Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:22:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 93370 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Scatter and new ship design WIP 3/14
« Reply #825 on: April 18, 2022, 10:20:22 PM »
Well, once I'm done with the design I'll stick it on Thingiverse for anyone to pick up. I'm not interested in earning money from my hobby efforts. Once it is complete I'll let you know.

You could pretty easily print it off of a service, or just find someone willing to run their machine for a bit. The cost of materials is negligible. I think my FLGS has a few printers that they would probably "rent" for a while if someone asked nicely. If you look around, I am guessing you can find a very affordable resource nearby.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #826 on: April 24, 2022, 06:41:54 AM »
This is one of the few times I wish I had access to a 3D printer.

Dan

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #827 on: April 29, 2022, 03:20:13 PM »
Many sculpt updates and some fluff, because I love fluff.

This is a Flyg:

Flygs are an odd mix of insect and amphibian. While not quite an intelligent species, they are sentient and clever. Adult Flygs have no mouth and ingest only Flyg hatchlings through a series of small nostrils. Hatchlings buzz about like gnats after spawning off of an adult through a series of reproductive blisters found under a flyg's wings. An adult Flyg, by itself, is a mystery of science as it reproduces in order to eat, and its mass is only retained by ingesting mass that was removed from its body through spawning. In a closed system, a Flyg is fully self-sustaining and seems to defy conservation of mass and thermodynamics. In the wild, Flygs may grow by ingesting the hatchlings of other Flygs, thus increasing their mass, or they may shrink by having some of their own mass digested by another Flyg. Because some hatchlings may escape, most lone Flygs are slowly shrinking away until they may eventually be so small as to be ingested by a hatchling themselves. Hatchlings are not all the same size at birth, and they do start to consume their clutch-mates right away. Across the galaxy, the total Flyg biomass has not changed in many millions of years, and nobody seems to know how this cycle got started. There just seem to have always been Flygs around, in roughly the same state of development as they are currently in.

Flygs seem to have no agenda outside of possibly trying to ingest the Flyg mass of another Flyg. Nobody is sure whether this is done out of simple self-preservation, or spite. Some Flygs have been seen to equally share hatchlings, or freely give up hatchlings to another Flyg. Again, nobody is quite certain why as Flygs don't breed or have friends in any way that other species can relate to. Flygs occasionally have currency through the performance of some minor task such as being paid for bringing recyclables to a molecular disassembly center, or by standing by a rocket bike to ensure that it is not stolen or ticketed by parking enforcement. In these times a Flyg may then end up at a starport with money, and may point to a ship, and may board it, and may end up elsewhere, but nobody knows why.

This Flyg has ended up on Bakwotter, though nobody remembers when it got there. It just seems to sit around bursting hatchling blisters and sucking them up without a care in the world.

Next up is the ever cheery Ms. Blimb, the colony's schoolmarm.

If you are going to take up teaching, it helps to have multiple sets of eyes so you can keep an eye on the class while you write on the laser board.

Blimb comes from an odd race of feathered amphibians. Her plumage can be seen here, and when she gets emotional the plumage raises a bit like a webbed peacock tail.

Despite having wide, flat, webbed feet like a frog, Blimb is a slave to fashion and chooses to smash her feet into sleek, red, heeled shoes because it makes her feel powerful... and it keeps her feet from making a wet slapping sound as she walks around the school.

This is a Bullfight-O-tron. Brave souls would step into the ring to try and shut him down by waving a red anti-static sheet and prodding him with a special dongle on a stick. Bullfight-O-tron (BOT for short) would then have the honor of goring his tormentors with his plasma horns. Whether BOT was too good at goring, or too easy to shut down, we may never know. In the end, BOT was put out to pasture on Bakwotter. He now serves as a livestock guard on one of the outskirt farms.

BOT has an AI software system, even if it does skew a bit aggressive in the face of red anti-static sheets. It can interact with other lifeforms rather peacefully, and perhaps it even seeks to turn over a new leaf and cast off its programmed aggression in search of a more peaceful life tending livestock. After all, have you ever seen a space cow or galactic sheep wave a red anti-static sheet around? No. No, you have not. 

This one is an aging combat robot named Sticks.

There really isn't anything fancy about Sticks. He served his 2000-year enlistment in some long-forgotten army, for a civilization that may no longer exist. While he is quite capable of being lethal in combat, he prefers to study new languages and is planning to lobby for his protocol droid license once he learns another 214,756 languages to reach the 6-million language standard set by the Galactic Protocol Droid Guild.

In order to ease shipping, Sticks can fold itself into a very small, but heavy, cube shape.

Here is the full robo-citizen group. Two star-freighter security droids, and Sticks on the left. I'm thinking I may repaint the security droids in the silver with purple highlights as I like that basic metallic look for the bots.

In the center is the town street sweeper bot left of Bullfight-O-Tron. In the back right is the self-aware vending machine, and another bot that I don't think I've shown before. The second red bot is a Bill Robinson Institute child companion bot, or they go by the slang name "Brick". You know, the kind of bot that hangs out with your kid because they don't have any friends and you can't be bothered to be an involved parent. If your child's best friend is a robot, they probably have a Brick.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New sculpts 4/29
« Reply #828 on: May 01, 2022, 11:22:37 AM »
A wonderfully eclectic community of organics and non-organics. Ms Blimb may need more than a few extra eyes to manage whatever offspring might venture forth.

In other news,
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 05:14:43 PM by Idle Doodler »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New sculpts 4/29
« Reply #829 on: May 02, 2022, 08:51:54 PM »
You may have noticed that I rarely do furry creatures in my sculpting. I'm going to try and right that injustice over the rest of the year. I counted up six more "civilian" slots available in my storage drawer, so I'm going to work on a variety of civilian and mercenary with fur.

This is my first test subject, Ludo:

Ludo is a mercenary, hailing from an ice planet several light-years from the Bakwotter system. Because his system, Popsiclon, and Bakwotter are relatively close neighbors it makes sense for Ludo to start his budding migrant worker career by taking a short transport hop over to Bakwotter. Like Bakwotter, Popsiclon is also relatively uninhabited and the governmental systems are rudimentary. Their number one export is a particularly ingenious type of space heater. The number two export is ice for various galactic cocktails, as it is neon green in color and has a naturally occurring bitter flavor. Both are the result of a colony of single-celled sentient life forms. Attempts to grow the colonies elsewhere have resulted in the proposed host planet being sued by the abducted colony under galactic slavery laws. Oddly, lawsuits to stop the process of being eaten have been far less successful. Largely because those bringing suits seem to be consumed, and without the plaintiffs' testimony the suits are dropped.

Ludo carries a rudimentary ice musket, which creates ammunition by rapidly condensing and freezing available moisture in one part of the weapon while rapidly heating and expanding the same moisture in other parts of the gun to create an explosive expansion which then drives the frozen rounds at high velocity. In drier climates, the weapon may take a while to reliably produce sustainable ammunition. In wet/humid climates this weapon can be devastating as its output ramps up with higher levels of humidity. In a pinch, spit, urine, or water from a canteen can make the weapon operable for a time.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New sculpt 5/2
« Reply #830 on: May 05, 2022, 07:09:32 AM »
Wow, I really like that Flyg!

Dan

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #831 on: May 10, 2022, 11:57:49 AM »
Lovely stuff, Andrew!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #832 on: May 10, 2022, 02:03:11 PM »
Lovely stuff, Andrew!

Thank you, Ock. How are things in your world?

Dan, that Flyg was a very long time in sculpting. It took me much longer than normal to work my way around the different leg positions.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #833 on: May 11, 2022, 05:20:50 AM »
Nice new sculps, I always enjoy the colors you use!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #834 on: May 11, 2022, 02:28:33 PM »
Nice new sculps, I always enjoy the colors you use!

Thanks, Monkey. I've stalled a bit on moving my next set of sculpts to the finished stage. I've had my hands full painting up some large terrain pieces that finished printing. That, and my weekends have been oddly busy lately. I think I'm far more productive through the winter.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #835 on: May 12, 2022, 04:06:53 PM »
Well, I'm looking forwards to seeing those large terrain pieces!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #836 on: May 12, 2022, 04:24:49 PM »
Well, I'm looking forwards to seeing those large terrain pieces!

You can view them AND download them to print: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=136556.0

They would scale down quite well, and I suppose that finding a ruined building is just as likely in the distant future as it is today.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #837 on: May 13, 2022, 08:52:47 AM »
Thank you, Ock. How are things in your world?

Dan, that Flyg was a very long time in sculpting. It took me much longer than normal to work my way around the different leg positions.

I'm moving in less than a month, so no time for hobbies! Otherwise it is all good (except for me not hobbying since november)!

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #838 on: June 10, 2022, 09:39:22 PM »
After a second look I now think that Ms Blimb looks awesome.  Simple facial details, but they work so well in making her look alien enough.

Dan

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #839 on: June 10, 2022, 10:09:24 PM »
After a second look I now think that Ms Blimb looks awesome.  Simple facial details, but they work so well in making her look alien enough.

Dan

Thanks, Dan.

Despite my general lack of posting anything here, I do have a number of things in the works. Mostly terrain. As I'm having some work done on my house, all my hobby stuff is mashed into a corner and isn't immediately accessible right now. Give it a couple more weeks and I think the flood gates will open and I'll have much more to show.