Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:00:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691100
  • Total Topics: 118372
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dumb Napoleonic Saxony question  (Read 1029 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Dumb Napoleonic Saxony question
« on: August 21, 2019, 07:49:21 PM »
Are Westphalians and Saxons the same thing? I fancied some of the Calpe Miniatures Saxons for my French Peninsular force , but I wanted to paint them as Westphalians in the white and blue facings. Are the uniforms and shakos the same?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
Re: Dumb Napoleonic Saxony questionfan
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 08:42:02 PM »
Different states but I think mostly the uniforms are very similar, the cuffs may be different (depending on the sources you look at!) but I think that the main difference is the style of side arm with the Westphalians using a French style sabre-briquet and the Saxons a German style hirschenfanger (not sure about the spelling of these two).

The sabre-briquet is curved and has a hand guard to the hilt whilst the hirschenfanger is straight and has no guard.

Later most Westphalian fusiliers probably did not carry a sword side arm wearing just a single French style cartridge belt with the bayonet attached on the right

The shako badge is different but if you are using the covered ones it does not matter.

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Re: Dumb Napoleonic Saxony question
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 10:28:26 PM »
The critical difference is that Westphalian elite companies (grenadiers and Voltigeurs) had fringed epaulattes.  The Saxons didn't have fringed epaulettes.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 10:29:03 PM »
Ah  many thanks the commissar, good info. I believe officially no fusiliers carried swords by 1809 , I will have a good look at the Calpe ones .

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 10:32:43 PM »
The critical difference is that Westphalian elite companies (grenadiers and Voltigeurs) had fringed epaulattes.  The Saxons didn't have fringed epaulettes.

Thanks. I have only just had this idea and haven't yet even got the relevant Osprey titles.  Thought I would just throw it out there. It looks like it I can get round the few differences then !

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 10:46:04 PM »
Thanks. I have only just had this idea and haven't yet even got the relevant Osprey titles.  Thought I would just throw it out there. It looks like it I can get round the few differences then !
Yeah I've had the same thoughts wrt AB Figures Saxons.  If AB only did a Saxon guardsman (who did wear fringed epaulettes) in shako that would open up a whole raft of possibilities wrt Westphalia, Berg, Hessen-Darmstaedt, etc.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 11:02:51 PM »
Have you checked the new AB's in later post 1812 habit veste, fringed epaulettes, cross belts and covered shakos?

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:04:31 PM by huevans »

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 12:00:17 PM »
Cheers Huey!

Yes, I had heard that they were on the way, but there's nothing on the AB Figures website.  I was rather hoping for earlier Confederation types with full shako-ornamentation - cords and plumes - like the Saxons.  And grenadiers in bearskins would be nice... But beggars can't be choosers and they'll do the job!  :D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 12:06:50 PM by Jemima Fawr »

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 06:11:45 PM »
Cheers Huey!

Yes, I had heard that they were on the way, but there's nothing on the AB Figures website.  I was rather hoping for earlier Confederation types with full shako-ornamentation - cords and plumes - like the Saxons.  And grenadiers in bearskins would be nice... But beggars can't be choosers and they'll do the job!  :D

I suspect that the covered shakos are a convenient way of making the little chaps suitable for everything from French Waterloo to pre 1812 Saxony, Berg and Westphalia. You can always put in a request for some bearskin variants with Eureka, I guess. They will be on the website in early September.

If you are looking for suitable other little AB's for conversion projects, might I recommend the Nassau and Netherlands figures. Lots of fellows in single breasted jackets with either covered or decorated shakos. It wouldn't take much, if any green stuff and filing to make them into all sorts of other chaps.

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 08:05:09 PM »
I suspect that the covered shakos are a convenient way of making the little chaps suitable for everything from French Waterloo to pre 1812 Saxony, Berg and Westphalia. You can always put in a request for some bearskin variants with Eureka, I guess. They will be on the website in early September.

If you are looking for suitable other little AB's for conversion projects, might I recommend the Nassau and Netherlands figures. Lots of fellows in single breasted jackets with either covered or decorated shakos. It wouldn't take much, if any green stuff and filing to make them into all sorts of other chaps.
That's very kind of you, but I think you underestimate my sheer level of modelling incompetence...  ;)