Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:42:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 92073 times)

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - planetside batrep recap 9/10
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2019, 02:38:46 PM »
I love how the roll of the dice leads you through a game. Now and then I like putting  an idea or an Easter  Egg out there like pirating a ship, that's all, I still have to crack  the egg open to see what's  inside (Que Music) dunt, dunt, duunnnnnn!  :o

Oh yeah I'm going for the bundle pack of "Five Parsecs" in for penny in for a pound. Plus like you I like how the description of of the rule say you can cross over to the other rules and back again or in any direction the dice lead you.

I like your asteroid tug and where your going with it in your story line, nice idea! Are you thinking of working your crew up to something, like a ship's tug? If you get a few credits for some of a ship's stores, then what do you get for a whole SHIP!?
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2019, 06:55:15 PM »
That is a good question, Monkey. Technically speaking, the Salvage team game only talks about a ship's upkeep cost (2 credits per turn unless the campaign event rolls add more) but never really talks about what kind of ship you get for those 2 credits. I imagined it was something modest. I guess I'll have to see where it goes, but I assume the tug would have a comparable cost to the drop ship, comparable upkeep, etc. If I ever step into a bigger ship, then maybe upkeep goes up? More crew also increases upkeep, so at some point you almost have to have crews working in parallel to make the money to support a bigger crew. There really isn't anything that I've read that would say you couldn't split the crew and send half out to do a contract and half to do an encounter? Encounters can be as simple as grabbing what you can and getting out. Contracts have to be cleared (all points of interest resolved) to get paid. So the effort on a contract goes up, and an encounter is pretty "let's wander around and see what we get into."

That said, I suppose the next scenario of finding the shuttle crew member on the run would need to be more of a "They are out to get me. Whoever finds this I'll pay you XXX credits to get me off world. I'll be hiding in town" type of contract.

Loved your city board, by the way. That is on my hobby list for the weekend.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2019, 03:08:03 AM »
 Thank You.

I am interested to hear what the rule call for on bigger ships, I guess one could establish  a home base, for when a crew is out on a contract, the home base team could be running down leads and rumors, which could bring the gang wars rules into play.

From what little I know of the rules it sound like slug thrower weapon are the main weapons in the game, correct or are there more? I like the idea of it being a bit more "Firefly" ish, I know in Travellers  weapons, buying trading and restrictions depended on the tech level of the planet you maybe at and it's  local laws.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2019, 01:08:56 PM »
I think you could certainly implement a trading cap on what you could get out of a trade on a low tech planet. I find that Salvage Team (I have looked at others less closely) is basically set up so that most weapons are reasonable, but then you always get a shot at grabbing some cool alien tech out of the loot charts. It is a low percentage, but there are some elite level items you can get with the right rolls.

As for slug throwers or "lasers" it is both. Some weapons are classified as "blaster" which tells me it is probably Star Wars type pew-pew energy weapons. Pistols seem to be about the most common style of weapons, and though they have reduced range they serve a real purpose as they are the only gun you can bring to a knife fight. The game doesn't allow for brawling with rifles, which makes some sense. Different editions of Five Parsecs have different weapon options. K'erin weapons (from Five Parsecs Aliens) tend to be a bit more battle ready and pack more damage. The K'erin are based off of some warrior alien race, like the Klingons, etc.

Five Parsecs From Home has three weapon charts: Low tech, Military weapons, and Hi-tech. Gang Warfare has some additional street/prison style improvised weapons and moves away from the hi-tech side of things. Definitely looks like a list of things you buy in a back alley.

The large ship might be a way to jump to a new location, and might also be the next reason the crew finds themselves in debt, which requires more jobs, etc.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2019, 05:16:38 PM »
Coming soon, the Frontier town of Forbear on the planet Bakwotter:

Originally settled by an eccentric alien who was determined to build his own zoo, this plot of land was labeled "For Bear" on the map. After his death, this particular parcel was simply known as Forbear. Having no understanding of what a "bear" was, or why Forbear is apropos for the current state of the town, Forbear settled right in as a quiet little mining town.

Still a WIP, the cork needs painted, the roads/sidewalks need painted, and then the roads need glued down. Should be ready for the upcoming game on Sunday.

What about buildings? Oh, I have that covered. I've been a busy little beaver over the weekend!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - Start of the town of Forbear 9/16
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2019, 08:33:28 PM »
Great tiles, looking forward to see them populated!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2019, 09:16:13 PM »
Great tiles, looking forward to see them populated!

Won't have to wait long. It is all painting from here out. That shouldn't be too hard to knock out something table worthy. Might take more time to give it some "wow."

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2019, 11:03:24 PM »
Andrew,
Thanks for the update on the rules, I can see were one can enjoy many of great hours with this game, I'm  so looking forward to it. Thanks again.

Your tiles are looking great already, I like the lead in to new builds mystery too. :D

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2019, 07:59:39 AM »
That looks very promising!  :-*

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2019, 02:28:17 PM »
And, without further ado... the first six buildings of Forbear. Four residences and two commercial properties.

I wanted to keep the buildings plot/game related, so the first commercial property is the new Eat What is Given. In case you aren't aware, this is the name of an actual restaurant in Russia. Here it is in all its glory:

My version:

Orange and black with light grey trim. Appetite inducing for sure! Because this is one of the "see the sights" locations, I wanted to be able to get a representation of meeting for food and overhearing conversations to pick up leads.

The second commercial building is a medical center. Since wounded characters can spend some time healing, I also wanted there to be some story telling setting as to where they are staying. This is a building with some multi level rooms. So the back office is a "second floor" location. Eventual set dressing will include a waiting room (top right), a reception desk (low wall in the middle), a surgical suite (bottom left), and a recovery room with a couple hospital beds (bottom right).

Residences may have some multi-level rooms (left residence has a raised bedroom). Most buildings will be built with these side gaps so there can be room to move between buildings. Patchy the Pirate is standing in the gap. Also, I decided to go with a cut out for windows vice painting them in. I figure future windows might have the same kind of force field system that keeps the shuttle bay in the Enterprise from being sucked into the void. The future is wonderful!

And the best thing? Stackable!

Right now the goal is to get all this painted up before Sunday. Nothing fancy, just block the colors and get back to refresh/update them later.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - Town of Forbear now with buildings 9/17
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2019, 08:41:26 PM »
Wow!  :-* Those are going to look great! The idea of bringing  the ship idea to the building is a great idea, I have been fighting with this issue for a long time do I get railroad model buildings or MDF  buildings, either way they both would have to play around or very limited indoor play due to the height of the walls.

I wanted buildings for 15mm  Zombie games, for most part it was looking like I would have to just play around the buildings, seeing your buildings just once and it hit me, I could build an exterior  building shell  to go over the interior designs so the I can have a table of buildings looking the street part and have playable interiors as well just lift off the shell of it's cover, okay it may not be totally  stackable but I will be okay with that. I can have the best of two worlds exterior buildings like Ockman's and interiors like yours!

So you may be able to do the exterior of your builds as such later on, plus it would be fun to have some roof to roof action as well, or being rescued by your teams shuttle because the local crime boss wanted to double cross you on a deal and you were able to grad the creds  and run! Only the only way out was the roof!

I'm  guessing the homes are 4x4  inches and the commercial buildings are 4x8  inch as well, over all and the extra strip are about a half inch making the alley about one inch when building are brought  together.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:48:15 PM by War Monkey »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2019, 09:04:50 PM »
Yep, bases are 4x4" and 4x8". Buildings are somewhere in the neighborhood of 3x4 and 7x4 to allow for 1/2" spaces on the sides. Put together you get something that is roughly 1" for a sidewalk between buildings.

You could pretty easily create tops for buildings if you wanted. Truthfully, I'm not sure how important it is for my gaming enjoyment. I'm basing Forbear off of a frontier mining town. Something more like this:

Etc... but with a vaguely sci-fi feel. At this stage, I don't want it to be too "bright lights, big city" feeling. To me, that also means no population density that would require a lot of vertical development. There may end up being a small handful of pieces which would allow for some rooftop sniper action, but that might be confined to a handful of centerpiece builds. Mostly I just want the floorplans and corners to hide behind.

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2019, 06:30:56 AM »
What a brilliant idea! Looking forward to the final result :D

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2019, 01:51:02 PM »
What a brilliant idea! Looking forward to the final result :D

Thanks, Torben! Don't blink or you might miss something...

Today is more updates on the starship dungeon crawl:

First up is a completed  build for starship #2. I'll probably bulk paint the remaining sections at once, or as needed for scenarios. It may be a little hard to see, but the bridge is completed for this as well.

This is bridge setup #3. It will be more of a Millenium Falcon style layout with an asymmetric bridge on the lower arm, with a two seat cockpit.

Because no engine room is complete without engines, here is the engine build for engine room #2.

A matching, and mirror image pair, to be exact.

Everything remains stackable. I purchased some new paper stock for the outside hull panels. It is thin enough to create curves,rather than angled bends at corners, and cuts much easier. It is maybe about as heavy as 3x5 note card stock, which should have enough edge to run some wash around it to differentiate the panels.

Goal tonight is to get the four residential buildings block painted. Details will come later.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2019, 06:24:02 PM »
The ships look great! Many a great hours of gaming  are coming I see!

So playing around  with the graph paper I figure, if you move the back walls inward like you did for the side wall, you can create a space behind the buildings making a back alley to move through if you happen to put the buildings back to back, which I think can work really well.

Looking forward to seeing your work on those great buildings too!

Man, I'm so jealous, your working on some rally  great builds, with great ideas and I'm stuck out of town only able to doodle around with graph paper for at lease a better part of another month now.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 06:37:30 PM by War Monkey »