Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:39:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686550
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 92021 times)

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New 3d design pieces 9/16
« Reply #690 on: September 21, 2021, 10:11:40 PM »
Zrunelord

I One of the functions I like a lot is that you can type in the move movement you want for the object to move it up, down, left, right lean this way or that way, by typing in numbers of degrees on any of the three point axles or you can do all of that manually do it as well, just by click and move. The grid is laid out in Millimeters.

Cook
That's my plan. Start with the filament printer and move up after learning the ins and outs of slicing and supports.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New 3d design pieces 9/16
« Reply #691 on: September 27, 2021, 09:49:46 PM »
After spending some time working up Ockman's Peregrine ship for printing (I should be done painting it in the next day or two, and it looks pretty good!) I have decided to spend a little time working on ships for all of my 5 Parsecs factions. Ock's ship is going to the local thugs. This ship will be going to a salvage team with questionable morals. This is Pink Pat's mining tug, the Bi-Polar Express.

I do have a WIP cardboard ship, but I think this one is far closer to being finished! While lacking any obvious weapons, the Bi-Polar Express uses its strong-force array (the weird blocks on the wings) to grab and hurl asteroids at larger ships. This SFA is typically used for helping to manipulate larger deep-space vessels the way a tugboat might. The ship's patron, Pink Pat, has figured out a way to boost the force and reverse the polarity which makes it an effective junk cannon.

Still adding some bits and bobs, but I should have this on the printer Friday night and hope to have it painted by the end of the weekend.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New 3d small ship 9/27
« Reply #692 on: September 28, 2021, 05:59:17 AM »
Looking good, Cook .
How large is it?
When you say a wip cardboard ship you mean in tinkercard or you also card + 3d parts ?
I sometimes build out of card, because it's quicker etc., & supplement with 3d parts for detail .

Good to know WM,
Thanks for the tip.

Keep it up Cook
Z
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 12:14:41 PM by zrunelord »
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #693 on: September 28, 2021, 01:14:30 PM »
I mean I previously constructed a similar ship out of cardboard and foam core. The card ship was larger and had a playable interior, but in hindsight, that is probably silly since the interior was smaller than a standard starship room, and the ship itself didn't fit inside the starship hangar. So in gameplay, it just hung out outside the starship dungeon but wasn't ever playable space as such. It was a decent concept, but ultimately not useful.

This ship (currently measuring 20mm tall, 80mm wide, and 71mm long) will fit inside the new hangar space which is 100mm wide (interior of 92mm) and 125mm in length. So now crews can enter the starship dungeon by landing on it/in it and ships stay small enough that they will fit pretty easily into my starport setup on the planet. Before these ships were so large that I struggled to pack them all in.

I showed Ockman's Peregrine on his thread, but never posted it here.

This is my riff on his Peregrine ship that Ockman scratch built. The final print is 97.5mm long, 75mm wide, and 23mm tall.

I got through painting the windows last night, so I think I'll be varnishing it tonight, and hitting the windows with some gloss and it will be done!

I find that I like to design, but my construction skills are rarely as useful as my creativity. I will probably always scratch build some things, but the more I play with 3d design the less inclined I am to spend hours gluing things when I can set up the printer and go watch a movie while my new design magically appears several hours later  lol

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #694 on: September 28, 2021, 02:07:07 PM »
It is a good solid design, kudos.
As I said, I often build out of cardboard ( cheaper and importantly much quicker ) then I just print parts to stick on.

Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #695 on: September 29, 2021, 04:29:40 PM »
Ockman's Peregrine printed and painted up! I went with a different color scheme, of course  :)

Windows down the side of the crew compartment.

Sorry for the poor image on the back end.

And The Pernicious Snark (far left) with his crew and their new ride!

But what about the bottom? What would one see as the ship flew overhead?!

I'll never look at this side of the model but figured some street thugs would want a ship with some sick decals. So those watching the ship land would get a load of the totally rad firebird coming at them!

And in a more scenic setting:

This was a great little print. Quick off the printer, easy to paint up, and the overall look fits my aesthetic. I'll probably work on a couple of remixes of this frame since I've already put in leg work to get it designed. It will be easy enough to swap parts on/off to change it up a bit.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Small ship (Ockman's Peregrine) painted 9/29
« Reply #696 on: September 29, 2021, 06:01:57 PM »
WOW! That turned out great!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #697 on: September 29, 2021, 07:21:53 PM »
WOW! That turned out great!

Yes, for a 7-day design/production/finished paint job, that isn't half bad. Easier to have some inspiration to draw from than go straight from daydreaming to design, but all in all that was a success in my book.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #698 on: September 30, 2021, 03:53:03 AM »
Wow, Andrew - I'm stunned!

Love your take on the Peregrine, it's amazing!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #699 on: September 30, 2021, 11:59:26 AM »
I wrote a little something about this on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUcXxzsN1fh/?utm_medium=copy_link

If you don't want to click that link, here is what I wrote:

One thing I love about the 15mm community is the sharing of ideas, how one's work can inspire someone else, how these cross-pollinations create new, exciting things.
Fellow hobbyist CookAndrewB at Lead Adventure Forum liked my little spaceship design, so he made a 3d sculpt inspired by it, added his own flair, printed and painted it.
It's such an amazing thing, that the little thing I built in two winter days suddenly is being printed half-across the world!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #700 on: September 30, 2021, 01:40:49 PM »
Very cool. Much more to follow!

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #701 on: September 30, 2021, 05:58:55 PM »
It did come out quite nice.
Good job. ;)

Z

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #702 on: September 30, 2021, 07:33:17 PM »
That is really Great!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #703 on: September 30, 2021, 09:33:43 PM »
Why design one ship completely when you can have two that aren't ready to print?  :? Well, I got distracted designing another ship and still haven't wrapped up my last one even though I intend to print it tomorrow. Anyway, this is the next ship, the Trou. This ship is a bit larger at 80mm wide, 106mm long, and 26mm tall.

The Trou is a salvage vessel and is intended for longer treks scouring the asteroid belts for derelict ships. It is also built to have ample cargo hold space so she is a bit thicker than the other vessels. I imagine this class of vessel like a crab fishing ship. Not fancy, fast, or luxurious but reliable and durable for dirty work. The green piece in front is part of the ship's scanner, sensor, and deflector array. The red on top will be part of a roof rack design that allows the Trou to haul sections of ship plating or other rugged goods that don't need to be inside.

Exit from the Trou is by two side doors which step out onto the flight surfaces forward of the atmospheric engine intakes.

The Trou has both primary engines for space flight and a secondary set of atmosphere processing thrusters for an additional boost getting off-world in a flying brick.

There is the start of a secondary deflector and tractor beam array in the rear as well (more green).

Still lots of work to do on this, but off to a good start to be able to print it next weekend. Now, to get busy wrapping up the mining tug!

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #704 on: October 01, 2021, 12:46:23 PM »
Super !!! :D

I personally like this one more...
Nice work.

Z