Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:04:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 92033 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Batrep and wrap up 12/3
« Reply #240 on: December 04, 2019, 09:46:37 PM »
So, I got to thinking about how my terrain tiles could lay out to create a town, but only visible in smaller increments, 2x2' at a time.

Anyway, the basic idea is this: In any four tiles, there are two T's, one straight, and one elbow. A four set can't have more than this, though I have blank and river tiles which could lend to some other iterations I suppose. Anyway, based on my last game in town, I'm going to keep a consistent map going. So any visit back to the EWIG should have the same plants, rocks, etc. If it works out well, I could almost play a game that spans dozens of tiles by shifting tiles like a side scrolling game. Some bit of plunking around has brought me to this as a basic 5x5' town design using the rules above. No more than 2x2' of it (always square) would be visible at any one time.

So I think my idea is to play some town based games across this pre-planned map, and then fill it in as I go. Obviously, moving one tile to the right frees up all of the terrain that drops off on the left, etc. So not only will the tiles move, but the terrain items will as well. Obviously, some terrain features are iconic and wouldn't move. The leg park won't show up as the leg, though the park piece could get a different plinth and statue. Likewise, any trip to the EWIG needs to be a trip to the top left corner. This will also help me figure out where certain terrain gets placed, as some things will be big enough to require an entire "blank" tile (landing zone, power plant, and the dropship refueling station are good examples).

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Town layout and mapping large areas 12/4
« Reply #241 on: December 04, 2019, 10:12:19 PM »
Lovely AAR and I like your ideas about the greater city area!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #242 on: December 04, 2019, 10:37:14 PM »
It's a great idea, as soon as I can and soon as I can get my game room back and it's not storage at the moment for remodeling rooms, I want to get some 2 inch foam board blue or pink which ever I want to do a tile system very much like CookAndrewB made and talking about here Plus what Ockman and myself made ourselfs keeping inline with the tile setup, I want to do this.

Sorry the picture is blurry but each square is 4x4 inches to represent 12x12 inch tiles, I would have to make more tiles and mount them on some 1/4 plywood to prevent warping, it will allow me room to make a river bed and have bridges.

Here another blurry pics as well with a different layout

Hope this give you more ideas for your terrain

P.S. I would use either pegs or magnets to hold the tiles together.

Doug
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #243 on: December 05, 2019, 06:53:17 AM »
Wow, really loving your new, large ship design, and all the furniture!

It looks superb, with lots of room for exploration, hiding, hauling cargo, and firefights.

Thanks for sharing your game report too.  Sounds like an interesting scenario, with more to come.  Looking forward to reading about those as well.

What rules are you using for your games.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #244 on: December 05, 2019, 02:32:46 PM »
Ockman - Glad you enjoyed the report, and hopefully you take away some potential for the "large city on four tiles" idea... or however many tiles there are. I have a total of 8 right now, but only four with roads.

Monkey - Are you going to build one tile for each 4x4 representation? From your drawing below you have seven unique tile types: Straight, T, four-way, elbow, straight river with bridge, river elbow, straight river. If you came up with two more unique tiles (or potentially two duplicates like a four-way and a T) you could get away with the crawling city idea but on a much grander scale at 3x3 vice 2x2. Or, you could do the 2x2 idea, but with more variation than mine.

Mako - I use the Five Parsecs rules from Nordic Weasel https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/226810/Five-Parsecs-From-Home. Specifically I use the Salvage Crew https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/231076/Five-Parsecs--Salvage-Crew?src=hottest_filtered add-on. Main mechanics are the same, but the mission types change. It fit better with my current storyline, but I own both (and Five Parsecs Gang Warfare, as that will be a different spin off).

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #245 on: December 05, 2019, 03:37:57 PM »
I haven't thought that far ahead as of yet, I'm still planning out a new gaming table that recesses down in, that will fit the tiles nicely in addition I can put a hard cover over it to keep the wife's cats from knocking thing down off the old dining table I'm using now.

I want to have enough tiles to cover a 4x4 foot table area or a 4x6 foot table area, plus I want to have enough river tiles to go the length of the table if needed and a little more for river bends.

I have to keep in mind that I want to make the tile work for my Sci-Fi games as well as my Zombie, Post Apocalyptic and Pulp games too. I don't want to have a bunch of different piles laying around when one really good set will do.   

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #246 on: December 05, 2019, 04:22:00 PM »
If you like post apoc, I think this is a great forum for it: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/post_apoc_wargames/index.php
The sub forum here is ok, but perhaps a bit watered down if you want to really geek out on the genre. Books, computer games, wargames, RPGs etc. Plus it is a great bunch of guys there  :D

Anywho, back to my regularly scheduled program:

The Dropship refueling station is painted up. Sans landing deck...

Much of the blue "ground" will get texture before I glue the top on properly. I just painted it as a bit of a placeholder for the time being.

With the landing deck it will look like this:

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Dropship refuelling station, painted 12/5
« Reply #247 on: December 05, 2019, 04:41:49 PM »
WOW!  :o

That really turned out GREAT!

I WANT ONE!  :-*

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #248 on: December 05, 2019, 05:25:04 PM »
WOW!  :o

That really turned out GREAT!

I WANT ONE!  :-*

You have all the tools to make one (box cutter, glue, ruler, tweezers)  ;). Just ask your wife to give you all of her empty christmas ribbon spools and you will have all the necessary components lol!

Also, this proves my point that a good coat of paint makes almost anything look good! It was certainly a weird mess before the paint went on.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #249 on: December 05, 2019, 08:45:43 PM »
Agree paint covers a whole lot of ugly.  lol

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #250 on: December 09, 2019, 09:09:12 PM »
I got another sculpt mostly finished. Here is the WIP so far.

So, I'm pretty happy with everything but the arms, which got away from me a little bit. I might have been better off just making them extra freakish/muscular, or whatever.

And since this figure is part of Mr T's retinue, here is a group shot so far.

For being a group of my own sculpts, I really couldn't be any more pleased with how these turned out.

I have plenty of updates for this week. I thought I might get in a game, but ended up not really having the time. It is sometimes easier to sit and paint for a bit than to get out terrain and get set up, etc. Such is life. This coming weekend is a game for sure! I have my next plot direction set, so I'll wrap up some terrain stuff and get the table set up for a Sunday game.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Newest sculpt painted 12/9
« Reply #251 on: December 09, 2019, 10:54:24 PM »
Nice crew you have going there and great paint work too!

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #252 on: December 10, 2019, 08:25:29 AM »
Looking brilliant! Terrain, at least for.me.is something I forget to invest in enough. Yours is looking great though, looking forward to seeing it all together.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #253 on: December 10, 2019, 03:27:15 PM »
Thanks, all. I have quite the opposite problem, Brummie. I love terrain and the figure painting can be a grind for me.

That said, I got some figure painting done!  lol

So the press molds for my bugs worked well. I introduce the painted up set of short bugs!

With all their beady red eyes staring at you...

A closer look at the grubs and beetles.

And then the beetles to spiders.

I think these critters need a flying form. I'll have to think about how to make that work. I'm tempted to skip wings and instead go with some kind of gas bladder to help them float about. Other "gas" powered forward propulsion  lol

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Space bugs painted 12/10
« Reply #254 on: December 11, 2019, 05:25:09 AM »
Nice Bugs! I can see them being a problem or pest to deal with, your crew might need to carry the big can of extra strength of "Big Bug B Gone" sold at a A.C.M.E Space Store near you!  lol