Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690929
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 93730 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Terrain updates and new tiny furniture 11/5
« Reply #195 on: November 05, 2019, 03:02:54 PM »
Great new post, that furniture is ace!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #196 on: November 05, 2019, 03:46:43 PM »
Some really great work, the furniture is fantastic! I really like the outer color of the buildings that orange color is a very good pick.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #197 on: November 06, 2019, 12:53:18 AM »
Fun and so colourful!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #198 on: November 06, 2019, 03:01:11 PM »
Thanks all. Fun and colorful is the name of the game. More Star Trek and less grim dark. The world has enough grim dark.

Today's terrain update brings along a bit of a back story.

This is a monument to the B.I.G. A.R.S.E., a failed experimental asteroid catcher that the mining operations deployed on Bakwotter early on. In fact, this particular B.A. was stationed out of Forbear.

So why the monument? Well, this B.I.G. A.R.S.E. (Bot Implementation, Gigantic, Asteroid Retrieval, Stoppage and Extraction; being the full development name) saved the town of Forbear, while sacrificing its own existence. Catching falling asteroids, it turns out, is a rather dumb idea. It works well enough for smaller objects, but for larger asteroids it isn't possible to stop the kinetic force no matter how big the tool.

So, one fine day this particular bot detected an asteroid entering the atmosphere which met all of the appropriate mineral profiles for a catch (no use in catching space gravel). The warning and operations sirens blared as the bot maneuvered into position, in the middle of Forbear. Citizens, unsure of what to expect, came out to observe a catch, as they usually happen further out in the surrounding lands. As the asteroid approached, an uneasy panic started to ripple across the crowds. Surely this space rock was far too big for the bot. Just about any being with at least two eyes (many had more) could see the truth of this. As the shadow of the mighty rock loomed over the town, many citizens braced for impact and made peace with their many deities and afterlife traditions. Many tense seconds passed and then a thunderous impact was heard. When the good people of Forbear looked up (maybe two dozen of them as it was very early in the mining efforts), all that was left of the B.A. was one leg. the attempt to catch the asteroid had deflected the path of travel just enough to send the asteroid (and most of the B.A.) several kilometers away from the town. The final impact did send up a monsterous plume of dirt and dust, but the end result was little more than a month of extra sweeping the dirt off of the roads and vehicles while the town was saved. Some of the more superstitious townsfolk saw this as a sign of future prosperity and doubled down on building and development in the area. After all, lightning never strikes the same place twice, right?

To this day the remaining leg, weathered and broken, remains as a reminder of the good fortune of the town.

So, I need to finish the planting beds (triangles) and actually get the leg glued down once I'm done with some of the detail paint. The leg itself is a mish-mash of cardboard, plastic trash bits, floral wire, granny grating, etc. The main overall structure of the leg and foot were actually leftover pieces from recently replacing my windshield wiper blades.

If there was one giant mining robot, that means there must be more, somewhere. More on that tomorrow  :D

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Terrain updates town monument and fluff 11/6
« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2019, 03:52:23 PM »
Nice town center piece, and yes if there is one for sure there could be more.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 03:54:11 PM by War Monkey »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2019, 04:04:35 PM »
Thanks, Monkey. Trying to flesh out the town a bit more before I get a game in. Intended to play this past weekend, but life saw fit to throw down a couple obstacles so I'm on a one-week delay, I think.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #201 on: November 06, 2019, 05:30:29 PM »
Great back story, I enjoyed that a lot!

Love that you have chosen the utopian, colourful direction!

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #202 on: November 07, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »
I think the bright colour really works well.  I kind of wish I hadn't gone with the grey/silver/black future look.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #203 on: November 07, 2019, 06:31:44 PM »
I think there is a place for all the various presentations of what the future might look like. That is the neat part of it, for me. You get all these great iterations of a broad theme (sci-fi).

So, since I posted about the B.A., I decided that there needed to be some other large mechs (and frankly, other ground transport). In keeping with the overall style of this project, I decided I would scratch build with interior playable space.

So, the leg build was accomplished with the same basic windshield wiper blade pieces. Then some build up of greblies/etc around to create a structure.

I've been trying to consider what a mining robot mike look like, at this size. I'm considering cutting away some portion of the wall to create an outdoors space with a crane lift. So maybe this thing would be responsible for cutting (big freaking laser) asteroids into pieces and then helping hoist the pieces (need some height for a vertical lift so a tall bipedal bot might make sense) onto something like a hover flatbed truck, or whatever.

So, I think I'll probably re-cut the walls so that it has that asymmetric exterior crane on the left side and then Perhaps an underslung laser in the front with some ground penetrating radar type sensor cluster in case one of those asteroids really lodges itself in the soil.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Giant mining robots 11/7
« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2019, 09:20:46 PM »
Got in a 5 Parsecs game over the weekend. As always, the full report is here:https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/post_apoc_wargames/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6176&p=97087#p97087

... well, part 1 is, at least.  ;)

Some highlights from the game:

Setup. Random deployment (2d4 where the first number is a tile and second is a sub quadrant of that tile) of 2 Points of interest and 2 salvage. No deployment conditions and no notable sights. Straightforward Find mission. Here is the table...

Deployment, as it seems to go, was not the near edge of the table, but the top edge. I think I've had maybe one game where deployment was in the intended spot? In this case it worked for the crew as they deployed in the same tile as both POIs. The action starts with everyone enjoying a meal at the EWIG. Tables were updated to have some little plates and food stuffs.

Action really kicks off when one of two contacts randomly moves out of the house (top left of picture) and sprints down the street. A second contact randomly moved off the map on stage left. We may never know who else was in that house, or why...

Note the B.I.G.A.R.S.E. park now has full planters. I haven't actually mounted the leg as I may use this as a park to hold an array of sights and monuments.

Today's cliffhanger ends with Bucket (top right) spotting the contact as Pink Pat and three of her goons. More to follow tomorrow!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Batrep part 1, 11/12
« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2019, 06:36:27 AM »
Nice set up and report, waiting to read the second half.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2019, 06:58:29 AM »
Looking good, looking really good!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2019, 10:20:30 PM »
Part 2, and the wrap up, can be found Here, on page 20 https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/post_apoc_wargames/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6176&p=97105#p97105

The highlights were a shootout with Pink Pat and her goons. P.P.'s forces had the drop on the crew of the Trou, but after a flurry of gunshots, only Mel was out of the fight. Bucket took his vengeance out on Pat, and through cover managed to lay her low. Bucket also took care of Blond in the next round. Ant and Decaf combined their fire to trap Blue and Beret in a lethal crossfire (Ant hit nothing, and Decaf mopped up from his position in the window.

One more contact was discovered on the table, but it resolved as "just noises" so the team went about their business gathering salvage. Take on the day was two credits and a lead. Mel was knocked out, but the shot that dropped him proved to be little more than a scratch.

With that out of the way, the crew set about to do some trading with the self aware vending machine, and other between mission tasks. Gained some XP, lost some money, found some more leads. Nothing really good or bad out of it.

What the crew did notice was that the citizens of Forbear were almost immediately out in the streets after the battle, yet they were well and clear before things began. Someone must have tipped them off to what was going down... but who?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 07:33:45 PM by CookAndrewB »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Batrep part 2 and wrap up, 11/13
« Reply #208 on: November 14, 2019, 07:41:31 PM »
Whoops, fixed the last picture.

So here are my wrap ups for the week. I'm off tomorrow doing some volunteer work.

New, low furniture. Used copy machine staples for the base. Hopefully the texture is interesting once painted up. All of these are 1cm or shorter.

Some work on my sci-fi bugs. The original Short Bug is in the middle. Short Grub is on the right (primed, maybe a bit hard to see), and the new Short Spider on the left. I'm going to work on casting replicas of both the grubs and spiders to flesh out a bug infestation.

This sculpt got a few more paint touches and I think it turned out well enough. He is going to be a Mr. Tentacle bodyguard.

The other bodyguard sculpt is ready for primer:

This actually shows the arm armor better than my other pictures.

And modifications to hide the cable attachments. I was pretty pleased with the big scope.

Next game will be back in space, which gives me a couple weeks to complete some more hull section builds/modifications.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Sculpts, paint, and more furniture 11/14
« Reply #209 on: November 14, 2019, 08:11:00 PM »
I've been having trouble posting in this thread.

If this works, all I wanna say is: lovely AAR and aftermath!