Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:32:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690722
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 93483 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- galactic civilians part-1 6/28
« Reply #630 on: June 28, 2021, 07:50:33 PM »
Nice work there.  I've been playing around with some sculpting too, and it's not as easy as you make it look.  :)

I'm not sure that practicing is improving my sculpting, but it is starting to turn into a style all its own. It has been rather handy for creating my own little world. I don't have to hunt for a particular figure or proxy, I can just sit and (attempt to) make it  ;)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #631 on: June 29, 2021, 07:26:43 PM »
Lovely work, Andrew!

They look really nice!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #632 on: June 29, 2021, 07:50:14 PM »
Lovely work, Andrew!

They look really nice!

Gracias, sir! When are we going to see your hobby production pick back up?

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #633 on: July 01, 2021, 06:57:06 PM »
Gracias, sir! When are we going to see your hobby production pick back up?

Well, now I've started my five week summer vacation, so when I find some peace of mind, I might paint or build something!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #634 on: July 19, 2021, 06:24:27 PM »
I've been working on some 3d files for my starship dungeon crawl. I'm hoping to release the files later this year so that anyone wishing to play along at home may do so.

In the meantime, something more conventional:

The OOPS, or On-site Orbital Placement System allows rapid set up of structures and living quarters as needed for a number of business ventures. In this case, the OOPS is a "MY-BAD" (Mining, Year-long, Base, and Domicile). This allows mining companies to insert a mining camp with full self-sustainability for up to one year. OOPS doesn't claim that "one year" will actually work out to one full revolution on whatever planet you find yourself on. It just sounded catchy and full legal disclosures make sure that there is no liability for starving miners or wasted food. You pay for what you get but your mileage may vary.

Unit 1:

Unit 1 is a standard gear and supplies locker. Units are dropped in their order of importance as elected by a focus group with no mining, or other relevant, experience. OOPS feels this helps them "think outside the box" and helps keep them in a legally defensible position as they crowdsourced the answers for many of their decisions. You might think that dropping tools first is a good idea, much as the crowd did. However, the first OOPS dropped is typically the furthest from the target area as they use this as a Range and Utility Finding Utility Check. Follow-on drops are likely to be 75% more precise. 

Unit 2 is a standard MESS (Meal, Excrement, Shower, and Sleep) unit. The interior of the space folds configures, contorts, and otherwise poorly adapts to a particular function depending on the time of day. Again, this sounds like an efficient use of space until you realize that the space can't be both a toilet and a bedroom at the same time, however certain design flaws allow it to feed people while showering. In order to change functionality, all living beings must exit the space or risk being folded, compressed, or bisected during configuration operations. OOPS is proud to report a  recent monthly (not guaranteed to be an actual month on any inhabited planet) decrease in folding incidents! They regret to inform users that there is now a 19% increase in accidental cross-connections of the Shower and Excrement functions, with a 50/50 chance that toilets may produce soapy water and showers may... well, it is only a 50% chance. No need to dwell on the small things. 

More OOPS modules as they drop  :D

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Orbital drop buildings 7/19
« Reply #635 on: July 19, 2021, 07:50:40 PM »
Loving your new civilians! Do I spot Dr. Zoidberg?  :-*

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #636 on: July 19, 2021, 07:57:16 PM »
Loving your new civilians! Do I spot Dr. Zoidberg?  :-*

No, no you do not. That is Hymie Toothman, a dentist. Not similar at all  ;)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #637 on: July 20, 2021, 05:01:08 AM »
Nice looking minis, alien vegetation, and buildings.

I was experimenting with Photoshop on some alien camo schemes too, and here's one I came up with (if I can get the image to post). I think it matches very nicely with your alien plants.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 05:03:02 AM by Mako »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #638 on: July 20, 2021, 02:38:48 PM »
Nice looking minis, alien vegetation, and buildings.

I was experimenting with Photoshop on some alien camo schemes too, and here's one I came up with (if I can get the image to post). I think it matches very nicely with your alien plants.

Mako,

Yeah, that would be effective camo in my world! Interestingly enough it is also similar to some upcoming alien buildings that I'm working on.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #639 on: July 20, 2021, 04:51:12 PM »
And now, the rest of the OOPS MY-BAD units.

Unit 3 is the primary consumable supplies container. It has a built-in refrigeration and freezer function, which also means it can double as a morgue in case of a fatal folding or bisection incident in Unit 2. Food stores are contained in vacuum-sealed, frozen, blocks. In order to make them edible, they must be inserted into the appropriate device in Unit 2 at least two hours before mealtime. This allows the meal to reheat thoroughly, regain proper viscosity, and flow properly through the pressurized food nozzle without clogging. Miners are discouraged from placing coworkers into the meal prep device as reheating of most life forms can cause the machine to emit a caustic slurry that will void the warranty.

Unit 4 is an all-in-one atmosphere purifier, pressurizer, heater, cooler, and deodorizer. When properly rigged to Unit 2 and 3 (using tools from Unit 1), it creates a comfortable living environment for at least 38% of all life forms, though not all at the same time. It provides ample pressure for dispensing thawed food-like sludge and heats or cools liquids for showering/using the toilet depending on the proper alignment of valves. Lastly, it filters 78.3% of known mind-controlling pathogens.

Lastly, a group shot of a Min-Co mining operation in full swing.

At some point, I may make up some "stowed" versions of these buildings with the atmosphere entry shielding in place. They would really just be used as cargo on my starships but would tie things together for me.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Orbital drop buildings part 2 - 7/20
« Reply #640 on: July 26, 2021, 06:54:04 PM »
The first two huts for my First Nation alien village.

As with everything else on my planet, I wanted the colors to be bright. In this case, since my native alien race grew up on the planet, the homes match the natural environment.

I wanted the huts to look like they were native soil turned into a wattle and daub style wall with paints made from native plants.

The green building is the original 3d file without any manipulation or alteration. The pink building is my first of several remixes on the theme. Next up will be a larger chieftain's hut once I get it printed and painted up.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- native residences 7/26
« Reply #641 on: July 27, 2021, 09:27:21 PM »
A sculpting and terrain update. This time for my restaurant, the EWIG.

I added tables and plated food... stuff. Plenty of space for figures to belly up!

And the kitchen got some improvements. Little green stuff pans for the cooktop, some glop on the griddle, etc.
http://leadadventureforum.com/gallery/52/15049-270721154943.jpeg

And the new sculpts are Xizt the Platyseptapus (right), and Horge the living bread (left)

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Restaurant updates and new owner 7/27
« Reply #642 on: July 29, 2021, 04:34:05 PM »
Your figures and terrain and bits are absolutely beautiful. Wonderfully imaginative and creative. Wish I had your skills!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #643 on: July 29, 2021, 06:55:14 PM »
I've seen your battle reports, Bret. You aren't lacking in creativity!

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #644 on: July 30, 2021, 11:53:51 AM »
Hey, thanks, buddy! I was more referring to your sculpting, building, and painting ability. You have a strong vision and are able to bring your considerable talents together to realize it. You've made Bakwotter a very  vivid place!