Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:51:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689499
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 93024 times)

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Great design ideas! Hope to see them on the table soon.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Good job. That crew hauler came out great Cook.

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Andrew

What figures are you planning on sculpting next?  And how do you go about picking the body types of your sculpting subjects?

Dan

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Andrew

What figures are you planning on sculpting next?  And how do you go about picking the body types of your sculpting subjects?

Dan

I have maybe 10-12 figures currently being sculpted. A couple finished that I'll get posted up here soon (promise). Two will be a pair of law enforcement officers to go with the law enforcement ship I made (also to get posted soon). One quadruped will join in with one of my existing factions, but I need to break them out and see who is a man short. I've also got a couple of new bots in the works, and the rest are going to be civilians of some sort.

As for how I pick body types, I mostly try to make every character unique. I figure that I have a galaxy full of weird aliens to draw from, so I don't bother trying to make everyone fit a particular mold. I mostly just add epoxy until something starts to take hold, and then I tease out the specifics. Stream of consciousness sculpting!  :D

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Spent some time this weekend converting my 15mm ship designs down to fleet scale.

Before I got too carried away, I wanted to make sure that my plans would work. So I test printed a couple of different pieces in 1.5mm scale (1/10th reduction of the 15mm ship), 1.875mm (1/10th +25%), and 2.25mm (1/10th+50%). Just like Goldilocks, I thought the 1.875mm scale gave the best mix of size and utility. I can see the ships, paint them, and on a larger scale, the ships won't become unprintable due to their size.

I also had just a bit of filament left on a spool and decided to knock out a second shuttle.

This is still a WIP, but it is worth demonstrating just how convenient it is to stock a spaceport with a good 3d printer.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Ok, on with the sculpting. First up is T'mee's dad, D'on.

I felt that T'mee needed a parental figure, being one of my precocious child duo. Someone has to ground him when he hacks farmer Xorp's Techno-cows to produce rootbeer. D'on is also the proprietor of D'on's Deals, the local general store. Of course, "local" is relevant as the store itself will be built on the mobile platform base.

This is an Angel Grub:

This odd creature has a lifecycle measured in centuries and is the pupal state of a large spacefaring creature most commonly known as an Angel. Quite beautiful to behold, the Angel sparkles and glows in a similar fashion to a comet when it approaches solar winds. This is quite literally the scales of the wings being shed, which does no damage to the massive creature. In its terrestrial form, the grub is an absolute menace. Capable of digesting any organic matter, it feeds similar to a worm. Cruising beneath the surface, filtering out the digestible material. Occasionally it surfaces when it senses more nutrient-dense meals are nearby. This often means caravans, herds of native species, and smaller towns. Larger towns usually keep the grubs at bay by way of pollution which makes the earth around the town taste terrible. Because Angels are considered rare, and hold spiritual significance in many galactic cultures, killing them is considered "less-than-legal" (though not illegal) and bad karma. They aren't protected, but you will find very few species in the galaxy that will take on the task.

How big is the grub? Plenty big. Big enough to swallow most adults whole, and several kids at once. That doesn't deter T'mee from engaging in a game he likes to call "grub slapping." The goal is simple enough. Slap the grub without getting slapped by the grub. T'mee is the current champion of his one-kid grub slapping league.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New sculpt and a big space grub 11/9
« Reply #741 on: November 10, 2021, 05:07:49 PM »
Nice work and back story too! Building up your space shuttles will make for a very busy spaceport. I can see where the challenge is for the kids. However I wonder how many have missed their step and fell in?  lol

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #742 on: November 10, 2021, 05:57:35 PM »
Thanks, Monkey. I'm not sure T'mee has convinced anyone else to join him in his bad decision making.  lol

This is a new dockyard worker.

He was an experiment with adding more arms to a humanoid. I think he turned out pretty well, but it isn't easy to add extra arms. I ended up basically making them grow out of his neck.

He also happens to be the driver of Mobile Landing Pad 1 (MLP-1), which isn't quite done, but close enough for pictures.

And a shot with a landed craft.

So I think the plan is to maybe do one more mobile pad, and then a couple of landing chocks with a smaller footprint. I'm up to six ships right now, and I've got two more in the works. So I'd like to have enough landing berths for the local fleet. But that probably means that not everyone will have enough money to pay for the mobile pad.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #743 on: November 10, 2021, 06:21:36 PM »
Angel grubs is what they cell 'em in your neck of the woods, eh?  We got other names for that sort of thing.  Real pain to get out of the garden.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #744 on: November 10, 2021, 10:06:03 PM »
Hate to see what those turn into, Rich! lol

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #745 on: November 11, 2021, 01:57:17 AM »
Hate to see what those turn into, Rich! lol

Huh? Trouble, I'm going to guess.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #746 on: November 16, 2021, 08:45:09 AM »
Those blue bunny guys rock!

Dan

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #747 on: November 19, 2021, 06:34:15 PM »
Those blue bunny guys rock!

Dan

Thanks, Dan!

I'm going to be working on some new pictures this weekend. Should have a couple more sculpts done, and some newly finished ship projects to show. Here are the two most recent prints all painted up. The Long Arm:

And the Trou:

In the design arena, the Long Arm will be joined by the CHIPS (Common High-speed Intercept and Patrol Ship) which is a small, single-person, law enforcement craft that is usually deployed in pairs. Perfect for those who desire to wear mirrored sunglasses and ask "Ma'am, do you know why I pulled you over today?"

I'm also working on beefing up my Mining fleet. Far left is the tug, the back is the Walrus, and the front is the CART (Crew Rescue and Assistance Team). This acts as the mining fleet's patrol craft/evac vehicle just in case a mine shaft collapses or the miners are attacked by raiders.

Lastly, I like the Mining Tug, but it wasn't vicious enough to look like a raiding ship, so I redesigned it into the New (maybe final answer?) Bi-Polar Express, seen in dark orange.

Lastly, in the world of fleet scale ships, I'm making some progress:

I just had three new ships come off the printer on Wednesday, and I'll start working on getting them painted up. In the meantime, I'm going to do a series of photos to show the fleet scale and full-sized ships side-by-side.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New ship designs and fleet scale work 11/19
« Reply #748 on: November 19, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »
Those are coming out really well! Really great detail for the scale on a filament 3D printer. Only add to the desire of me wanting one! Right now every time it seems that I have to money saved up for one, something comes up that needs to be addressed.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New ship designs and fleet scale work 11/19
« Reply #749 on: November 19, 2021, 07:21:13 PM »
Those are coming out really well! Really great detail for the scale on a filament 3D printer. Only add to the desire of me wanting one! Right now every time it seems that I have to money saved up for one, something comes up that needs to be addressed.

Just to be clear, the fleet scale ships are printed on my resin printer, not FDM. The larger ships are FDM though. More cost-effective that way.