Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:38:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689749
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 93116 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New sculpts, Salesman and his pack animal 10/6
« Reply #720 on: October 08, 2021, 08:03:46 PM »
Glad everyone is still enjoying my madness!  lol Strap in for two more new sculpts!

This is Birbulux, a retired exotic dancer:

Think "Magic Mike" and you have an idea what kind of moves this fella can lay down. Of course, exotic dancing on his planet might be a little confusing for a human. His people find gargling Aldorian raptor egg whites (which are not white but dark brown) while flipping a hubcap-sized coin with his thumb quite erotic. This explains his well "hung" right hand and the brace that he is now forced to wear as the result of one too many coin-related mishaps.

Birbulux still has quite the reputation as a sex symbol, even if he has retired from the game. When he struts his stuff all the women in town swoon.

Next up is TiVeen. It hails from an odd race of sentient flora. Well, sentient flora aren't all that odd. There are roughly 913 species of them that have developed space travel. No, what is odd about TiVeen's people is that he can accurately perceive every person's reality as they see it.

If you think you are the world's best poet, TiVeen can see the world where you write the world's best poetry. Have a delusion where Tonya from accounting has the hots for you? TiVeen can see a world where she does... for real! While some of this results in obvious absurdity on the part of TiVeen's reactions to folks, this can also be quite helpful. For instance, if you think you are playing the most beautiful love song that anyone has ever heard, TiVeen hears that song and may be able to help get the real "imagined" version down on paper for you. Of course, if you believe you are 12' tall and covered in pink scales, there is probably little that TiVeen's people can do for you if you are really just a 4' tall green furball.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New sculpts, 10/8
« Reply #721 on: October 08, 2021, 09:03:24 PM »
TiVeen evokes fond childhood memories of an old Andre Norton kid's book called Day of the Ness, which had some aliens with sort-of-TV-screen faces.  Never had the guts to re-read that one, I'm afraid it won't live up to my fuzzy recollections as an adult. 

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #722 on: October 08, 2021, 09:19:29 PM »
TiVeen evokes fond childhood memories of an old Andre Norton kid's book called Day of the Ness, which had some aliens with sort-of-TV-screen faces.  Never had the guts to re-read that one, I'm afraid it won't live up to my fuzzy recollections as an adult.

Some of those nostalgic books and shows don't have the polish that we imagined as a kid, but they still have magic!

That book looks pretty cool, actually!

EDIT: I think I had that haircut as a lad lol

« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 09:21:39 PM by CookAndrewB »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #723 on: October 11, 2021, 04:34:16 PM »
Some more printed terrain tests. These inserts can be used to subdivide a 100mmx100mm room into two smaller rooms or gives some cover for gaming purposes.

I threw this together as a locker room with benches...

And staterooms with beds, cabinets, and a computer terminal for crew logs and tearful deep-space communications moments before your ship explodes.

And our two stowaway children hiding:
http://leadadventureforum.com/gallery/52/15049-111021152044.jpeg

This week starts the printing of my larger 200x100 tiles. I need to wrap up design work on my 200x100mm starship bridge computers, and I'm hoping to knock that out today.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #724 on: October 11, 2021, 05:00:40 PM »
Some of those nostalgic books and shows don't have the polish that we imagined as a kid, but they still have magic!

That book looks pretty cool, actually!

True, and it is Andre Norton.  I've revisited her other work a few times and it held up well for me even after all these years.  Just afraid it may be a little too juvenile for me - I think I read it in 3rd grade or thereabouts - although I've certainly enjoyed re-reading other stuff from my early youth, Tom Swift Junior and Heinlein and Asimov's juvey stuff.  Getting too old to enjoy kid's books for what they are is probably a bad sign. 

The artwork sure sticks with me, even if the plot's become a little hazy.  That one with Susie the cat standing on a Gotcha in particular.  :)

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #725 on: October 11, 2021, 07:15:34 PM »
What a great idea! The room divider is a very clever idea. Great job on the paint work too! Kids they are always into trouble, aren't they. 
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #726 on: October 12, 2021, 09:38:34 PM »
Next terrain bits are painted up! The two galley configurations (90mm straight and 38mm square), and a simple seating area.

The 90mm galley:

The 38mm square galley, refrigerator/washer side:

Sink/oven side (the sink bits came off on this print. That may have been an issue with how the sink was placed against the wall):
http://leadadventureforum.com/gallery/52/15049-121021191406.jpeg

These 38mm terrain squares fit into the 40mm floor square with a little wiggle room to spare. This is another way to break up the larger room space and still allows for some set dressing against the walls while allowing maneuvering room for figures.

Looking into the room:

Some new pieces tomorrow!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- more set dressing 10/12
« Reply #727 on: October 14, 2021, 10:42:17 PM »
A couple of quick updates on finished print projects:

The nacelle design printed up well, and I'm going to move forward with a second design. Any suggestions?

These are pretty "Trekkie" in shape. I don't mind that, but I'd also like some more variety as well.

I'm getting more and more floor tiles painted up now. Larger ships are just around the corner! Of course, I am working on some suitably large engines for the larger ships. They will be designed similarly to the nacelles and allow for engine placement outside of the small engine room configurations I've made.

Larger ships also mean larger weapons. This was the first test of a capital ship weapon. Torpedo tubes!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- painted prints 10/14
« Reply #728 on: October 15, 2021, 10:17:05 PM »
Bi-Polar Express is now painted up!

Rear view:

And a comparison shot with the Ockman Shuttle:

This may have come out a bit small, but it is deceiving because of the way it carries the interior space laterally. I'm going to use this style of build as a basis for some upcoming ships for my mining company.

Here is the next Ockman Shuttle variant. This is the law enforcement version, the Long Arm.

The front has a reinforced ramming bumper, an added light bar, and the rear cabin is wider to act as a mobile jail to transport criminals. If all else fails it also has wingtip mounted beam projectors.

The final upgrade is a set of upgraded pursuit engines.

The Long arm is 90mm long, 80mm wide, and 23mm tall. That is 5mm wider and 7.5mm shorter than the basic shuttle.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- space tug painted and another new design 10/15
« Reply #729 on: October 16, 2021, 07:51:21 PM »
Those are great! My first thought of the when I saw the law enforcement one was if you flip it around it could make for a very cool water surface vehicle or even a submersible vessel! Hey, there can be underwater facilities of colonies that are harvesting sea live or underwater mining operations.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #730 on: October 19, 2021, 04:55:21 PM »
Something else printed! The Aggressor "Night Witch."

I really need to come up with a good back story for this ship, but for now, it is just the bearer of bad tidings. A known, if not mythical, ship that portends the arrival of a deadly assassin... or bounty hunter? That is part of the mystery. Everyone can agree that bad stuff follows this ship, but they can't agree on what, exactly, the ominous arrival will result in. Death of a political leader? The capture of a wealthy heiress? The theft of a priceless artifact? Only time and rumors will tell.

And a comparison shot next the the original shuttle:

I've been working on more sculpts and plugging away at the starship tiles. I think things are going to come together in a pretty dramatic way later in the month!

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #731 on: October 19, 2021, 07:59:19 PM »
Those are very nice designs Cook.
WM is right ... they could be made into hydrofoils also
With some mods..

Thanks for sharing
Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #732 on: October 27, 2021, 10:37:54 PM »
I should have a bevy of new sculpts to show soon but for now some more 3d print designs. This is another mining craft I'm calling the Walrus:

It will be a crew hauler for my miners.

This is a WIP mobile landing pad design for my planetside adventures. The light grey section is going to become the new basis for my town. Buildings will simply fit some standardized mobile pads and the town will be based on that. So, a mobile town. Pretty handy on a planet that frequently gets asteroid strikes. I'm going to test print this sucker over the next week (each layer is about 9 hours so three days of printing) and then start playing around with some shops, houses, etc. I don't know that I'll design every structure in layers like this, but it would make it easy enough to design some taller buildings.

And lastly, I'm working on converting some of my starship tiles to fleet-scale ships. I haven't fully settled on a scale or size yet, and I'm going to do some test prints soon to see what works. These are currently 1/10th of my 15mm project scale, or 1.5mm.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
I’m in awe!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
I’m in awe!

Thanks. I'm crazy delinquent getting pictures of painted stuff, but when it finally happens I have a LOT to show for my efforts. The landing pad vehicle turned out much better than I anticipated, and all painted up it really looks the part.