Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:32:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686490
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 92010 times)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Starship 3d design and sculpt 8/25
« Reply #660 on: August 26, 2021, 05:29:50 PM »
Thanks, Tom. Coming from you that is high praise indeed!

Rich, I've never seen that game before. The tiles are mostly in the ballpark for what I'm going for, though that level of detail may be hard for my beginner skills lol. The game has a look and feel that I really appreciate, and the figures are awesome! Not the standard brooding space elves or orcs, but something very alien. Really awesome, and a lot of good inspiration there.

I played 1st edition a fair bit, haven't tried 2nd although I don't think it changed radically.  A hard game to categorize - it's one of those almost-an-RPG things where you're tracking experience and character growth for a single crewman per player, so crews are really small.  Actual gameplay is very scenario oriented where you have mission objectives from high command that determine whether you advance or not, and there's a tremendous number of missions, some connected, some standalone, many of which feel vaguely like they could have been an episode of early Trek or Lost In Space.  The combat (of which there's a lot) is a simultaneous ship-versus-ship and personal-combat thing, with boarding actions (using teleporters and boarding torpedoes to get there) happening all the time.  The key to success is how well you manage to balance manning ship systems to fight and maneuver on the starship map versus the time you spend driving off enemy boarders or rampaging around the enemy ship murdering their systems operators.  Biggest ship in the universe isn't much good if all its crew have been carved into chunks by a silicoid with a lightsaber.

Add a bunch of skills that let you bend the rules, fairly extensive gear choices, a bunch of (as you noted) unusually alien species, and a bunch of supplements that expand the game in various ways (from cosmic horror scenarios to a campaign around peaceful-ish exploration) and it's got some meat on its bones.  Very tongue in cheek game, not at all serious scifi, but playing it is quite the experience if you can find about 4-6 people to play.  Bit of an underrated gem IMO.

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Basic test starship painted 8/26
« Reply #661 on: August 26, 2021, 06:33:02 PM »
I love your new stuff! It's nice to see that you have jumped into 3D-printing but that your painted results remain so very much "Andrew"!  :-*  :-*  :-* 

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #662 on: August 26, 2021, 07:11:05 PM »
Rich, that sounds pretty awesome, really. I currently have a small group meeting to play D&D, so maybe that could be up next!

Skully, the design is mine too so it pretty well reflects my scratch building as well as my painting. In the end, I am scratch building everything but I'm designing with digital files and not cardboard and foam core. It has been the most fun I've had terrain building in a couple years. I am still working on some trash bashing and other projects, but I think my 15mm sci-fi is going to entirely gravitate in this direction.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #663 on: August 27, 2021, 08:04:46 PM »
Some more sculpts to show before the weekend. This is Mel (Right) and Melba (left) with their two kids Melroy (piggyback) and Meldene (swaddled). I decided to make the whole family some play on the name Mel.

Mel used to be a member of my crew but suffered a career-ending injury. I couldn't stand to let him not continue to live in my world, so he bought a restaurant in town (Mel's Munch & Motor). Now that he has more time on his hands, he decided to make an honest woman out of his cousin Melba. Mel is a bit of a backwoods yokel, and having the hots for his cousin was always part of his awkward dialogue. I also like him doing the Al Bundy hands-down-the-pants pose. It suits him.

So you can see Mel's space-peg leg on the left side. In a rather hair-brained money-saving scheme, Mel has signed the family up for "Right Shoes Only" discount subscription footwear box. Originally planned as a way for people to "sample" shoes at a discount, RSO sends a new shoe every so often, but only the right shoe. So while that suits Mel just fine, Melba just was to go barefoot on the left side. Since she was mostly just barefoot and pregnant before she got hitched to Mel, she figures that he has really moved her up in the world! Why, none of the other female cousins have shoes at all! Mel is a downright feminist as far as she is concerned. Always taking care of his special lady.

I currently have something like 12 new sculpts in the works for my 15mm world, so my plan is to get a handful ready for primer by the end of the weekend. This set will include some new starship crewmembers, new combatants for existing factions, some more civilians, and a couple of new critters.

I'm also starting on three custom sculpted characters for my D&D group, which will be my first forray into the world of 28mm-ish sculpting.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Two new sculpts 8/27
« Reply #664 on: August 31, 2021, 06:31:05 PM »
Final sculpt for the week. I introduce Pope Dylus III, the local spiritual leader hailing from the Church of Mutual Ambivalence.

After having labored for a long time to try and convince congregations to believe in the message of the church, a great reformation took place in which the church capitulated and simply started agreeing with whatever the particular member wanted to believe. Want to practice salvation through eating toast on Tuesdays? Done. Feel like you earned your way into an afterlife because you pet three cats a day? Of course! Feel closer to salvation by swinging your eye stalks in a figure-eight pattern? The church couldn't agree more.

While the church started off feeling downright zealous about their newfound popularity and widespread confirmation of even the weirdest beliefs, they quickly found it tiresome to agree with everything. Thus, the church entered the current period of mutual ambivalence. People felt little need to run oddball religious ideas past ordained clergy, being quite confident that their idea will be confirmed as legit. Likewise, clergy felt little need to make a big show of salvation by way of... anything. Most liturgical exchanges have been boiled down to a monotone "Can I? Yes." At which point the clergy waves their hands/tails/eye stalks in any manner they see fit and the act of salvation is presumed to have taken place. To the delight of all, church services now last roughly 6 seconds.

Pope Dylus III had a rather lukewarm, though perfectly acceptable, career as a clergy. Being a cold-blooded and unfeeling reptilian meant that his sermons sometimes ranged into the lengthy 45-second range, as it often takes him a little extra time to even care enough to even start saying "Yes." These longer services appeal to some churchgoers as they believe that someday Dylus will care so little as to say "No" and thus start some mind-blowing counter-reformation. To avoid any potential inconvenience, the church has seen fit to tuck Pope Dylus in the most out-of-the-way spot they could imagine; the planet of Bakwotter.

"Accipere omnia" - The Church of Mutual Ambiguity.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Brought to you by the space pope 8/31
« Reply #665 on: September 01, 2021, 06:27:55 PM »
I love Mel and Melba! Those visors are amazing!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #666 on: September 01, 2021, 06:39:13 PM »
I love Mel and Melba! Those visors are amazing!

Thanks! I was thinking they weren't my best work, but I decided to try something different anyway. They ended up good enough for my table even if they weren't what I imagined when I set out.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #667 on: September 08, 2021, 09:03:39 PM »
A second ship has entered orbit!

This is still a bit of a WIP, but there was enough there to toss together for some pictures. The engines are just about done getting painted and then they will be glued into position.

The little furniture drop-in bits are coming along. Looking at the shelving units (lower left) I think they may need a retool. They are a bit too clunky.

I have also designed a few drop-in units that have a T-wall to break up the rooms a little bit more. This locker-room configuration is one, and there are stateroom suites, and then toilets (sorry, no toilet stall doors in space).

It also occurred to me that the white square in the middle of the room is a standard size for many tiles and I could make something to fit into that space as well. It would leave a walkway around the outside edges of the room and could help change some sightlines through a ship.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #668 on: September 09, 2021, 02:58:47 AM »
I really like the Starship layout. 

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #669 on: September 09, 2021, 01:20:32 PM »
Thanks, Louie.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #670 on: September 09, 2021, 02:49:40 PM »
Here is the next ship design. This features three new tiles. Bridge design B, Engine room B, and the curved room airlock (bottom middle). The four-way intersection is not new, but this may be the first time I've shown it.

The bridge is, like the basic bridge A, designed with a set of terminals in mind. I'm still working through some of the details here, but they will be glued in this configuration once I'm done with them. I also noticed that I have some space for some thinner detail plates on the back walls, so I'll probably work something up to that effect and add them later on.

Engine room B is another 100x100mm tile based on the basic curved room that you can see above. This was a test of some print-in-place engines and controls. Engine Room A and the wider 100x200mm engine room both have internal workings that are printed separately. Overall I didn't have any issues getting the engines painted in place but I think I will do some minor redesigns to make printing less fussy.

Lastly, I wanted to show some advantages of the scenery inserts. Below is a 90mm wall. In the background, you can see a single 90mm insert but I've also chunked some of the elements into smaller bits. On the left there is a 30mm shelf. In the middle is a 40mm cabinet/drawer combo. On the right is a 20mm shelf. These smaller units also make it possible to create a wide range of spaces. Over time, I hope to have a wide variety of these little terrain pieces to add flavor.

Not test printed yet are my toilets, transporters, and some storage tanks. Does anyone else have thoughts on other terrain items? Off the top of my head, I'm planning some galley pieces (cook tops, sink, etc), hydroponic grow beds, and some generic pipe runs and mechanicals to indicate more industrial spaces (like an engine room). Other ideas?

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New printed starship dungeons 9/9
« Reply #671 on: September 09, 2021, 03:00:10 PM »
Other ideas?

Pop-up turrets for boarding/anti-hijacking defenses, maybe?  They were kind of popular in Traveller back in the day, and seem like the kind of thing a ship owner might want.  Weapons ought to be specialized to limit damage to the ship itself, so low-penetration stuff like shotguns, flechette launchers or microwave zappers.  Anything that won't poke a hole in a bulkhead easily while still killing the baddies.  Or maybe nonlethal stuff like magical stun-guns or electrolaser/taser arrays, if there's a reason not to be killing people.  Crew safety regs, fear of them being used on legit passengers, or just "take 'em alive" bounties on pirates?

Do some innocuous floor hatches for the closed version and a turret weapon mount for when the wepaon is active, and have spare hatches that just lead to underdeck machinery and act as dummies so the baddies don't know which hatches conceal real threats.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New printed starship dungeons 9/9
« Reply #672 on: September 09, 2021, 03:06:16 PM »
Those are good ideas, Rich. I like that. The sci-fi version of the trunk monkey! lol

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #673 on: September 09, 2021, 03:20:29 PM »
Love the spaceship .  Something about it remind me of the awful green things from outer space. 

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #674 on: September 09, 2021, 04:49:47 PM »
Love the spaceship .  Something about it remind me of the awful green things from outer space.

I had to look that one up, but I could see the similarities. Lots of rooms, broken up into defined spaces, to create a whole ship.