Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:35:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 92067 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Restaurant updates and new owner 7/27
« Reply #645 on: July 30, 2021, 01:42:00 PM »
For a little, nowhere, out-of-the-way place it sure has character!  lol

I've finished up my starship crew.

Additions are:
1) On the Far left is the ship's science officer, Pharog (Green, four eyes). A jumpy alien whose species evolved from the bottom of the food chain and has high anxiety as a result of viewing every unexpected thing as the potential to be eaten. This has saved fellow crew members from countless "egg sack investigation" mishaps and playing "drink the unidentified fluid seeping out of cargo hold 7" against strict company regulations forbidding this game.
2) Back row left is Shelli, an ensign in the bridge crew hoping to have his own deep space freighter one day. While he looks a bit like a space hermit crab, the item on his back is a rather large Scot strap contraption to hold his genitalia out of harm's way. He frequently makes off-handed comments about how he believes it may be too small despite being an XXL.
3) Back row middle is Captain Browl. A very capable ship's captain and decorated veteran of the Freighternity (fraternal order of freighter captains). He's a bit past his prime at this point, but the Freighternity can't stomach the idea of taking his license so they have relegated him to a quiet little route on the edges of the galaxy.
4) Front row center is V1-LN-Y, who is the robot security counterpoint to S.C.U.M. (directly to his left). V1 is the night watchman for the ship and has been given a very non-specific  "New York Wiseguy" personality upgrade. Since it is just a robot, you would have to imagine any conversation to be more like talking to your GPS with a voice modification than speaking to a thinking being. Still, the crew has noticed that SCUM and V1LNY have acted oddly when they believe nobody is looking. They might be up to something.  :-I

Six new sculpts have been started. These will include:
1) Mel the former member of my protagonist crew who was injured in a game and unable to continue adventuring. Mel's family is from a farm homestead on Bakwotter, and he is delightfully unaware of how creepy it sounds when he talks about his "sexy cousins." In retirement, Mel has purchased Munch & Motor, a drive-thru restaurant and direct competitor to the EWIG.
2) Shelba Lynn, Mel's cousin and (possibly?) love interest. She is also the only other employee of Munch & Motor.
3) The Bishop of Bakwotter will run a church (not built yet) and oversee the spiritual health of Bakwotter's citizens. He also works at the Bakwotter Medical Center and Exorcism Lounge. WIP build seen here:

The exorcism lounge is in the back left corner and will get some candles and a salt pentagram soon.
4) A Bakwotter First Nation member who has taken a shine to the new settlers' ways. This will mostly be a BFN with a baseball cap, I think.
5) Two new alien residents whose jobs and backstories will evolve as I sculpt more.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- more sculpts and characters 7/30
« Reply #646 on: August 08, 2021, 07:17:56 PM »
Great stuff, Andrew! Love your work!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #647 on: August 09, 2021, 08:58:03 PM »
Great stuff, Andrew! Love your work!

Thank you kindly, sir. Good to see you are still kicking around. Do we have a countdown until you are back in full swing for hobby time?

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #648 on: August 09, 2021, 09:11:59 PM »
Excellent interiors and alien civvies as always!  :D

Like the games table on the right!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #649 on: August 09, 2021, 09:30:46 PM »
Excellent interiors and alien civvies as always!  :D

Like the games table on the right!

Thanks, Brummie. I should have another 3-4 civilians getting painted tonight, and I've been working on some new starship dungeon projects. I started designing my own tiles and inserts in TinkerCad. So here is an example of a starship computer bank design (3hr rough estimate print time FDM):

Test print painted up:

And now I'm moving on to a small ship design which should be done printing and painted up by the end of the week.

This ship is roughly 1' long and 4" wide.

I have churned out about two dozen computer and living space inserts based on a handful of common pieces like lockers, beds, drawers, etc. I'm also through three full engine room designs (the above being the economy/commuter version), and about ten 100mm tiles, including some with external turret mounts that rotate. Much more to follow where all of this is concerned, but this is the direction my starship dungeons are headed. Eventually, this tileset will also let me build ships with height as well.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #650 on: August 10, 2021, 07:02:43 AM »
Thank you kindly, sir. Good to see you are still kicking around. Do we have a countdown until you are back in full swing for hobby time?

Right about now it feels as if I will never have any hobby time again, but hopefully I will find some time, sometime.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Starship 3d design project
« Reply #651 on: August 10, 2021, 08:31:59 AM »
Cook those are slick  :o

Really need to try some of this CAD stuff, I've never been technically creative but it's just too tempting not to try!

Sorry to hear your strapped for time Ock   :( hope things settle down soonish!

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #652 on: August 10, 2021, 06:12:25 PM »
Wow, I have been kinda snobby about printed stuff (mostly because of the lines), but that is a really nicely-done project. Looking forward to that printed starship. Looks like you might have designed it to be modular length-wise, so you can stick in a few more compartments later?

Great colors and painting, as usual!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #653 on: August 10, 2021, 07:38:55 PM »
There are some print lines. Always will be with FDM printing. But, the bad (admittedly offensive) print lines are usually indicators of poor print resolution. That is someone trying to print quickly rather than someone trying to print with good detail. The 100mmx100mm tiles shown are printed so that something as small as 1/4mm thick detail is crisp and layers are printed at .125mm, so there are some lines, but there are eight of them per vertical mm, so they aren't awful. For each tile, it takes about 11-12 hours to print. For the computer consoles you saw, It prints in roughly three hours. I printed four more console sets last night, ranging from 20mm wide to 50mm wide, and that took about four hours. They came out very clean, so I'm looking forward to getting them painted up for my project.

My first bridge prototype didn't look right, so I whipped up a main viewscreen to add to the interior.

Since all of the individual elements are able to be grouped, moved around, or disassembled like Lego, I can virtually prototype and design pretty quickly. Like this:

Basically, I've created a ton of smaller objects that I can plugin. So after a little bit of tinkering, it is easy to create completely new builds quickly. I have pages of saved bits like this:

On a larger scale, you can see how the tiles go together to make larger ships.

You have seen a couple of these pieces printed out. The external weapon mount tile can be seen with a mock-up load out. So, with these building blocks (and more) you can start to work up larger ships with weapons bays, a variety of engines, etc. This mock-up is my next print project, by the way. It will have a different bridge though. So that is a bit less than 1' square. You could imagine something like the inside of a flying saucer, or creating a configuration that would look like the Enterprise, or a Star Destroyer, or the Galactica. It would take a while to print, but it is all in the works!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #654 on: August 14, 2021, 07:03:03 AM »
Excellent.

It is interesting to hear how you design them.

Thanks.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #655 on: August 25, 2021, 09:29:23 PM »
I finished up several new sculpts this week. First up is Sgt. Slotter. The inspiration was something like "What happens when a Genestealer gets mashed up with Cotton Hill's shins getting blown off on Guadalcanal." I know, that is pretty odd, but it explains the odd stumpy prosthetic robo-gams. 

Lucky for him, he still has one good arm!

This character is just an oddball civilian about town. A veteran of the 4-N wars that has moved to the area to live out his life in relative peace.

On the 3d design front, I worked up an airlock room.

Because an airlock room probably isn't used for anything else, I'll most likely glue lockers and benches to give it a feeling of being used to get geared up for spacewalks.

On the design front, I'm working on a third bridge style, a third 1x1 engine room, and a second "wing" style engine. Wing engines mostly just mean that they are placed R/L on the ship rather than being centerline. A 1x1 engine room fits inside a standard 100x100mm tile space. This, for example:

A wing version then gets configured like this so that it is broken into two parts:

Since wing engines don't have to potentially fit between two other tiles, they won't always fit within the standard tile size. They may extend beyond 100mm externally to the rear or outboard. The above wing tiles don't extend beyond, but the next wing set most likely will.

Currently, it is too hot to print larger pieces so I'm just working on printing scatter items.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Starship 3d design and sculpt 8/25
« Reply #656 on: August 26, 2021, 06:35:54 AM »
really nice project
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #657 on: August 26, 2021, 12:12:00 PM »
Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with Battlestations form Gorilla Games?

https://gorillaboardgames.com/product-category/battlestations/

Their spaceship designs (which are all modular rooms linked together in various layouts) might be worth a look just as inspiration.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #658 on: August 26, 2021, 01:27:17 PM »
Thanks, Tom. Coming from you that is high praise indeed!

Rich, I've never seen that game before. The tiles are mostly in the ballpark for what I'm going for, though that level of detail may be hard for my beginner skills lol. The game has a look and feel that I really appreciate, and the figures are awesome! Not the standard brooding space elves or orcs, but something very alien. Really awesome, and a lot of good inspiration there.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #659 on: August 26, 2021, 03:49:35 PM »
Well, the first basic ship is all done. Composed of an engine room, a bridge, and a crew section this little ship is a typical in-system workhorse.

The engine room:

To ease printing, the engine controls are printed separately from the room itself, but the thrusters are printed in place. This will also allow for a different engine control component to be used for customization.

The middle section is a T-configuration. This leaves one wall open for drop-in inserts. A locker and lounge area:

A sensor suite or tech station:

Or crew beds:

All of these are 90mm inserts, and I have these same components in different configurations for 20mm, 30mm, 40mm, and 50mm sections so they fit into shorter wall sections such as the engine room angled walls. Or use your own scatter. The room is basically a blank canvas.

This is Bridge 1.0. A simple but rugged design. The computer equipment here has been designed specifically for this space, and prints as a single set.

Doors are printed separately as well, and so far I have two designs. A simple bulkhead with no control and the door with a simple control box (seen above)

My next ship builds will start to come fast and furious now that I have many of the basic pieces made. Hopefully I'll have the next ship ready for display in a week or so.