Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:56:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686650
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Samurai Weapons  (Read 2023 times)

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Samurai Weapons
« on: July 20, 2019, 04:15:43 PM »
Well I am redoing some Samurai (old Dixon figs) and need to redo a bunch of weapons. I was thinking of making some of the weapons - katanas and such - using either plastic or brass filed down to shape. Does anyone reading this having any ideas on this???

I could just buy some replacement weapons but to be honest, most of them don't look all that great either, at least the ones I have seen from the main manufacturers.

I also need to make a load of sashimonos, as the Dixon and Perry ones are pretty thick. Suggestions on a fast but accurate method on this project would be most welcomed! :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Re: Samurai Weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 08:31:01 PM »
Come on people, there are loads of creative gurus on this forum...please help me out here ;)

Offline Hunlion

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 08:42:25 PM »
Try Puppets wars...  https://puppetswar.eu/

They do Katanas and Sashimonos (thin ones)

Hunlion

Offline Hunlion

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 08:52:33 PM »
or...... Make your own.   Paper ones. ( tutorial on facebook, just PM me if you want to see it)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:45:46 PM by Hunlion »

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 09:09:38 PM »
I'm making my own katanas from plasticard but  they are VERY fiddly and fragile. Photo-etched ones could be better, i reckon.

As for the sashimonos... check out my building thread, i JUST published a tutorial! for that!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=118272

Offline Hunlion

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 09:39:46 PM »
My own Tomato paste Sashimonos made way back in the 80's

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 09:53:28 PM »
We have some 28mm at Steel Fist Miniatures.
Katana and yari. SDW 18 & 19 are the codes. New stock for these due in very soon.
https://www.steelfistminiatures.com/product-category/samurai-wars-c1550-1615-product_cat-19/sashimono-decals-and-weapons-product_cat-19/

Cheers, Simon.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 09:59:11 PM »
My own Tomato paste Sashimonos made way back in the 80's

Pretty cool! :) Yeah, as said in the tutorial the technique isn't new, but there are a few extra tricks that do add a bit to the sashimonos! ^^

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 09:20:08 AM »
Thanks guys...keep the ideas flowing!

@Hunlion sent for a link to your tutorial on sashimono banners

@Sangennaru great link and that was the approach I was going to try but I was concerned about the production time of having to do hundreds of them. So how long does it take to make one? Also, is there a better way to make that T-junction joint? I thought about soldering a joint but I am not that great at soddering. I also thought of just making a master and then doing a resin version but didn't think it would be strong enough. My first choice would be to make one on a 3D resin printer using a flex resin - that is once I get my Anycubic 3D printer! ;)

@Painterman, yes Simon, I saw these but they were out of stock...any idea when they will be back in stock?

So any other ideas, especially on how to make samurai style blades? I am mostly doing replacement blades for the metal ones (like you find on Dixon and Perry Minis), so I need something strong (and sharp would be nice too!  ;D ).

Thanks to those that have provided input and the rest of you that will...hint hint...  :D

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 09:36:00 AM »
@Sangennaru great link and that was the approach I was going to try but I was concerned about the production time of having to do hundreds of them. So how long does it take to make one? Also, is there a better way to make that T-junction joint? I thought about soldering a joint but I am not that great at soddering. I also thought of just making a master and then doing a resin version but didn't think it would be strong enough. My first choice would be to make one on a 3D resin printer using a flex resin - that is once I get my Anycubic 3D printer! ;)

I think it depends on the level of quality you want for your army. It took me about 40 minutes to make these two. But if i'll make 12 (and I will) i would be done in an hour tops.
I usually spend about two hour to paint a figure at the lowest quality i can accept (i'm slow, and i try to reach a good quality in any case), so that extra time is totally fine.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 12:24:32 AM »
Well back from the summer holiday and eager to get busy on some hobby projects, like making a load of weapons to replace the ones on my 25-28mm Samurai figs (Perry & Dixon...and no, I won't be mixing them!  ;D ). So any other great ideas??? If so, please share your knowledge/experience with us all.  ;)