Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:26:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 92962 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New vehicle WIP 11/19
« Reply #585 on: December 07, 2020, 04:48:10 PM »
Yes, Happy could work just fine as some kind of 15mm combat robot.

Skully, Most of that isn't scupting. It is mostly bits glued together with a little green stuff around the joints to blend the bits. The gun arm, as an example, is a round piece of sprue that I clamped with a pair of pliers to change the shape and embed the lines. That is a trick I picked up from you! Missile tubes are sprue with a hole punch glued on the front and back as covers. The main body is PVC foam sheet that I whittled into shape.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New vehicle WIP 11/19
« Reply #586 on: December 07, 2020, 05:04:51 PM »
Maybe this will help envision the process a bit. This is my newest mech WIP. You can see the component parts a bit better this way. To get a feel for size, here it is next to The Can and Happy:

You can see the wood bead pieces, the sprue, the wire, and where I've sculpted on with Green Stuff

It is a little hard to see, but I used the same crimping with pliers on the ammo drum in the weapon above. Below you can see it on the left. The arm joints are beads as well. They just happened to fit into the round bead perfectly.

Below you can see how the feet are chopped up bits of hexagonal wood (bottom) with styrene half round (toe/heel) and the ankle joint is sprue with green stuff caps.

Under the green stuff hip joint (covered in Green Stuff) you can see a silver nail art embellishment over a blue wire. That blue wire runs through the barrel bead in the lower body all the way through the barrel beads in the lower legs and into the base through the sprue ankle. The top round bead is pinned all the way through the lower torso bead as well.

These are my robot faction builds. I wanted to keep them looking "borg" shaped for simplicity and to keep them alien to humanity. I don't suppose a computer would make a body for itself that looked like a human.

Again, these are largely built around wood beads. In this case it is a 15mm square. These would also work well for 15mm sci fi.

And a group shot.

I also made the assumption that a robot/computer would not favor weapons that used bullets or missiles. That is all very messy compared to simply having an imposing energy weapon projector in the form of a glowing red eye.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- some crossover 6mm/15mm robot builds 12/7
« Reply #587 on: December 07, 2020, 08:45:49 PM »
Nice work and great concepts too.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #588 on: December 07, 2020, 10:24:35 PM »
Thank you, sir!

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #589 on: December 08, 2020, 08:18:41 PM »
I like them Cook., simple yet effective.
Keep it up.
Thanks for sharing
Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #590 on: December 10, 2020, 09:23:29 PM »
I can’t wait to see the spool and beads fella all painted up.

Dan

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #591 on: December 23, 2020, 08:42:53 PM »
I've been mostly busy working on my 6mm terrain stuff but managed to get another sculpt painted up. This is another random hired gun. I haven't figured out any back story for him and I had no real plan for sculpting him to begin with. Mostly it was a test to see if I could sculpt a character squatting down ready to pounce.

I had started out with this idea for the sculpt that would make him sort of wasp-like, but then he got those big Deathclaw paws:

You can see the "wings" folded in the back before I added the shoulder gadget and pack on the back. I also covered the weird wasp butt with the fanny pack looking thing. Again, no real plan here. just trying to get in some sculpting practice.

While some of my test sculpts don't make it to the table, this fine fella will see some playing time. I also tried some new weapon building techniques which worked well enough.

I'm still working on getting my evil empire heavy troopers painted up, as well as sculpting up three new figures for this project, but I wanted to share a wee bit of the other things I've been up to as an excuse for why I've been so slow on this particular front:

I spent the better part of four weekends working on this terrain board for my 6mm project:

This is a 6mm version of my 28mm scale post apoc project, but I think this would work fine for something like epic scale Titanicus too.

I have also been trying my hand at sculpting 6mm figures. It probably helps that these are meant to be mutants  lol

Here they are next to their 28mm counterparts (and a normal 28mm figure for scale):

And here is my 28mm scale mutant faction as a whole. I just rarely post this kind of thing, but I think the tie-in between my 6mm and 28mm world has been interesting for me, and I think the green people with orange pants make little sense if you don't know that is how I paint my mutants :D

Thanks for letting me wander off the normal sci-fi track a wee bit. I'll be back after Xmas with some significant updates for this project, I hope.

Merry Christmas, y'all!

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New sculpt and a rabbit hole 12/23
« Reply #592 on: December 24, 2020, 09:23:39 AM »
Quite a nice bunch you have there, Cook.
Good job.

And all the best to all LAF'ers , may you have peace, health and plenty ....

Rem .... if life doesn't give you these, then you can always get more minis  ;) :D :D :D

Z

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #593 on: December 25, 2020, 08:54:39 PM »
Z:  “ may you have peace, health and plenty ....
Rem .... if life doesn't give you these, then you can always get more minis”

LOL!!!

Cook, amazing work once again.  You go and do what you do, in whatever scale you feel like, and only whenever you happen to feel like it.  ‘Cause if it feels like work, then you’re doing it wrong.  :)

Dan

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 03:16:10 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #594 on: December 28, 2020, 04:30:56 PM »
Thanks all!

Well, I welcomed a new toy into my household as a result of a very generous wife. I got a 3d printer, so that will add some new dimensions to my 2021 gaming projects.

The printer has yet to cough up anything I want, and only one successful print out of three serious attempts so far. Mostly I want this for producing vehicles, some scatter terrain, and greeblies for buildings. But first, I gotta get it working correctly lol

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #595 on: December 31, 2020, 05:28:43 PM »
I think this is my last offering of 2020. This is my remake of the gangster Pernicious Snark.

The original Snark was always accompanied by a team of "Rust Men" assassin bots. Original Snark is in the back and the rust men are the front three figures on the right. Snark's Made Man was the fella in the yellow.

So P.S. has undergone some serious work this time. He keeps his pink skin but gets a more mottled look about him.

He also gets a weaponized "Groin Defender 5000" to give him a dual purpose combat/birth control solution. He did get to keep the bluish coat, though now it is a cape of sorts.

It is a bit hard to see in the pictures, but he has cloven hooves and large gunmetal blue devices around his ankles. I suppose I was envisioning something a bit like the Cyber Demond hooves from Doom, though I didn't have a specific reason why. I liked the juxtaposition between his weird long froggy legs and the heavy hooves.

Despite getting "close" to having many other sculpts complete, I think that he will be the last of 2020. That also means that 2021 should start off fast and furious! With so many sculpts occupying my world, I think that the next item on my checklist is to break them into factions and update bases to identify who belongs on what team.

I've found a rule set that I like, and that gets me playing without a lot of fuss, so I'm hoping to get a few games in the books. I admittedly didn't get as much gaming in as I planned on, but that largely happened because I couldn't stop new projects from spilling out of my head. lol

Now that I've got most of that done, I'm hoping 2021 will strike a better balance of playing and making. I hope all of you have a safe and enjoyable end to your year, and I'll see everyone in 2021!

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Last sculpt of 2020 in the books
« Reply #596 on: January 01, 2021, 03:09:21 PM »
I love that “Pernicious Snark”!  He looks amazing.

Dan

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Last sculpt of 2020 in the books
« Reply #597 on: January 06, 2021, 07:08:48 PM »
The first sculpt of 2021 (he has been on the WIP table for a long time) is this fella. Some kind of sentient plant.

I envisioned that the suit itself is some sort of mechanized support rig and that the plant-being only occupies the top like a plant in a pot. A pot with mechanical legs...

Most of this just involved slapping putty at the frame until something made sense. The original plan was to make a much bulkier weapon, but after sculpting up the legs it didn't feel right.

That resulted in the weapon being held out and away from the body a bit more than I intended.

And I've finally made decent progress on my largest scratch-built mech for my 6mm project. Here it is waiting for some finishing touches on the paint job.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- First sculpt of 2021 & scratch built 6mm mech
« Reply #598 on: January 18, 2021, 08:38:36 PM »
I'm 95% complete with my scratch built, push-molded, evil empire troops.

I'm done with the heavy weapons troops:

The APC transport:

And the group shot of the entire force as it currently stands:

I do have one more figure that I'm working on, which will serve as an emissary. You know, the "On behalf of the mighty and most supreme ruler, we declare these lands to be ours and you are trespassing. You have, oh... three minutes to vacate before we start shooting. Any blood spilled on our land will incur an additional fine to be used towards cleaning up the land that you made a mess of. Your family shall have, um.... four additional minutes to deliver cash or make a galactic credit deposit to the most patient and magnanimous emperor or they will be shot. As to who will pay for THAT cleanup, ohhhhhhh, you do NOT want to test us" sort of emissary. He should be done soon enough.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
I haven't posted any updates in a while, so here is a brief catch-up on some of my work.

My main crew (originally for 5-Parsecs), from left to right: Decaf, Vaq (back row), Bucket, Super Salad (back row), and Bubba.

The main adversarial crew, Pink Pat's Plunder. Inc. From left to right: Gurn, Glom (back row), Pink Pat herself, Wirm (back row), Omega, and Ant (back row)

A mining crew from MinCo. From left to right: Sha'Vel, Jakha-Mer (back row), H.A.M. (back row), K'Lah, Trillion (back row), and Buh'Nee

I am currently wrapping up a six-man starship crew which should be ready to post in 1-2 weeks.

There is a lot more to show, so I'll trickle the rest out over the coming days and weeks.