Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bretonnian OldHammer Kings of War Project - new pics Sept 21, 2023  (Read 10547 times)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: Bretonnian OldHammer Kings of War Project - Oathmark figs 2019-10-15
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 08:58:54 AM »
Just so you're aware, Mantic have a huge supplement called 'Armies of Pannithor' about eight weeks away (maybe less) which introduces something like 10+ more lists to the game. Kingdoms of Men are in there, as are the two divisions of Brotherhood and the Varangur.

If you're on FB keep an eye on the Kings of War Fanatics page for army previews from the upcoming supplement.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater either way - you've done a phenomenal job with this project and there are already rules to use for these guys (they would be well fielded as Basileans, for example). :)
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 04:06:48 PM »
That's great news! Thanks for posting.

Please tell me the supplement will be available in hard copy? :D

Thanks
n

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2019, 07:50:26 PM »
I have really enjoyed this thread and your work has inspired me to buy some Oathmark figures-you have made them look superb! I must say the women's heads look like they came as part of the kit or did you buy them separately?

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2019, 07:59:18 PM »
Brilliant work,the Statuesque conversions are :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2019, 10:21:25 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, appreciated!

I must say the women's heads look like they came as part of the kit or did you buy them separately?

I *really* wish that the Oathmark figs came with women's heads, but sadly they didn't. I picked up some of the female head sprus from Statuesque miniatures. I believe the ones I picked up were Heroic Scale NARROW helmetless, which are large enough to work well with basically any of the modern plastic figures available today, including the Oathmark figs. They are sci-fi heads, but the helmetless ones work for your basic poor medieval troops I think; their modern hairstyles are more believable than dragons in my eyes :D It's very important to note though that *the neck posts on the female heads are quite long and need to be cut down to look proper*. If you don't cut the posts, they'll have abnormal-looking high heads.

My method was to ball up some putty and put it in the head hole, flatten if down, cut about 2mm off of the neck post of the head and just stick it in. Take a moment to position it correctly and then use a sculpting too to make it look more like the surrounding cloth. Viola, done. The statuesque heads are just great and I ordered thirty of them for various projects to add women into my miniature world.

Here's a great link to scale pictures of the Statuesque heads: http://khorosho-productions.blogspot.com/p/comparison-photos.html

Thanks
n
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 10:26:11 PM by Neldoreth »

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2021, 04:37:38 PM »
I finished another figure for this project recently... A foot knight for the Bretonnians!

I really wanted a foot knight, but the eBay price for the old GW figs was just too much... So I looked at Norba, Reaper, and others, and found these fantastic Bretonnian-inspired knights sculpter by Werner Klocke and thought they looked fantastic and fit the bill well.

I have like eight more to paint... haha.

Thanks
n
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 10:49:27 PM by Neldoreth »

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2021, 05:22:40 PM »
That's a great choice for a foot knight, and the paint job you gave it is superb! The scene for the photo is great, too.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2021, 05:40:08 PM »
I finished another figure for this project recently... A foot knight for the Bretonnians!

I really wanted a foot knight, but the eBay price for the old GW figs was just too much... So I looked at Norba, Reaper, and others, and found these fantastic Bretonnian-inspired knights sculpter by Werner Klocke and thought they looked fantastic and fit the bill well.

Excellent paintjob!
If I may say, I would not recommend buying from Norba. I've heard many complaints about terrible casting and poor customer treatment.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2021, 10:21:53 PM »
That's a great choice for a foot knight, and the paint job you gave it is superb! The scene for the photo is great, too.

Thanks for the kind words, appreciated!

Excellent paintjob!
If I may say, I would not recommend buying from Norba. I've heard many complaints about terrible casting and poor customer treatment.

Thanks for the kind words, and also for the warning. That's too bad... but I'll steer clear.

Thanks
Joe

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
Re: Bretonnian OldHammer Kings of War Project - Foot Knight July 13, 2021
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2023, 06:45:21 PM »
Two years later...

With the teasing of Warhammer the Old World, I have rebased and added a few new figures to this Bretonnian ment-at-arms unit, including a new standard bearer! I am really liking the look of these figs on the larger 25mm bases.

Thanks
n
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 10:49:48 PM by Neldoreth »

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Bretonnian OldHammer Kings of War Project - Foot Knight Sept 21, 2023
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2023, 07:08:24 PM »
Excellent, the Varangian Guard during their little known contract for the Bretonnian crown!  ;)

The paint jobs look great. The unit has impressive volume (6x3 figures?). It’s a bit of a shame that Bretonnian infantry get killed fast in most versions of WFB, but at least yours will look very classy while they’re on the table!

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
Re: Bretonnian OldHammer Kings of War Project - Foot Knight Sept 21, 2023
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2023, 07:14:39 PM »
Excellent, the Varangian Guard during their little known contract for the Bretonnian crown!  ;)

Haha, you know me, always trying to bring a little Viking into every project :)

The paint jobs look great. The unit has impressive volume (6x3 figures?). It’s a bit of a shame that Bretonnian infantry get killed fast in most versions of WFB, but at least yours will look very classy while they’re on the table!

Thanks for the kind words, and yes, 18 figures. I had to paint up a few more of them because originally when they were on the unit base for Kings of War there were fewer... It is a shame that they die quickly, isn't it? I know some players don't bring any foot at all, given that the mounted units are so powerful... I just can't leave these giant-shielded men at arms at home though, they're just too pretty haha :)

Thanks again!
n

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
Re: Bretonnian OldHammer Kings of War Project - new pics Sept 21, 2023
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2023, 04:19:32 PM »
Great project, I really like the desaturated red-white-black colour scheme.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2023, 01:10:26 AM »
Great project, I really like the desaturated red-white-black colour scheme.

Thanks!

Did you happen to see the latest Bretonnian figures from GW painted up? They totally stole this paint scheme, haha! Seriously though, I didn't invent it, but I was surprised to see their small army worth of figures painted up very similarly. Check them out here: Barons of Bretonnia - Warhammer Community

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2023, 04:40:15 PM »
Thanks!

Did you happen to see the latest Bretonnian figures from GW painted up? They totally stole this paint scheme, haha! Seriously though, I didn't invent it, but I was surprised to see their small army worth of figures painted up very similarly. Check them out here: Barons of Bretonnia - Warhammer Community
I like yours better.
They simply use the heraldry of Massone from the old Army book, and I find weird that they dropped the idea of painting all the knights unique colour schemes (like you and the old Bretonnians did). According to the interview this was a design choice to favour painting, and it looks cool for infantry, but the visual appeal of Bretonnian knights (and the 14th century knights they were stolen from) is that everyone displays his own colours, making a knightly army a vibrant, colourful parade.