Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:10:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 91994 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Upgraded home with some furniture 5/29
« Reply #420 on: May 29, 2020, 06:12:34 PM »
Lovely building!

Love that stark yellow!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Upgraded home with some furniture 5/29
« Reply #421 on: June 01, 2020, 08:06:23 PM »
The first of my push mold "all matter printer" (AMP) devices. A little like a Star Trek Replicator, but used to 3d print any approved template. Obviously different people in the galaxy rate different templates (only bankers can replicate money, for instance).

Of course, entrepreneurial types are always hacking these things, and all sorts of goodies can be replicated, but the good people at WalMultiCorp are pretty diligent about locking down and replacing defective units. So while a hack might work once, or a few dozen times, it won't work forever.

Units are sometimes shipped long distances, or scrapped off of a damaged deep space vessel, so they aren't always pristine. Even if they look a little rugged, chances are they will still make a perfectly functional "whatever" for your use.

These AMPs were designed to fit into my ship dungeons, so they are a little shorter than 15mm.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- All Matter Printer (AMP) update 6/1
« Reply #422 on: June 01, 2020, 09:49:30 PM »
That is some great work all around, Wow!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #423 on: June 02, 2020, 06:30:52 AM »
Sweet!

They are really, really good looking!

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #424 on: June 02, 2020, 07:40:18 AM »
Brilliant stuff! From the title I thought you'd got an actual 3D printer  lol

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #425 on: June 02, 2020, 12:54:57 PM »
I'm still on the fence about 3d printing, but I think that is how a large portion of the gaming world is going to go in the next 3-5 years. I suspect there will be far less brick and mortar companies, and if they produce physical objects I imagine they will 3d print them. It makes sense, right? an on-demand ability to produce figures without running casts of dozens and ending up with a surplus that may not sell for years. Plus, then companies also don't have to eliminate a product line, ever. No need to make room for something new, or retool for a new product. Keep the digital files and print whatever people are asking for. I also suspect that while there may be some issues with QC in 3d printing, the same exists in casting. I've been more than a little bummed to get a miscast figure with large casting lines or bubbles.

While better printers will certainly hit the market, I think the next big jump will be for someone to do what Hero Forge does, but with different scales and focus. Imagine being able to pose, dress, and print exactly the 15mm sci-fi army you want. Need four anti-tank weapons, but want two of them to represent a reloading phase? Pose them and order the four you need and not the platoon with figures that will add to the lead bin.

If we get to that point, I can imagine getting a 3d printer. Until then I'll glue and sculpt. There is something meditative about the hands-on creation of something. While part of my hobby experience is playing games, the much larger focus for me is simply creating. Maybe 3d printing could, someday, scratch that itch but I suspect I'll always want my PVA and 2-part epoxy as a way to relax.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #426 on: June 02, 2020, 04:45:57 PM »
Hey Cook,
Another nice addition to your ever growing collection my friend.
Without taking away any merit from the great work that 3D sculptors do
there is nothing like physical sculpting with putty and stuff.

I suppose we will have Michealangelo's with huge 3d printers in the future, churning out
David's and the like..... :D

Though I would like to learn 3d and eventually buy a 3d printer
there is nothing like kitbashing.

I'm sure that both will remain part of the hobby. 3d printing is the next
evolution and just another tool.

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #427 on: June 02, 2020, 05:19:48 PM »
The next big update for my space dungeon terrain is for bridge #3. Rather than piecing this out bit by bit, I went ahead and measured/purpose built everything. The process certainly went faster to get stuff built. Here is the totality of the new bits. The captain's control as well as helm was already part of the original construction, but you can see this was left a pretty blank slate, actually.

This little alcove, located outside/behind the main bridge, is likely to end up as the deep space sensor suite. That nice big screen will make a nice LIDAR ranging screen. The side computer will be linked by some tubing and act as an additional processor. Perhaps something specialized for tracking and categorizing non-natural phenomenon like cloaking or residual traces from weapons fire.

Port side, behind bridge: I wanted to do some larger generic computer banks in this build, so some of these pieces get pretty large. I think this is 2-ish inches in length. The large screen on the left will be a good star chart for navigation.

Starboard side behind bridge: Some random science stations:

Starboard side, in front of the bridge: This shows one of the few pieces I had already built for this bridge. To the left will be communications. I wanted to play with some angular surfaces. To the right is another computer bank. The gold bits are from a nail art kit I bought forever ago because I liked the shape of the pieces (except the hearts, I suppose).

Port side, bridge wall:

Port side in front of the bridge:

Starboard side bridge wall:

So, right now everything is primed grey and waiting for all the detail work. Hopefully I'll have finished products to show by next week.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Bridge #3 details under construction 6/2
« Reply #428 on: June 02, 2020, 09:13:13 PM »
It's amazing how the right placement and a touch of paint turn such a clean collection of shapes into something so recognizably spaceshipy.  Very inspirational.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #429 on: June 02, 2020, 11:29:49 PM »
That looks gorgeous, man. Time for some boarding actions.

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
« Reply #430 on: June 02, 2020, 11:39:09 PM »
Outstanding!
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #431 on: June 03, 2020, 06:06:25 AM »
Awesome consoles, friend!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #432 on: June 03, 2020, 04:36:49 PM »
Thanks, all. I appreciate the kind words and feedback. Most of my recent work has been the boring task of priming sculpts for paint. Nothing fancy there to show, yet, so I don't have a lot more to display right now. I'm hoping to get in a new game this weekend and post a battle report on top of some finished figures next week.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #433 on: June 04, 2020, 12:09:49 AM »
Wow that is all turning out excellent! I can't wait to see how the paint finish turns out!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #434 on: June 17, 2020, 03:12:12 PM »
Wait no longer, Monkey!  :D

Painted bridge pieces for Bridge #3. I've been pleased with all of my additions, but this one really came out to be my favorite. Need to circle back on some of the previous bridges now. 

A nice scenic shot looking at the view screen:

Port outside:

Port iside:

Starboard inside (still some room to do something here):

Starboard outside:

And the small console room behind the helm and command seats:

More updates to come this week as I get close to finishing up some more sculpts and terrain.