Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:24:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 91988 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Some terrain updates 6/1
« Reply #615 on: June 08, 2021, 03:01:02 PM »
More terrain updates. Here is my revised set of hills:

These were originally just some cork pieces leftover from making my planetside tiles. That was fine, but then I went a step further and based them on some MDF. Then it all looked too blue, so I added the sawdust turf, and finally, to break up that visual I added grass tufts in three different colors from a darker orange/red to a hot pink/purple.

Alien plant clumps got the same grass/turf treatment:

Offline Eliot

• Assistant
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Some terrain updates 6/8
« Reply #616 on: June 08, 2021, 07:46:30 PM »
Agreed all around. Those backdrops are great. I will also be stealing it.
Looking forward to the wip shots.

Eliot

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #617 on: June 08, 2021, 07:50:05 PM »
Those alien plant scatter pieces are just on point!  :-* :D

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #618 on: June 09, 2021, 06:11:07 PM »
Some mish-mash today. This 3d print was just too awesome to pass up. It ticks both the silly and nostalgic boxes for me. Behold, the aftermath of another failed space invasion!

I may go back and print a couple more to make a bone field as one particular region of my world. A pink and green rusted invasion hulk would really wind out this scene. This print is seven different pieces. What you see above is assembled "as planned" but it could easily be built with a missing ear, arm, legs, etc. You could even tilt it on its side (the print is split one line left of the center.

This is another sculpt that I made to update my "Self Aware Vending Machine" character. It is not a part of a faction, but more of a colorful character that features in quests. The building process was a little different as the main body is PVC foam, and the features were sculpted onto the vending machine body.

From the look of him, I suspect he has a wide array of powdered fruit drinks and makes a habit of running through walls.

Offline Eliot

• Assistant
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New terrain and sculpt 6/9
« Reply #619 on: June 09, 2021, 09:13:57 PM »
Both are great! The crashed space invader is awesome and a field of them would be even more so.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #620 on: June 10, 2021, 01:00:27 AM »
Both are great! The crashed space invader is awesome and a field of them would be even more so.

I agree that would look great with an added touch of having an old rusted out laser cannon at the other end.  :D
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #621 on: June 10, 2021, 05:30:22 PM »
One of the things I wanted to have for my spaceport was some classic spacecraft. On one hand, they keep me connected to the nostalgia of my childhood. They also better describe the kind of old and worn-out vessels you would see in a very out-of-the-way place like the planet Bakwotter. 

So we have a Colonial Viper (MKI I believe) which serves as the planet's "anti-pirate" and asteroid belt security force. Of course, "force" is a bit of a misnomer as the planet only has two.

This ship, of Buck Rogers fame. The 4-seater Thunderfighter is perfect for dad to engage in some deep space dogfights while giving mom enough room to pick up the space groceries or drop the kids off at zero-gravity soccer practice!

Here we have some Spaceballs influence. The Mini-Eagle is perfect for the space bachelor who likes to travel. It provides cramped living quarters for deep space travel between crashing on couches at the homes of distant relatives and guys you knew in college. It has been known to do the Kessel Run in 3 1/2 weeks while accidentally having one turn signal engaged for the entire trip. A spare tire cover is included for free, but the manufacturer suggests that space is better used for stashing your Delvani-4 space weed, or as a quick location to cram all of your dirty socks moments before some suitable partner shows up for consensual interspecies fondling.

Lastly, we have the C.R.A.B. (Common Route Ambulatory Bus). CRABs are essentially autonomous vehicles with a simple AI that travels a pre-programmed route around an inhabited area. It's a bus in the most basic sense of the word. When a CRAB arrives at a CRAB stop, the roof fully retracts and citizens climb in and out of the vehicle on both sides. The "wing" creates a convenient area to check for passing vehicles before stepping out into traffic. The CRAB effectively carries its own armored curb with it. The difference between a CRAB and an Earth Bus is that there is no driver, and there are no wheels. CRABs use a system of locomotion that is similar to a millipede. With thousands of tiny legs that operate almost like oars, the CRAB maintains friction with the surface below it and has the ability to move in any direction. This is useful for CRABs that operate in densely populated urban areas, but that really hasn't been a thing since most developed worlds began phasing out mass transportation in favor of trans-dimensional phase-shifting couches... or working from home. As CRABS became to be plentiful in supply they were shipped to outlying systems where the simpleton AI's could live out their purpose in peace. Driving this way and that, happily going about the only business they know.

Thrusters can help the CRAB move quickly over relatively flat ground and thus they are effective for longer routes as well. That will be a nice option if Bakwotter ever settles more territories around the planet. Bakwotter hardly warrants such a robust public transportation system, but as the planet is flat the CRAB company thought it would make a nice retirement home for the aging vehicles. These two are the first CRABs to reach Bakwotter, but it is rumored that several hundred more have been loaded on a sub-light freighter bound for Bakwotter. They are set to arrive in 500-600 years. Maybe by then, there will be more need.

The CRAB can comfortably seat ten passengers plus carry-on luggage. Of course, that is roughly 1/5th of the permanent population of the frontier town of Forbear. At any point in time, 40% of all the citizens in town could be on a CRAB. That rarely happens though, and the citizens have taken to placing domestic robots and pets in the seats so that the CRABs will continue to run their routes. When empty, a CRAB will simply follow someone until the hapless individual agrees to get a ride. On one occasion, old man Zorx casually walked by both CRABs, which followed him to his place of work and seemed to stare longingly at the building until Zorx went home. That might have been weird enough, but the CRABs were so close to the building that they blocked the doors and people avoided approaching out of fear that the CRABs would latch onto them when they didn't need a ride. Of course, the CRAB drives a route and many a citizen has ended up being late to work because they took a pity ride. A five-minute walk could turn into an hour ride around town, traveling away from the intended destination. Better that various animals, bots, and volleyballs with faces painted on, spend the day skittering around the town. The CRABs don't seem to know the difference so long as there are passengers.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- 3d printed vehicles 6/10
« Reply #622 on: June 10, 2021, 08:35:03 PM »
Nice to see someone else join the Camper van in space madness  lol

And I like nostalgic ships, very tempted to get a bunch of Battlestar Galactica ships in 15mm for a Cylon War mini-project.

I've seen a few Babylon Five ships out there and very tempted to get them too.

CRABS sound a bit hectic, think i'll stick to a good old fashioned manned vehicle.

Offline Eliot

• Assistant
« Reply #623 on: June 11, 2021, 01:28:59 AM »
I have no idea how but I’m thinking maybe the first annual LAF drag race. Bus vs Bus. Whoever makes it to the finish line with all their limbs wins!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #624 on: June 11, 2021, 06:33:15 PM »
Here is the first part of my starship crew. From left to right: Hull technician, porter and cargo handler, logistics and cargo manifest officer, Engine technician, cargo security bot, pilot.

My next six sculpts will be travelers and passengers, and then I'm going to circle back to this and knock out another six crew which will likely include the Captain, 1st mate, Science Officer/sensor operator, medic, and a couple figures who will do double duty as mess cooks on ship or kitchen workers in town.

Offline Eliot

• Assistant
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- starship crew sculpts 6/11
« Reply #625 on: June 11, 2021, 09:26:18 PM »
Looking at your ship interior makes me realize I need to add a LOT more details to my terrain to bring it into scale.

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #626 on: June 14, 2021, 08:03:28 AM »
Damn, Andrew... your terrain is just gorgeous. I allready liked your alien world, but all your vehicles leave me speechless. Exquisite work, as always!  :-*

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #627 on: June 14, 2021, 02:08:14 PM »
Looking at your ship interior makes me realize I need to add a LOT more details to my terrain to bring it into scale.

Well, keep in mind that the above image is a mini-setting for taking photos and doesn't really represent my actual tabletop terrain. I do like details in my gaming terrain, but the piece above is a bit more involved than I typically do. Even if that just means that the flooring is fully decked out and the walls are all taller, it isn't my normal.

Glad you like the improved details, Skully. I think that I'm finding that updating/upgrading my old terrain has more bang for the buck than trying to build a lot of new stuff at this point.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #628 on: June 28, 2021, 03:21:36 PM »
I finished sculpting and painting five new galactic civilians:

By character, left to right: Drunken sports fan mantis shrimp, Emissary of the Phart empire and mechanical arm salesperson, Heiress taking a gap year with her yapping pet, a steel fisted wandering monk, Decapodian itinerant dentist.

Eagerly looking out the window wondering what will await them at their next port of call.

I started five new dollies over the weekend. The next sculpts will be my starship crew part-2. Then I'll probably come back to civilian residents part-2 (service workers). I have a number of terrain items in the works which will add a farm, a company town for my miners, and the First Nation settlement. These will all be bigger terrain pieces which will be encounters outside of town. I have a few new in-town related buildings coming up too. Mostly places to eat and shop kiosks.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- galactic civilians part-1 6/28
« Reply #629 on: June 28, 2021, 03:49:20 PM »
Nice work there.  I've been playing around with some sculpting too, and it's not as easy as you make it look.  :)