for peace and leave England.

There are several conflicts that are contemporary with the 1st Baron's War. The better known are the Albigensian Crusade (1209-1229) and the Fourth Crusade (1204).

Hope it helps!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #125 on: September 12, 2019, 08:25:04 AM »
Actually, they are not intended for the Crusades, but for the 1st Baron's War. Succintly, it was a rebellion of English nobility against King John Lackland. The nobles got the Magna Carta from John, but that didn't end the war. King Phillip of France was involved and a French army disembarked in England, siding with the Barons. After John's death in 1216, his son Henry III, ascended to the English throne. Most of the Barons turned against the French and supported Henry. If memory serves me, I think that it was in 1217 (after defeats at Lincoln and at Winchelsea) the French suffered severe losses and were forced to ask for peace and leave England.

There are several conflicts that are contemporary with the 1st Baron's War. The better known are the Albigensian Crusade (1209-1229) and the Fourth Crusade (1204).

Hope it helps!

Agreed :)

This being the reason behind why I was talking about using the miniatures in order to convert and head swap some of the Perry First Crusade range into the Third. Some of the helmets on this Baron's War range are great for the higher nobility during the Third Crusade and with a little bit of imagination and effort much of the lesser men at arms and archers could be introduced in the same capacity too.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2019, 12:57:21 PM »

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2019, 08:24:03 AM »

Hope it helps!

There’s also John Lackland’s regular attempts to secure his French possessions inherited through Henry II - basically most of Western France - from 1200 until the battle of Bouvines. A sort of proto-100 years war.

Only 2 days to go :)
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2019, 08:39:36 AM »
A sort of proto-100 years war.

Very much so. A dynastic struggle for wealth, power and prestige vis a vis the HYW.

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2019, 10:40:46 PM »
Thanks guys !
Curassier

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2019, 09:20:46 PM »
Kickstarter is going live tomorrow 5pm! Will post a link when it’s live!

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2019, 12:36:19 AM »
Agreed :)

This being the reason behind why I was talking about using the miniatures in order to convert and head swap some of the Perry First Crusade range into the Third. Some of the helmets on this Baron's War range are great for the higher nobility during the Third Crusade and with a little bit of imagination and effort much of the lesser men at arms and archers could be introduced in the same capacity too.

Ah! I was scratching my head at your earlier comment, but I do think you're right about the helmets. I've grumbled repeatedly in the past that the typical gendarme in the Third or even Fourth crusade wouldn't have been surcoated.  This is going to be a gorgeous range for things between Bouvines and Lewes. I'm definitely backing, and I'll probably paint them to be continental.

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2019, 02:14:00 PM »

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2019, 05:51:34 PM »
Fzûnded within about 45 minutes - well done.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2019, 06:17:22 PM »
Well, I pledged... and the KS is going fast. It has taken just a few minutes to get funded and it has already past the 10,000 GBP threshold!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 06:27:27 PM by Antonio J Carrasco »