Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:50:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 93055 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Sculpts, paint, and more furniture 11/14
« Reply #210 on: November 14, 2019, 08:18:01 PM »
I've been having trouble posting in this thread.

If this works, all I wanna say is: lovely AAR and aftermath!

It worked, and thanks!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Sculpts, paint, and more furniture 11/14
« Reply #211 on: November 18, 2019, 04:42:10 PM »
Starting the week slow as I build towards the next mission. I'm hoping to see Mr. T completed for the upcoming game. Probably just as a stand-in figure for the wrap up bits (perhaps someone who dishes out a lead or a new contract?). I think I've decided that he needs a cigar to complete the look.

With his new fedora and fur cloak over his shoulders, I'm liking his galactic gangster look.

"I have a salvage contract you can't refuse" - Mr. Tentacles

This week will be an expansion of the starship dungeons as well as a new terrestrial piece for a dropship landing pad. Plus a couple new sculpts and some new enemies to stumble upon.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Sculpts update Mr. Tentacles 11/18
« Reply #212 on: November 18, 2019, 04:59:27 PM »
Some very nice sculping, can't wait to see them all painted up plus seeing your new furniture too.

In the mean time I have been working on a ship of my own Thank You for your inspiration, I'm hoping to start a new thread for it this coming weekend. I think I went a little over board on detailing it out, which is taking much longer for me to finish out.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:07:33 PM by War Monkey »
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2019, 06:30:10 PM »
Oooooh, more ships in the galaxy? Cool. I can't wait to see your take on things. Does this mean you are back from your travels?

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #214 on: November 19, 2019, 12:07:44 AM »
Yes I am back from my travels and I am really enjoying being home. I now have a chance to get some building done.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #215 on: November 19, 2019, 02:38:20 PM »
Well, If you are back, and building... I guess I need to stay ahead of the game.

Here is the new expansion to my options.

This would be the following: Engine room #2, Midships #3, Bridge #3, Nacelle set #1. Currently, only Midships #3 has the nacelle adaptation, but I'll probably throw in a midships #4 with a second option to take on nacelles as well.

The starboard nacelle has been greeblied up, but the port will have to wait its turn. Current design is pretty open to allow for these to be additional cargo/living/whatever space.

Added some interior details to bridge #3. On the right is the pilot house, and the left side is something like an observation deck. Perhaps a little difficult to visualize right now, but I have been thinking of it as a bridge for a luxury liner with the observation deck serving as a ballroom/reception area for wealthy travellers. Somewhere to come and watch the stars, or get a good look at a planet while in orbit.

The tubes are... I don't know. Tubes.  ??? Onboard a submarine there are a handful of tubes that aren't meant for torpedoes, but rather to jettison trash, or launch countermeasures. They are somewhat less grandiose than a torpedo tube, so perhaps these are more utilitarian means to jettison the leftovers from last night's party, or perhaps do the old "launch dead Spock from the tube" bit. Who knows, but there it is.  lol

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Nacelles for starships, 11/18
« Reply #216 on: November 19, 2019, 03:15:07 PM »
Very nice indeed, just how I had imagined they would have turned out, in earlier posts, Great Job!  :-*

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #217 on: November 19, 2019, 03:52:34 PM »
Very nice indeed, just how I had imagined they would have turned out, in earlier posts, Great Job!  :-*

Yeah, it was a nice addition. I just did the math on this addition: I believe the total dimensions on the above configuration are 18" wide by 24" long. Longest ship I can now build is 46" (all 3 midsections inline with the longest bridge/engine), and this is the widest I can build. Most ships are 10" wide, so the nacelles added 4" per side.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #218 on: November 20, 2019, 05:43:42 AM »
Very nice.

All of that makes for a great gaming area and could make for a longer gaming session  exploring old derelict ships of those sizes, I use an old dining room table for gaming on  I would love to game on something  of the sizes you could play on now! :-*

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2019, 03:02:50 PM »
Yes, I suppose it would lend itself to some larger scale games. I find the shorter games I've been playing (about 1 hour) to be most pleasing. Long games can feel like a grind, or I can struggle to find the time to play much longer than that. So while I COULD play a bigger game (never say never) I can't see it happening unless the wife goes away on a girls weekend and I'm left with a need to fill big chunks of time. Even then, I'd probably be more interested in 2-3 small games over one singular big one. Just how my brain works. Smaller games give new settings and progress an overall story arc, where a big game tells one story and potentially doesn't move the story around as much. Just my thoughts.  :)

Today's update is back to some sculpts, or reproduction efforts I suppose.

Started push molding my Short Spiders, et al. After some really bad initial casts with the Apoxie, I've hit a sweet spot where I feel pretty comfortable.

Short grub. You can see the eye detail much better on this.

Next is a new sculpt. I wanted some general animals roaming around. Grazing/herd animals. So the Turtigrade is my first shot at that. Part turtle, part tardigrade...

Clearly I think Every animal needs a nice shell  lol

And the back end...

I'm hoping to do a larger sculpt or two for some bigger animals to roam the plains. Right now I'm envisioning these turtigrades as something like a sheep or a pig, in terms of domesticated farm animals. It opens up some options for different scenery outside of the mining town (Forbear) and the wildlands themselves. Something like a homesteading family with a farm, or a trapping camp? Just trying to think about some alternate residences/settlements that would have been around about the time of the California gold rush. Eventually I would also like to get a Predator village with some kind of low/high tech mixed tents with lasers types of dwellings as well. Some corollary to Apache raiding parties. That is probably waaaaaay off in the future though.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new sculpts and press molding 11/20
« Reply #220 on: November 20, 2019, 05:40:32 PM »
What materials or product are you using to make those?

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #221 on: November 20, 2019, 10:22:16 PM »
What materials or product are you using to make those?

Not totally sure what you are referring to since I believe I referenced making:
farms - Probably the same style buildings I have been making, but perhaps with something that looks like a barn interior with feeding troughs and pens and "ground" rather than flooring.
more animals - Apoxie sculpt most likely. That or a mix of Apoxie and green stuff. 
tents (with lasers) - I have NO idea on this. My efforts to try and build tents in the past have been awful. Maybe I could try to make it more like a skin covered yurt? Then I could just cut pieces of paper/cloth in the shape of some animal skins and glue them around the outside of cut down TP tubes for the structure roundness? That feels most likely. Probably give it some kind of relatively flat roof.
some other alternative settlement types. Not sure yet. I have some smaller cardboard buildings without playable interiors that do well enough when just plopped on the table. I think I have three of these built and primed, so it would just be a matter of getting some finishing paint on them. Maybe that would be enough as a makeshift hunting/trapping camp of some sort.

I prefer to scratch build, and most of my building materials are just bits and bobs I find. I always want to like commercially available stuff, but nothing quite floats my boat once I have it in my hands. I'm always happier if I just build it myself.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #222 on: November 20, 2019, 11:07:24 PM »
My apologies, I was referring to the push moldings and to which materials you're using. 

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #223 on: November 21, 2019, 02:59:20 PM »
My apologies, I was referring to the push moldings and to which materials you're using.

... the one thing I didn't cover  lol

I use Oyumaru (blue stuff) that I buy off of Amazon. You can get away with buying a single box and remelting the stuff over and over to create new molds as necessary. For most things this is fine. For a few bucks more you can buy enough Oyumaru to create a table full of semi-permanent molds so that you can push mold up a mountain of epoxy items in a couple hours (I leave Apoxie to "mellow" for about 30-45 minutes before messing with it, and then about the same amount of time mashing it into molds with a plastic burnishing tool). Apoxie has a really long workable life, so I can whip up a ball the size of a golf ball and then push mold critters, terrain items, etc. Fill all my molds as I can and use whatever is left for a bit of sculpting. Go to bed and when I wake up I have a whole mess of new stuff to paint.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #224 on: November 21, 2019, 05:13:04 PM »
Andrew, love your work!

It's great watching whatever you do!