Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:40:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690482
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) TROPICAL VILLAGE BUILDER  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
(COMMERCIAL) TROPICAL VILLAGE BUILDER
« on: July 15, 2019, 03:51:35 PM »
Hi guys,

after my ships I wanted to make some buildings to go with my pirates. To start I want to make some generic island buildings for pirates and other settings.

Here is the concept sketches showing the modules.

So there will be main building types and then some extensions/verandas for some variation.

Imagine bright caribbean colours on the wood, faded and chipped for weathering and palm leaf roofs.

I also want to do some special buildlings like tavern or prison. Pirates surely have prisons sometimes. If you have more ideas you would like for Island or Pirate setting let me know  :D

Chris
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:29:45 PM by Papierschnitzel »

Offline Terryb

• Librarian
Re: PIRATE / TROPICAL VILLAGE HOUSES
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 05:27:38 PM »
They look really nice

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 05:36:20 PM »
Lookin' good. I'll be interested to see how you execute palm frond roofs.

Your pirate settlement needs a tavern, a smithy, a ship chandler, a trader/fence, a brothel and a nice sit-down restaurant. Wait, belay that last.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 06:29:03 AM »
Lookin' good. I'll be interested to see how you execute palm frond roofs.

Your pirate settlement needs a tavern, a smithy, a ship chandler, a trader/fence, a brothel and a nice sit-down restaurant. Wait, belay that last.

Great ideas! Thank you. Between the tavern and the brothel I don't think the Pirates will need much more for their crude entertainment  :D

For the roof, I am working on a texture, starting with some pictures and painting them in my mixed realism/illustrated style. One thing I want to try this time is to make a one-row-of -"tiles/leaf" part option, that you can layer like real roof would be, so the final roof will not be just a flat part but have a little surface structure. Hoping this will bring a bit more realism and interesting visual detail to the boring flat geometry of the roof!

Chris

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 12:53:18 PM »
Interesting! :)

According to period texts, many French houses in St-Domingue c.1700 were indeed made of wooden planks, with roof in wooden shingles.

Stonemasons were rare and expensive, but there were many former ship carpenters who found better to settle and work on shore than live on ships. And Father Labat who visited the islands in this time mentions a sawyer from Poland (how did he get there!?) so there were probably many sawyers too.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 02:13:43 PM »
Interesting! :)

According to period texts, many French houses in St-Domingue c.1700 were indeed made of wooden planks, with roof in wooden shingles.

Stonemasons were rare and expensive, but there were many former ship carpenters who found better to settle and work on shore than live on ships. And Father Labat who visited the islands in this time mentions a sawyer from Poland (how did he get there!?) so there were probably many sawyers too.

A wooden shingle roof sure is an alternative option. But as I have done that on other buildings before I am more excited about tackling the palm leaf roof for now  :)

Another option I am thinking to make later is a bamboo hut version for a more Asian island type ...

Chris

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 07:32:23 AM »
I have started prototyping and here are some variations of the first house set coming up.

So besides the solo house (5x3")  you can add the extension (3x2). This can be a walled version, making the house larger or an open veranda type.

I am also making an advanced version of the usual easy stair if you want to have that detail  :)

The extensions will be hold together by the platform part. I will provide a couple of those and you can easily kitbash them into more layouts if you want to.

Here are more layouts with just the first two modules. I will add two more core houses, but with just the first set potential (and adding texture and color variations) I can see a full village with lots of unique looking houses already!

Check out my Patreon articles for more details.

Besides the Pirates-on-Islands theme I can also see them huts used in some Aztec village setting. Any other ideas for use?

Chris

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 04:54:37 AM »
Here are first pics of the textured outside! Bear in mind it's the pristine look as I haven't done the weathering yet, so there will be sun bleach, dirt and maybe moss coming up.

The rustic plain wood version ... should be great for any island or pirate village.

And if you add colors I imagine it being a civilian caribbean island village.

Once I have the interior done I will make another set of builds with open veranda and open doors and windows. Also I am looking forward to aging the look with proper weathering.

Chris

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 01:35:15 PM »
Here a little overview of the weathering I have added. So there will be the usual scratches and dirt but also sun-bleach on the bottom. And as an additional option I have added a "moss" layer for the humid and swampy climate zones.

Here is a build compare of pristine vs. weathered. I went very light so it doesn't read that well on the pic (too many lights) but I think you get the idea. Also I started the interior builds.

I have cut out all the doors and windows and will add the open parts later. The veranda/porch extension looks great once all the open areas are cut out!

I will include some interior stuff like chairs and tables for the basic bits series. They would make a great add in this project!

While intended these buildings for my pirates it seems many would like to use them in pacifc islands modern warfare scenarios, so I will include more texture variations later (like bamboo walls, metal roof etc.).

Chris

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 07:22:41 AM »
While I intended these buildings to be a run down version of a colorful Caribbean Island village for my Pirates I have heard lots of ideas how to use the plain version.

So here I have built a first layout with a couple of variations of the first set house and extension.

Now I have to dig out my pirate paper minis and try to stage a scene!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
Re: (COMMERCIAL) TROPICAL VILLAGE BUILDER
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 12:33:12 PM »
I have finally finished and released the first set of the Tropical Village Builder!

Here is a little diorama I made: "The Navy has discovered the Pirates nest"

If you are interested, check out the post on my site (http://www.papierschnitzel.com/tropical-village-builder/) for more pics and shop info.

Enjoy
Chris

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 05:31:25 AM »
Very nice work. Thank you for sharing.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 05:50:21 AM »
You are welcome :-)

Just working on releasing the second set of the series!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 09:27:39 AM »
The DELUXE Edition (full custamization options) of the second set has been released on Gumroad (https://gumroad.com/l/dryIV)

This time you get a 4x4" core house and two 4x2" veranda extension, plus the usual interior and combo layout options.
Enjoy  :)