Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:05:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 93567 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - Space dungeon expanded and backdrop 9/9
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2019, 08:26:24 PM »
You are right , it is bulbous.

It helps that it is supposed to be an alien head  lol

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2019, 08:39:40 PM »
You mean like a psyker with a over developed brain?
Then you seem to be on the right track.  ;)

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2019, 08:41:51 PM »
You mean like a psyker with a over developed brain?
Then you seem to be on the right track.  ;)

Z

Mmmmm, yes... I'm positive that was what I was aiming for  ;D

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2019, 10:02:42 PM »
 lol lol lol
I believe you ... putty has a mind of its own
Those 3 sculpts I just posted were not planned
Like that, they just "developed' into something else  :D..
Still if one likes the end result....

Z

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2019, 03:34:20 AM »
The ships are turning out great, since  you started this I have had the graph paper out and been going to town on ideas for different ship sections, I even came up with an idea for a narrow section like a hall that is the width of The ship, that will allow me to attach an additional section or sections to the left and/or right of the ship for additional cargo pods. If I only add one pod then the other side can be used as an airlock.

The greens are turning out really nice, I too am in favor or the turtle snake octopus  thingy.

Really good work all around!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2019, 03:25:29 PM »
Monkey, I have been planning something that would allow me to join sections laterally as well. Frankly, I think that whole scenario will be pretty quickly resolved by way of the space station build, as it would have a central hub with four exit points. That would allow me to whip out a couple side runners for the ships. Those could be rows of rooms, like a passenger ship, or take the place of shuttle bays (a la Battlestar Galactica), or even engine nacelles like in Star Trek.

The space station build will be a central hub with four spokes. Spokes could be shops, bar/restaurant, shuttle bays, or something like a local garrison/law enforcement office. Lots of options there. I doubt I'll run out of ideas any time soon lol

I built the third bridge section last night, and the second engine room has all its outer hull, plus some inner walls now. I believe the second engine room will have removable engine mechanisms, rather than the built in pieces in the first engine room. The engine pieces will likely be much bigger as well. Perhaps FTL drives vs something like a sublight system in the first engine room. Or maybe just bigger engines. I have some thoughts on long distance travel, for the game universe, which doesn't really need/demand FTL capability. So something like an FTL drive, or a near light speed drive might be an antique rather than a step forward.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2019, 04:06:17 PM »
Cook! Get out of my head, I have been working on a space station idea myself, based on an octagon  pattern, were  I can put them in a row or fairly  much any pattern you like, using a junction  box to make additional connections, the idea can also work well for on planets, drilling site, mining and refinery, research  and testing lab, a colony I have thought if one was going to colonize planets the octagon shape would work really well as prefabricated  builds that could be laid out and refitted  I in pretty much any pattern you needed.

So there's  an idea run with it, oh and the octagon are 12x12  baseline, basically  covering  a 12x12  inch area, giving one lots of room for about anything.

Is the foundation  of you builds somewhat based on one inch squares as it appears in the photos, or is on another  dimension?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 04:56:19 PM by War Monkey »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2019, 04:46:03 PM »
Is the foundation  of you builds somewhat based on one inch squares as it appears in the photos, or is on another  dimension?

1" squares, which are nominally about 25mm, so it works on both fronts for me. Wall height is 15mm, foam core is about 5mm. The pieces of foam board I bought just happen to be 8x10", so that has been my standard-ish size for pieces of ships. There is some variation, but nothing bigger. Openings between hull pieces are 4", or roughly 10cm.

My space station hub would probably be 8x8" and house something like a control center. Like the ships, each piece would likely look a bit different.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2019, 06:47:20 PM »
Thank You, for the clarification. I really  appreciate  it.

I could reduce the size of the octagons  a little, this would allow for more space on the table.

The idea of different shapes of spokes, I guess you would call them, sounds like a great idea! I can't  wait to see your results.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2019, 09:34:50 PM »
New battle report (full details)here, page 10:   https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/post_apoc_wargames/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6176&p=96246#p96246

This one got ugly fast, but all's well that ends well. In the AAR, this goes down as a failed ambush by Pink Pat and her scruffy scavenger team.

This is the field of play:

First contact is point blank:

The resulting firefight takes two turns and must have looked like a stormtrooper battle with all the missed shots! In the end, the crew of the Trou loses Ant and vanquishes Pink Pat and four of her minions.

No further than across the river, and second contact is made. A smaller reserve force of Pink Pat's men. Unfortunately for them, the loss of their leader left them distracted and without much heart in the fight.

The dropship Trou, loaded with the mission's bounty and ready for their next adventure. The new question being... who set them up? The crew overturned a new mission, so the campaign round 3 will take place in two weeks. Now time to build furiously for the next mission!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - planetside batrep recap 9/10
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2019, 10:41:02 PM »
Thanks, that was a great report!

Is that using the "Five Parsecs  from Home" rules? I don't  have those rules if it is, they seem to play out well, I understand  there for solo gaming correct?

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2019, 10:52:38 PM »
Is that using the "Five Parsecs  from Home" rules? I don't  have those rules if it is, they seem to play out well, I understand  there for solo gaming correct?

Yes, those are the Five Parsecs Salvage Team rules. These play out the running of a business with some debt management between games. I have the "From Home" rules, but From Home is more straightforward combat. Maybe more like Star Wars in its story arc? The first mission of Salvage Team rolled up no combat, but that would be less likely in From Home. This mission had two fights back to back, which is low odds, but clearly it happens! I like the randomness and all of the between mission details. There is also a Five Parsecs gang wars rule set, which leans more towards Necromunda style gangs. Obviously the plot elements change a bit depending on what rule set you are playing, but the overall mechanics are pretty much the same.

Sadly, my FLGS only runs WH40k games and any attempt to convince them that there is more out there falls on deaf ears.  ::)

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2019, 11:31:14 AM »
Great batrep, Andrew - and your terrain really pops!  :o

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2019, 03:28:50 PM »
I understand wanting to mix things up in you group, it adds more fun, and everyone says naaa. I live in a small farming town and no one around even plays, it's  like the kid with all the cool stuff to play with and you live in a old folks community neighborhood.

I have many rules but no solo rules, so I popped  over to Drive Thru RPG  and checked out the "Five Parsecs" stuff they have a bundle deal so I dropped  it into my wishlist so I can down load it later when I get home.

In the mean time my head is flood with terrain ideas, and figures as well from Blue Moon Minis, Khurasan minis, Rebel Minis and the list goes on only because the is a lot  of figures that I see that have character, and you need extra figs on the table, what if you were in a running  gun battle on the streets those missed shoots have to go somewhere, maybe they hit a local crime  bosses girlfriend, or his best friend who has been with me since  they were kids, who knows

Have you thought  about  some ship to ship boarding action, hijacking or piracy?

Anyhow I'm glad I came across this thread, I can't  wait to get home.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 03:32:34 PM by War Monkey »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2019, 04:09:36 PM »
Skully - Thanks! The post apoc stuff is all about the grime and rust, so I thought I would go more Star Trek with the look and feel of my sci fi world. I don't need more grim dark in my life  ;)

Monkey - Yeah, I play D&D at the FLGS now and again, but that is about it. Beyond that my miniature gaming is all solo. The Five Parsecs rules have really worked well for my particular style of play. I like fluff and plot, but I also don't like hiding my own Easter Eggs. So the random bits of "between mission" events really work for me. It is almost like an improv class at that point. I tell a story, my part ends and then the game mechanics say "but then one of your characters gets ripped off by a street vendor, you have an unexpected bill, and another character overhears some gossip that leads to a new mission." I'm left with the task of figuring out how that relates to what just happened in my story and what happens next. Oddly, I think I like the challenge of that about as much as I like the terrain building.

For what is is worth, I went back and bought more of the Five Parsecs modules after I bought Salvage Team. I liked the idea that the plot could move between the sub-genres presented (business tycoon in Salvage, galactic explorer in From Home, and gritty street thug in Gang Warfare). On top of that there are some additional modules that allow more customization with how characters level up, the ability for characters to tinker with and create (or break) weapons, etc. It is as deep or as straight forward as you want.