Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:43:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 649
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: War of Polish Succession 1733. The Battle of Sobieszewo  (Read 4664 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: War of Polish Succession 1733. The Battle of Sobieszewo
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »
The Polish camp held...
...while the Saxon infantry continue marching triumphantly...
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2019, 07:03:46 PM »
Your Eighteenth Century Battles are always GLORIOUS affairs with masses of BEAUTIFULLY painted miniature warriors. This game raised the standard to an even higher level. WONDERFULLY INSPIRING!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2019, 09:39:13 PM »
Your Eighteenth Century Battles are always GLORIOUS affairs with masses of BEAUTIFULLY painted miniature warriors. This game raised the standard to an even higher level. WONDERFULLY INSPIRING!

Thank you for taking the time to read and your so kind reply!
I'm always happy to share a full battle report!

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2019, 02:16:02 PM »
what a wonderful game! The AAR was great. A feast for the eyes! I love the scenery and the beautiful figures. I wish I were with you...

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2019, 04:35:52 PM »
Marvelous stuff! And I am glad that Sangfroid kept his cool.  ;)
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »
what a wonderful game! The AAR was great. A feast for the eyes! I love the scenery and the beautiful figures. I wish I were with you...

Ah my friend!
It was a pity that you were in vacations, it was a spectacular game and Panos Pap a so seasoned wargamer who grasped the rules in the air!
It was very interesting that we played with the Marlburian tables, the infantry and artillery fire is weaker and the frontal cavalry attacks more dangerous!
I'm sure that if we replay the Charles Grant's Infantry vs Cavalry scenario transferring it to this period, the results would favor the cavalry side!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2019, 05:33:37 PM »
Marvelous stuff! And I am glad that Sangfroid kept his cool.  ;)

Thank you! It was an exciting battle, based on a strange scenario  :D

Yes, Monsieur de Sangfroid kept his cool  8)
He had enough listening to Dindin's vanity, Comte de Millefeuille was a real windbag!
But, as you'll see, leaving him to serve somewhere else, was not very helpful for his career lol

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 08:42:31 PM by DintheDin »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2019, 02:31:43 PM »
Assessment of the game

Panos Pap is a formidable opponent and played the Saxon-Polish in a very aggressive way.

My Franco-Bavarians with Leszczynski were quite unlucky, as my first thrusts with the three French grenadier battalions and a large Winged Hussars regiment, all superior, met a wall of 4s and 5s and were done for or retreated to reform.

On the seventh round I had already lost 7 units to Panos three, all Leszczynki's guard perished and he had to flee, so it was useless for the Franco-Bavarians to fight further and we called it a day.

Offline ArisK

• Bookworm
    • The Pear At War
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2019, 11:07:42 AM »
Glad to see the much-maligned Saxons chalk up a victory.
That table is gorgeous, I'll have to work doubly hard to offer up something comparable next time I set up a game. Always raising the bar, Din!
Aris K.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2019, 08:35:32 PM »
Glad to see the much-maligned Saxons chalk up a victory.
That table is gorgeous, I'll have to work doubly hard to offer up something comparable next time I set up a game. Always raising the bar, Din!
Aris K.

Hi pal!
A fiction game was needed to see the Saxons win, although I estimate them highly, as you know I have TYW and SYW and Nap Saxons...
As for the bar, I'm ageing and it is more and more difficult to limbo dance, so I raise it a bit, so just to crouch passing under  lol

Offline ArisK

• Bookworm
    • The Pear At War
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2019, 04:17:20 PM »
Now THAT is an idea for a command stand!
Aris K.

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2019, 09:01:56 PM »
Beautiful table and figs.  And a nice AAR.

But I have a question.   Were Winged Hussars and armored Pancerni still being used
in the 1730s?   Is there somewhere I can read up on this?

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2019, 09:06:51 PM »

But I have a question.   Were Winged Hussars and armored Pancerni still being used

Very unlikely...

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2019, 09:16:40 PM »

Thank you for your good words!

@Pan Marek @AdamPHayes

As I said in the introduction of this thread, the battle was completely fictional, I just wanted to give my Winged Hussars the opportunity to take some fresh air  :)
About the decline of the Winged Hussars, please read this small article: The Hussars were abolished by the Sejm in 1775.
https://about-history.com/the-golden-age-of-the-winged-hussars/

The decline of the Hussars
With the development of firearms and artillery, by the beginning of the 17th century, heavy cavalry began to disappear from the composition of the Western European armies. The reformed armies of Western European states successfully opposed the hussars, and when they clashed with them, the hussars became an ineffective anachronism. In August 1622, under the Mitau, the hussars could not even launch an attack, pressed by the fire of the Swedish musketeers and gunners.
Similar scenes were repeated in 1626 under Anger, under Dirschau (1627), and during the Flood (1655-1658). However, the Ukrainian Cossacks struck the most tangible blow to the hussars. The hussars could not counterpose them to the tactics of the walking-city and squall gunfire.

At the beginning of the XVIII century, the Commonwealth was drawn into the Northern War. The Polish army was faced with an excellent Swedish army. The very first general battle of Klischev in 1702 revealed the advantage of the Swedes – the Polish cavalry unit, half of which were winged hussars, was stopped by artificial obstacles (Spanish goats). The commander of the Polish army, the hetman coroner Jerome Lubomirsky ordered the retreat from the battlefield.
The Polish and Ukrainian plain landscape and the need to fight with the Turks, Tatars and Russians for a long time extended the use of hussars. But in the end, in 1775, the Seym decided to abolish the hussar. Winged hussars were replaced by more efficient, mobile and lightly armed Polish lancers.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 10:44:22 AM »
Now THAT is an idea for a command stand!
Aris K.

A subjugated general, perhaps, Aris?  lol
This was a custom of the Ancient Romans, to pass their defeated enemies under the yoke.
Sub iugum ---> subjugate

Some fellow players deserve that, from time to time  ;)